1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 PM

sorting brass by headstamps

On 45 ACP, do you guys sort your brass by headstamp?

I'm somewhat new to reloading, and the other cartridge I reload is 6.8 SPC (like a 270 but for the AR-15 platform). On the 6.8 brass makers vary the thickness of their brass enough to vary the powder capacity +/- around a grain. So if you work up a warm, compressed load for a higher capacity case, then put the same load in a lower capacity case...

I'm guessing this isn't a problem with 45 ACP? Based on the lower pressure of 45 ACP, and (as far as I know) the charges aren't compressed...

I bought about a 1k of once fired 45 brass, and sorted it because it seemed like the thing to do at the time. I think I'll continue sorting, so I can shoot a particular headstamp at a time and make it easier to spot my brass. But I was just wondering if its also a safety issue on 45?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 PM

The only time I sort my Brass is when I am trying to work up a certain type of load for my 1911's.

It is a easy thing to do when you have 1000 pieces, but after that point it gets to become a PITA.............

Clyde
Old 12-11-2010, 12:46 PM

Ive noticed small variations when it comes to .45 brass that i have.

Winchester is .888-.897 and every where in between, i have yet to find a batch that is even close from once case to another, but it cleans up well.

Federal seems to have the largest flash holes and stays consistant at .892- .894

Aguila/PMC is some of the cheaper/thinner brass, i consistantly discard their once fired brass.

MFS is about the same and has a pin hole for a flash hole.

RP is nice brass but i have yet to gather enough together to load up a solid batch.

Fiocchi cleans up to a really nice shine, the primer pockets for some reason are also easier to clean.

I really dont have a goto/favorite .45acp case, but i reload Winchesters prob the most because its what i have the most of

Hope this helped
Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM

You'll find most people dont sort their 45 brass. I'm one of the few who do. I find each brand has different characteristics as far as the way each die works on it. My reloads are very consistent when sorted by brand. I dont find it to be a big deal to keep it sorted, I just grab all the same brand when going to the range. If I'm lucky enough to pick up someone elses once fired brass while I'm there, I just consider the sorting to be the price paid for free brass. There is no safety issue I can think of. I also gauge my reloads so I can inspect the brass that does not gauge. To me, thats the critical part of reloading.... tossing cracked brass..... not shooting it.
Social Justice: The concept of charging the government to take wealth from those who have been productive and redistribute it to individuals who have not been productive in order to prevent them from ever being motivated enough to attain social, economic or mental independence. (modern slavery)
"1911 Stuff"
Old 12-11-2010, 02:57 PM

I do not sort but will load as I pick when reloading. But! I will pick out 10 of a brand when I am running over my chrno as I feel there are sometimes differences and they can show up when you are working up a pet load. jmo Jim
Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM

The thing to do is to find a load you like and then try a series using both mixed and sorted brass and see if your gun can tell a difference.
In general, handguns just are not accurate enough to benefit from anything beyond uniform bullets and powder charges.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 AM

I sort my 45 & 9mm brass. I keep the Winchester, Remington & Federal brass seperate. Everything else goes in the same bucket to use for lost brass matches.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 AM

I was about to ask almost the same question. I sort by NATO, Military, And Comm. (Win, Fed, Rem) Mainly because of the primer crimp... Now They have the Winchecter "NT" Thats find, But the Federal "NT" some are crimped and some are not... It gets a little pricey, When it cost you a primer, that is twice the price on the case... That was for the 9mm, But i hear also the .45ACP's (some) are now coming out with small pistol primers... If I get any, plan on saving them till I have over 5K, then reload!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:43 AM

I sort as I load. AMERC brass goes in the scrap box. The rest get loaded.

My product shoots waaayyy better than I can hold it.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM

If working up a load I do and also sort and shoot all same brass in 45acp
in the Ruger Bisley 45acp cylinder loaded with Wad Cutters
Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socomm View Post
When it cost you a primer, that is twice the price on the case...
ok, you've got my curiosity. What primers are you buying, and what are you paying for cases?

I paid $55 delivered for 1k cases, which is 5.5 cents each. I bough wolf primers for $18.50 per k, which is 1.85 cents each. So I can buy 3 primer for the cost of one case.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM

defining tedious

I sort every size except 45 ACP.
For the 45 I have 'new', and 'used' (okay, I may sort out a brand of nickel, or just nickel, or maybe some brands, but I ain't anal about the 45 sorting. Sort of).
Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 PM

I confess

I'm a sorter. The specs on each load include the brass headstamp and whether nickel or brass.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:35 PM

I have some that has been sorted becasue I'm a bit OCD at times, but the vast majority of my handloads is with a mix of Fed, Win, RP and CCI brass. I can't tell a difference shooting them. Loading them however, I have noticed that Win brass is noticably hard to seat a primer in.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them. -- Thomas Paine
Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Im a sorter and a batcher!!

I dont have a .45 (Australian laws.....)

However, regardless of the caolbre I notice a much greater variation on mixed headstamps and mixed times it has been reloaded, followed by mixed times it has been reloaded.

I have gotten the most consistent results over the chronograph from batched brass of known quantity of reloads. This corresponds to detter results on the target at 50 yds.

However day to day practice or plinking I used what I call my "training brass" which works fine, except the odd split as it ages.

Cheers,

Aussie D
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM

I do sort 9mm but not by head stamps alone more of an inspection since someone else's brass may have gotten into my brass.
Glocks balloon the bases so much I cull those out. They end up with a ring where the carbide sizer stops sizing the brass.
I do shoot them once if I am at a place/time when i can not recover spent brass or if it is going to get mashed/trampled on.
If I do have 1000 cases and 80-90% same head stamp then I will do head stamps
Old 12-12-2010, 06:14 PM

In .45 ACP, I cull the cases which use small pistol primers, as well as as brass with FC headstamps.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksJoe View Post
On 45 ACP, do you guys sort your brass by headstamp?

I'm somewhat new to reloading, and the other cartridge I reload is 6.8 SPC (like a 270 but for the AR-15 platform). On the 6.8 brass makers vary the thickness of their brass enough to vary the powder capacity +/- around a grain. So if you work up a warm, compressed load for a higher capacity case, then put the same load in a lower capacity case...

I'm guessing this isn't a problem with 45 ACP? Based on the lower pressure of 45 ACP, and (as far as I know) the charges aren't compressed...

I bought about a 1k of once fired 45 brass, and sorted it because it seemed like the thing to do at the time. I think I'll continue sorting, so I can shoot a particular headstamp at a time and make it easier to spot my brass. But I was just wondering if its also a safety issue on 45?
I separate by "large primer" and "small primer" - and that's it. I have not found that it makes enough difference to be worth the trouble considering how I shoot (or how much I shoot)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleevandyke View Post
I separate by "large primer" and "small primer" - and that's it. I have not found that it makes enough difference to be worth the trouble considering how I shoot (or how much I shoot)
That's about as far as I go with it also. Considering I have about 30 five gallon tidy cat litter buckets full of 45 cases, I'm not gonna get too anal about it.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 PM

I only sort by once fired and nickel.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt4me View Post
In .45 ACP, I cull the cases which use small pistol primers, as well as as brass with FC headstamps.
Something wrong with Federal I don't know about?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Effects View Post
Something wrong with Federal I don't know about?
I don't have the tools to swage the crimped military primer pockets on FC 97 brass, for example.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Any any make of brass will do me & my 1911, & same for 38 Spl or 9mm.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Sorting by headstamp

I never sort my .45 cases by headstamp. If I want to work up an extreme accuracy load, I will use either new or once fired brass with the same headstamp. I inspect cases for cracks, but more often than not, I can hear the difference since a cracked case makes a "tinny sound" when I move the cases around.