1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 PM

Pro Carry II vs. Pro TLE II

I'm looking to get a Kimber Pro series. I looked at both a Pro Carry II and a Pro TLE II side by side today. Don't know which I would rather have, the TLE II is about $185 more than the Pro Carry II. I like the front strap checkering, night sights and all steel frame of the TLE II. I like the weight, price and trigger on the Pro Carry II. What I found most interesting was the trigger of the Pro Carry II seemed so much crisper than the TLE's trigger. The trigger on the TLE II seemed very mushy compared to the crispness of the Pro Carry's trigger. Can anyone explain to me why that would be, Am I just imagining it? Or is the trigger different? Could I adjust it? If so how? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 PM

You can always have the trigger tuned. You can also have the front strap checkered. You can also switch the sights to night sights.

But alas, you said you liked the all steel frame of the TLE, but also the weight of the Carry. To me that seems to be your biggest choice because that's not something you can readily change at some point down the road.

So pick the TLE for the "heft" and all steelness, or the Carry for the weight. If you decide on the carry, spend the savings in price on having the trigger tuned (~$75), and night sights put on ($50-$150 depending on what you pick). Then when you've got some extra cash around, have the front strap checkered.

That way you get the gun that you want, not the best compromise between what you want and what Kimber offers off the rack. BUT, all those choices do involve a trip to a gunsmith, so that is a consideration- especially if there aren't any good 1911 'smiths around you locally. Could be a bit more trouble because of shipping off your gun, etc.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

While I'm a big fan of the Stainless TLE Pro, it's hard to argue against a tricked out Stainless Pro Carry II.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM

As said the trigger can be cleaned up and it sounds like the one you handled might need it. Otherwise, functionality of each should be the same. The difference is only what you've pointed out in the frame material, checkering and sights.

Another option is the Pro Carry HD which has a stainless steel frame as well. The Pro Carry and Stainless Pro Carry have alloy frames. If you want lighter, go that route, if you want all steel, go the TLE or HD route.

If you know you want things like checkering, it's cheaper to just buy the gun with it. If not, you have options down the road.

Also, if you really want it, you can order the lighter Pro Carry from a Master Dealer and have checkering, night sights or anything else you want done to it added. I'm not sure of the time to get it, but the cost will be cheaper than having it done later. Obviously that might be more hassle if it's not something you really need.

You can see a tricked out Pro Carry HD in my sig line. (dang, I need current pictures!! )
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by SRJim; 12-03-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post

You can see a tricked out Pro Carry HD in my sig line. (dang, I need current pictures!! )
I like the way Chuck flushed your slide stop. I wish I would have thought about that when I had do my guns. Looks great.