1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Armscor Medallion Series

OK guy and gals, I'm new here, so don't yell at the wheel gun guy, OK.

I was just looking at the Armscor Web site, and see that the weapon that I bought was a Medallion Series. Mine was a 2002 production, from the information that I got back from the company. By the way, excellent customer service on answering my questions. Anyway...

What are the major differences between the Medallion and the GI series? I have 5 Springfield magazines, some of them fit fine, some are very tight. A search showed to clean them with Rem-Lube. Any other suggestions?

What about grips? I would like something bigger that will fit my fat paws a little bit better.

Thanks for any advice. I'll take questions, comments, or rude remarks. I got broad shoulders. It goes with my big belly. There a matched set.
Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 AM

First off YOUR A VERY LUCKY GUY!!! If you bought a Armscor MEDALLION roll marked pistol - you have a RARE GEM. I have not seen one for sale in 5 years.
They MEDALLION in the US was the PREMIER model for RIA Armscor at the time. Last imported for sale in 2005
The came in two configurations, std and tactical
Both came with Ambi safety and FLGR's
Std had typical round top slide for a 1911 - Novak style rear sights - F/O front sight.
The Tactical had a adjust Bomar style rear - F/O front sight - serrated slide top - checker grip safety and rear of slide.
Both came with SS hard chrome lined barrels.
Blued - Hard Chrome and Bi Toned -Blued slide and HC frame
came single stack - and double stack
45acp - 40cal and 38super There were a few and I mean a few blued in 9mm.
the wide body medallions have Bull barrels - the single stacks have bushing barrels.
The blued 45 came with wraparound grips.
All specs on the pistol are Gov colt specs - so any full size grips for a 1911 with fit it.

Post pictures for us
Tell us the story behind it - where you bought it etc. I am also very curious to know what you paid for it!!!
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
COTEP Member; CBOB0695

Last edited by old-lefty; 11-24-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-lefty View Post
Post pictures for us
Tell us the story behind it - where you bought it etc. I am also very curious to know what you paid for it!!!
OK, problem #1, I don't know how to post pictures. You can send me a message with an e-mail address, and I can send a picture to you. Or, you can just e-mail me @ [email protected]. Put something in the subject line that will make me understand that it is from you, because it will go to my spam box.

To be honest, I just ran across this at a small gun shop in Effingham, IL. I had been looking for a 1911, like what I carried in the Army, and he had a this .45 with the skeleton hammer and trigger. I went online to Amscore, and by what I could match up in the pictures , was a Medallion Series. An e-mail to the company said the weapon was a 2002 production. It came with two stainless magazines with the magazine pads all ready on them. I paid under $400 for it. Still was in the box.

I bought the weapon mostly for range use. Like I said, I'm a wheel guy at heart, and that is what I keep by the night stand.

Thanks for the info.
Regards,
Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 AM

Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
OK, problem #1, I don't know how to post pictures. You can send me a message with an e-mail address, and I can send a picture to you. Or, you can just e-mail me @ [email protected]. Put something in the subject line that will make me understand that it is from you, because it will go to my spam box.

To be honest, I just ran across this at a small gun shop in Effingham, IL. I had been looking for a 1911, like what I carried in the Army, and he had a this .45 with the skeleton hammer and trigger. I went online to Amscore, and by what I could match up in the pictures , was a Medallion Series. An e-mail to the company said the weapon was a 2002 production. It came with two stainless magazines with the magazine pads all ready on them. I paid under $400 for it. Still was in the box.

I bought the weapon mostly for range use. Like I said, I'm a wheel guy at heart, and that is what I keep by the night stand.

Thanks for the info.
Regards,
thanks for that story - well next thing is go by a lottery ticket - under 400 - you stole it

Does it look like this?
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
COTEP Member; CBOB0695
Old 11-24-2010, 01:31 AM

Mine don't have the words Medallion on the slide. I posted a picture, but it near the size of yours. You may have to down load the picture and make it bigger. Maybe I got one with just a skeleton hammer and trigger.

Thanks for the reply.
Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Ok now I got it! That is an Armscor Tactical pistol - blue frame and slide - it is the line just under the Medallion - still a GREAT pistol!!! And no longer available. Still under the limited life time warranty for service by Armscor Precision Parhrump NV. It should have a SS chrome lined barrel - ambi safety. the frame is cast - the slide extruded 4140 steel.

How does it shoot!!
To increase the grip demensions I suggest getting pearce finger grove insert grips - have a wraparound for the front strap and you use your grips on top which adds some additional demension to whatever grips you have on it.

Buds Guns online is the best price or check ebay- buds is 10 shipping plus the cost of the grip insert -

the mags are after market mags - the armscor's came with ACT mags - back then I think - my first Armscor was 2005.
Very nice find!!!!
COTEP Member; CBOB0695
Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Ok now I got it! That is an Armscor Tactical pistol - blue frame and slide - it is the line just under the Medallion -
Great! Thanks for the info. I will be able to update my firearms list, and put down that it is a Tactical Model. I'm going to guess that $360 was a good price???????????

I don't know how it shoots, yet. When I got it home, I took it apart, cleaned it up, and it was nasty, put lots of Rem-oil on it, and put it up. It's kinda cold here for a day at the range. As a matter of fact, freezing rain today.

I've got 5 Springfield Armory Mags for it. They are very tight getting in and out of the weapon. I want to clean them, with Rem-lub, and see if they will slide in and out as well as the factory mags do. Maybe some emery cloth to rub down the sides.

Thanks for all the great info. I did order an 18 pound recoil spring for it. I got a good buy on some 45+P that I shoot out of my Ruger 345, and figure a different recoil spring would be a good investment. I'm also going to see if I can find some factory mags for this. I think Midway had Chip McCormik mags on sale for around 18 bucks each. If I can't get the Springfield ones to work, then I wll try these.

Thanks again. I've learned alot.
Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM

$360 is very FAIR for that pistol if it is Like New shape

A little advice - +P ammo - a little bit is OK - a steady diet NOT OK
Check CDNN Investments on line - great prices on ACT and NOVAK mags -
COTEP Member; CBOB0695
Old 11-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
$360 is very FAIR for that pistol if it is Like New shape

A little advice - +P ammo - a little bit is OK - a steady diet NOT OK
Check CDNN Investments on line - great prices on ACT and NOVAK mags -
The main reason I bought it was because it was still in the box. The +P ammo that I bought was not for range use. Sometimes I keep my .45 in the RV. I like to shoot a few rounds to see if it hits high or low.

I will check out CDNN for Mags.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM

Ok I am officially jealous! I have 7 Rocks but if I found an Armscor branded one I would have to have it. Does he have any more????
Dan Wesson PM7, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, RIA Match 1911 .45, RIA Matte Nickel tactical .45, RIA Parkerized Tactical .45, RIA Parkerized Tactical 9mm, RIA CS GI .45, RIA FS GI .45, RIA Hi Cap .45, XDM 9mm, XDM .45, CZ-SP01 Phantom, Kimber Ultra Carry II .45
Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDJ View Post
Ok I am officially jealous! I have 7 Rocks but if I found an Armscor branded one I would have to have it. Does he have any more????
No, sorry. And he had this one for a while. I do have to ask why would you want an Armscor? Isn't RIA and Armscor one in the same? Just wondering?
Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Grumpytrkr, very nice Armscor and a fantastic price.

Here is my Armscor Medallion.

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 PM

I will have to say before buying my Armscor, I didn't know there were that many different types of 1911's out there. I'm still soaking in all the info. Thanks to everybody for their help.
Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
No, sorry. And he had this one for a while. I do have to ask why would you want an Armscor? Isn't RIA and Armscor one in the same? Just wondering?
Collectability mainly. I have a tendency to buy stuff no longer in production and sit on it.
Dan Wesson PM7, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, RIA Match 1911 .45, RIA Matte Nickel tactical .45, RIA Parkerized Tactical .45, RIA Parkerized Tactical 9mm, RIA CS GI .45, RIA FS GI .45, RIA Hi Cap .45, XDM 9mm, XDM .45, CZ-SP01 Phantom, Kimber Ultra Carry II .45
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM

You are welcome sir!!

Auto Mag - I think the Blued Medallion is one of the best looking production pistols I have ever seen - I wish they would bring them back.

I continue to kick myself for passing up a Blued and a Hard chrome medallion single stacks in 40 cal back in the day!
COTEP Member; CBOB0695
Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Collectability mainly. I have a tendency to buy stuff no longer in production and sit on it.
Sorta like why you would want an older Corvette! Just a fine pistol - and as LDJ says - not available - still under warranty and they shoot AWESOME!!!

Just be careful with the +P ammo - that pistol was built to run factory FMJ ammo ONLY!!!!
COTEP Member; CBOB0695
Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
You are welcome sir!!

Auto Mag - I think the Blued Medallion is one of the best looking production pistols I have ever seen - I wish they would bring them back.

I continue to kick myself for passing up a Blued and a Hard chrome medallion single stacks in 40 cal back in the day!
I also passed on one that Ivan offered me, must have had a mental block to have let that one go!!!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 11-25-2010, 01:18 AM

Nice 1911 trkr. Welcome from IL too, Ive passed through Effingham quite a few times.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
I can understand that. I've got two '03 Springfield bolt action rifles that, according to the barrel, were reworked at Eddystone for what I think was to handle the hotter 30-06 rounds. Heck, I bought them why back when, before I was married. Don't know why I bought them, never shot them. They are still in the box that I bought them in.
Good Sam Life Member
Old 11-25-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon626 View Post
Nice 1911 trkr. Welcome from IL too, Ive passed through Effingham quite a few times.
Well, some weekend when you are going to pass through Effingham, wave as you go past the exit for Camp Lakewood. My wife and I spend a lot of time camping there. There are a couple of guns shops in Effingham that I know of, and another one in Altamount (sp)

Do you drive big trucks? That is what I'm suppose to be doing. Been off since February, however, I've had my knees operated on a couple of times all ready, and another surgery is on the clock. I guess 30 years of climbing in and out of trucks will do that. Anyway...we can play Effingham Trivia. Remember the Bobber? Dixie Truckers Home? See, I'm old......
Good Sam Life Member