1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 PM

p238 with pictures

hello everyone first post here.
Start it off with a couple pics

So I have had the gun for a while and put 125 rounds of blazer brass and Aluminum with zero problems.
Then I ordered a little pile of MFS from Cabelas.

So far i have made it through 300 rounds and have had 10 fail to ejects. There has been some damage to the cases and one case that ejected just fine came out chopped as well.
I'm hoping the FTE issues are because of the cheaper ammo. I have seen some talk of different generations of magazines. Is there anyway to tell which gen mine are?

Here are some pics of the Barrel and frame to show the wear so far.

Frame

Barrel

Seems like a lot of wear but I saw some pics of another p238 and it seems that is just how these go?

And here are some more interesting pictures I took.

As far as shooting the gun it is a lot of fun.
The small size is a little weird even though my hands aren't really that big.
I am not a fan of the trigger. It actually gives me a blister.
It seems fairly accurate and is easy enough to shoot and operate.

The plan is to fire off the remaining MFS ammo and then some better stuff and see if it solves the FTE issues.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 PM

There are lot's of threads on this forum and others talking about some of the FTE issues. Mine has been pretty good overall, but I experienced some issues early on. My main problem was the earlier mag which had a follower that was much to high and the last round out would sometimes jam. I got the mag replaced and that more or less solved my issues. I still occassionally get some of the brass being crimped like your photo, but it doesn't seem to be the brand of ammo. I have shot plenty of brands and none have been bad. The only exception was the Buffalo Bore +P stuff, it was just too much for the little Sig. I would say I have over 600 rounds through mine and not counting the +P I have probably had 10-12, maybe 15 jams. Definitely a lot of crimped brass.

The other issue that might be you problem is that they are replacing the guide rod springs with a 12# spring vs the 11# that was first shipped in the pistol. I replaced mine and that seemed to help slightly, but I couldn't contribute it to better performance. You may have to adjust the extractor too, I haven't did that but may before I take it out next time.

That wear you show in your photos seems pretty normal to me and it looks like mine. I also polished my feed ramp on the barrel. Keep her clean and lubed and it should shoot well for some time to come.

There is no doubt that the little Sig is finicky, but with a little work, she should be a good shooter.

Out!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:50 PM

No generation changes on the mags per SIG, just different suppliers. Seems like some guns like the different followers better than others just like some 1911 prefer flat vs arched followers.
Most the problems I've seen are due to poor quality ammo and/or lack of proper lubrication. Use good lube,(FP-10, CLP or Slick 2000) the stuff SIG sends with the guns is great lube also. Not a bunch just nice.
How you tell is after you lube the gun and cycle it a bunch of times put your thumb on the barrels or where you wnat to check the lube and if you finger print is visiable and doesn't flow out right away the area is properly lubed. No finger print not enough, lube flowing or fingerprint flows out as soon as you remove your finger too much.
Hope this helps.

JCC7X7

1911 Smith, SIG armourer
Since God is for you, who can ,succesfully , be against you! Romans 8:31
COTEP 0566
Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I actually just ordered the 12lb spring to see if that makes a difference. It's good to hear others are seining similar wear. Axe what did you do to polish yours?

Jcc thanks for the lube advice. I will have to make sure I am not running it too dry. The mags I have are the ones with the dimpled follower. I'm not exactly sure of the dimples purpose but it does seem to leave some serious marks on my snap caps.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:31 AM

That barrel wear looks identical to the wear on my P226 that has been running flawlessly since 1991.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:24 AM

Always use a firm grip when shooting little pistols.

Joe
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Your wear looks exactly like mine...had me worried at first until I heard about others with the same wear pattern. It feeds better every time I shoot it, but I too went to the heavier recoil spring which seemed to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick238 View Post
hello everyone first post here.
Start it off with a couple pics

So I have had the gun for a while and put 125 rounds of blazer brass and Aluminum with zero problems.
Then I ordered a little pile of MFS from Cabelas.

So far i have made it through 300 rounds and have had 10 fail to ejects. There has been some damage to the cases and one case that ejected just fine came out chopped as well.
I'm hoping the FTE issues are because of the cheaper ammo. I have seen some talk of different generations of magazines. Is there anyway to tell which gen mine are?

Here are some pics of the Barrel and frame to show the wear so far.

Frame

Barrel

Seems like a lot of wear but I saw some pics of another p238 and it seems that is just how these go?

And here are some more interesting pictures I took.

As far as shooting the gun it is a lot of fun.
The small size is a little weird even though my hands aren't really that big.
I am not a fan of the trigger. It actually gives me a blister.
It seems fairly accurate and is easy enough to shoot and operate.

The plan is to fire off the remaining MFS ammo and then some better stuff and see if it solves the FTE issues.

Last edited by rjm1911; 11-27-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:24 PM

I polished mine with a couple different grits of metal polish. I can't recall what grit it was, but I got it at Home Depot and it is made by Ryobi. I used a firm felt tip bit (bullet shape head) with a Dremel tool.

I can guarantee that the little Sigs shipped in 2009 had followers that were too high. You can find a lot of information on this at Sigforum and others. I just did a quick search and now there is talk of a third generation of follower, which sounds like what you described. I don't have any dimples on mine and the follower is now much flatter. You can see pictures of the first two mags and follower here too.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...8480004812/p/1

Top Gun Supply says the latest follower should look like this. Click on the mag photo for a detailed image.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-saue...-magazine.html

Sig really turned this mag thing into a **** show. I guess I may have to call them and see if I can get some of the third generation mags and see if they are any better.

Out!

Last edited by A X E; 11-27-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the responses about the wear guys. The more people who have guns showing the same wear hopefully means it is normal haha.

Axe it appears that my gun shipped with the 3rd gen mag and the two more I ordered were from top gun supply and where the same as well.

I'm not sure if polishing will have any effect on my ejecting issue and I have yet to have a feed issue but it prolly cant hurt to polish, plus it prolly looks pretty good having a little shiny on the all black gun.

I thnk my new spring will be in on. Monday or tuesday. I want to grab a box or two of some higher quality ammo but I don't feel like droping 20 bucks on a box haha. Lame 380 never goes on sale.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Here is another detail photo of what I believe to be the second generation (A) and third generation (B) followers.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7...llowers001.jpg

Out!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 PM

Yeah mine are definitely all like the one labeled b in that picture
Old 11-27-2010, 10:59 PM

My pal Joe bought one in stainless.
We were shooting bullseye targets with it at 25 yards. It really is an amazing little pistol.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 11-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Indeed when the gun is shooting like it is supposed to it is a ton of fun.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Update

Was at the parents for Thanksgiving and dad and I decided to head out to the land and do some shooting since it was like 40 something out.

I picked up a box of Remington and a box of Winchester.

I shot about 20 of the Rem first and it fired perfect.
Then I decided to switch over to the Win.
On the first mag i had a fail to eject.
Then over the course of the box 2 more fail to ejects so 3 FTE from a box of 50.
I shot a few more Rem with no issues.
We had to get back so I didn't make it through all 50 Rem.

So is there an issue here with how strong a load i'm using. I feel like Win is normally a lighter load than most. (could be wrong about that)

Also is switching to the 12lb spring going to make the gun more sensitive to light loads?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 PM

A X E is spot on about the three different type of mag followers. My Equinox came with mag version A. I bought an extra mag from the dealer and it had the very tall follower and the last round could not extract because the feed ramp was blocking it from ejecting. My dealer swapped it and I have never had any more problems. I can't believe that Sig would claim that different mag vendors were the problem. Don't you think they spec what they want? I think the tall mag follower was the Colt Mustang design.

I bought one box of cheap ammo that would not extract. The cartridges would swell so much that I had to pry them out of the chamber. It was not a gun problem, it was an ammo problem.

Last edited by SEMO Shooter; 11-29-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Yeah seems crazy that they couldn't get the mags right off the bat and then to mess up again is a little ridiculous.

My FTE don't seem to be from the brass swelling. The casings are getting very close to the top.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 PM

Interesting observation about your Winchester rounds. The very first rounds through my pistol were two boxes of WWB 95g fmj (truncated cone bullets). I can't recall, but I think I had one or two FTEs, but nothing out of the ordinary for a new pistol. Then I shot several hundred rounds (400+) of various other brands and had a few more. Then I bought a case of five WWB at Wal Mart and it was the last 50 rounds through my pistol a couple months back and I had a couple more FTEs, which I hadn't had much lately. I can't say for sure it is the WWB ammo, I guess I got four more boxes to find out.

The only ammo I can say for sure that did not work was the BB +P. It really ripped out of the pistol, but in 40 rounds I got at least 8-10 FTEs. The short action can't handle the hopped up ammo, but my Ol man's Bersa ate it up no problem.

Out!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A X E View Post
Interesting observation about your Winchester rounds.
Yeah i mean of the four brands i have shot now 2 have had FTE's.
I'm feeling like it is an ammo issue. The rounds just aren't strong enough.

But you were having issues with the Buffalo Bore +p rounds so maybe that means you have to hit a specific sweet spot in order for the gun to opporate properly?

I think I'm going to have to try and get more WWB some more Blazer Brass and some More Rem and see how it goes.

Also once the 12lb spring shows up that will have to be tested as well haha.
why couldn't this have just been a simple gun to own?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:14 PM

I got the 12 lb spring now. When I shot the BB +p it was the original 11 lb spring. I didn't really notice much of a difference with the new spring......maybe it felt a little stiffer to rack.

The PMC, Magtech, and CCI Blazer aluminum worked pretty well in my pistol. I think I have also shot Remington, Winchester, BB, Independence, and Speer Gold Dot (which works flawlessly, but less than 50 rounds). I got another thread on here somewhere that discusses my first several times out with the various ammo.

Out!

Last edited by A X E; 11-30-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 PM

I'll have to see if i can find it and read through it.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 PM

This thread seems to be quite informative.. I have a brand new p238 on layaway right now.. only $150 left soon to be in my hands.. i've read about the feeding issues.. and am curious which mag i'll get and if i'll have any problems.. soon as I get the gun I'll post some pics and a range report.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 PM

Personal experience and that of others has been Remington Golden saber is 100% in these guns. I had a few fte's with pmc ball ammo then realized my hand was rubbing the slide due to the guns small size. Watch your grip on these and they run awesome. I love this gun. I have shot tons of golden saber in various guns and find it the most reliable feeding and extracting ammo made.