1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 AM

Llama 1911 .45

Is there a collectors market for Llama 1911 .45's. I have one I bought about 25 years ago. It was my first 1911 (pattern) pistol. It looks very nice, it is factory hard chromed with a raised flat top rib, and Pachmayr grips. I only shot it occasionally when I first got it. I probably have less than 500 rounds thru it, but if you give it a shake the slide rattles like rocks in a tin can.

Regards,

Rick
Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 PM

I'm surprised that you've not received any snotty replies to your question...everyone must be feeling especially kind and considerate during the holidays. Normally, when anyone mentions a Llama handgun, they are skewered and vilified in short order.

Having said that, I'd surmise that the answer to your question is...no. Your Llama is probably more valuable to you than anyone else, especially if it's running well. I also have a Llama...a Max-I C/F duotone, and I actually like the thing. It's not the most beautiful, well made 1911 pattern gun that I own, but the thing is accurate and dependable.

Sometimes, I think that I have the only Llama ever made in this universe that actually worked, judging from the comments that most folks will make about them. Still, it's generally understood that Llamas were a lesser choice, purchased mainly by folks who couldn't afford a Colt. Their reputation as a quality, working gun is nonexistent, and I've never heard of any type of collector's market for them. There is collector interest for a number of older Star handguns, but the Llamas just never seemed to get there.

You can be reasonably assured that you probably won't get what you paid for it, so I'd just keep it and save for another gun, if that's where you're headed. Best of luck...
Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM

Llama's from 25 years ago are definitely not collectible or highly sought after. I think that was pretty close to their lowest point as far as quality is concerned. I've heard of some of the 60's era pistols being pretty nice, but have never seen one in person. If your pistol shoots well and you're happy with it, then shoot the rip out of it. It won't be worth any less than it is right now.

I have a Max-I in full hard chrome that's a good shooter. I have a couple of friends with this same model and their guns shoot well and are 100% reliable. The Llama models with the most problems are the ones that utilize double stack, high cap mags, and I believe that is due to the poor quality of the mag and not the pistol.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 PM

I prob have the exact same model as you do but in blue, purchased around the same time, but in my case, I couldn't get that sucker to fire more than 2 rounds without jamming. I sent it off to 2 or 3 diff gunsmiths with no help. I finally, this year, had the beast disabled and turned into a deskclock. When I get that hunk o metal back, I'll post a picture.

I just hope it tells time better than it shot
Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 AM

llama 1911

new here so be kind. i just left a similar post on an old thread this is newer so it may help out a bit more. i received my llama 12 years and close to 10000 rds ago brand new for under 300. don't remember the exact price. notice the safety plunger was broke were the spring hooked on. 95 cents from ctd. for a gun used that much not bad i think. i believe we are all quick to judge some thing. if it was a top brand and had the same problem we would say my thats a fine piece of craftsmanship. Remington 700s fire by themselves does this mean all Remington are junk. ive witnessed a brand new beneli not work at all and it was a top of the line model. saw a ruger 9mm jam every other round. had colts fail on me. watched a m2 50cal explode. seen barrels shot off. does this mean all of these are crap. personally i don't think so. i look at it like this, guns are mass produced so failures are going to happen. again just my 2 cents. and if any one has a reliability issue your invited to shoot some beer cans with me any time
Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
cavjoe llama 1911

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remington 700s fire by themselves does this mean all Remington are junk. ive witnessed a brand new beneli not work at all and it was a top of the line model. saw a ruger 9mm jam every other round. had colts fail on me. watched a m2 50cal explode. seen barrels shot off. does this mean all of these are crap. personally i don't think so. i look at it like this, guns are mass produced so failures are going to happen.
Joe, your point is well taken. There are a lot of Llama's that shoot great. As you have noted, every manufacturer with a history of high quality has let some lemons out the door. Their reputation is built on how many lemons make it out the door, and how well they resolve issues when a customer has a problem. You might get a Llama that is perfectly in spec and has quality steel, and you might not. The odds of getting a Llama that isn't perfect is a lot higher than getting a Colt, Kimber, Springfield, or Dan Wesson that has problems, and how does one get warranty work done on a Llama today? That's why most gunsmiths with a good reputation won't use a Llama as a basis for a custom piece. The lower quality ultimately affects resale, desirability, and (to address the OP's question) collectibility.

I have other 1911s which include Kimbers, Springfield, STI, Dan Wesson, etc, and the Llama is not in the same league in terms of fit and finish. This doesn't detract from my enjoyment of shooting it. There's not much to hate about a gun that is reliable and accurate.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM

very true. but when a right minded individual purchases a 1911 for 250 or less what kind of factory support can they really expect. dont get me wrong i am in no hurry to go out and buy another one or any 1911 for that matter simply because an 8 pound carry weapon isnt very practical. llamas have a piece of 1911 history, we cannot deny that whether it be good or bad. i believe its still a decent inexpensive beginner piece.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:17 PM

I been collecting the spanish pistols from the astra 400's/600/43's, the the star super, BM, and B to now the llama extra in 9mm largo/38acp. My recent find of the llama extra in 9mm largo is awesome its a 1911 clone and big and heavy i like it. I also seen a llama in 45acp locally but i need to take a closer look at it. My point is yes there are spanish pistol collectors too. My problem is i like them all. Broke but happy, Czy

Price wise a llama in 45acp would be worth by the condition its in. I would guess between $250 to $300 in the area.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, besafe do it right......
Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Price wise a llama in 45acp would be worth by the condition its in. I would guess between $250 to $300 in the area.
Saw a guy snag one day after Thanksgiving - sticker read $289. Don't know if he paid that but he seemed happy as a clam. Hard to put a price on that.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 AM

I bought my Max-I C/F in 1997, just to have a .45 to shoot, drop in the mud, get scratched up, and take the heat off of my Kimber and Springfield. I figured if it didn't work well, I could play with it. If I ruined it, no big deal.

Well, I must've lucked out. I did have a problem with the trigger, in that it had a burr that would catch on the frame, and I couldn't pull the thing hard enough to make it fire. After I detail stripped the gun and remedied that situation, I had no further problems of any sort. It's still got a crappy trigger, but the fool thing is reliable, accurate and I can ring a 10" gong at 50 yards with little effort. I got to the point where I didn't want to drop it in the mud or scratch it up.

It sits in my safe, welcome as all the others, and it has its own portrait. Here's a toast to all working Llamas!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:40 PM

BTW; My LLama extra is a 1911 clone and i was told all the inner parts in the frame the standard 1911 parts will inter change with the llama 1911 clone.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 PM

I've purchased a Llama .45 govt for $270, and I must say I think it's beautiful. It has wood grips, and the bottom frame metal has a red tint I haven't seen on any other firearm. Now yes, it has jammed on me, and I'm procuring some Llama ejectors to fix that problem. I'd like to invest a barrel into it, though I question whether or not I can really count on it lasting long enough to be worth that investment.

All said though, I must say: I think it's a beautiful gun, cheap and unique.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1074146271
Attached Thumbnails
73806_1580704632231_1074146271_1601783_5393052_n.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Since i have had two bad new colt 1911's and one new springer that still doesn't go thru a mag of ammo without jamming after 20+ years of owning it i'm going looking for an upgrade to a llama 45acp next. My luck can't get any worse i had 3 boat anchors already. It could just be my bad luck. One bad one out of millions and i get it, often...

Last edited by 1911crazy; 12-09-2010 at 07:24 PM.