1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Laser Sights

I have a question regarding which would be the best recomended laser sight for an RIA 1911 government model. a internal guide rod laser from Laser Max,Crimson Trace laser grip,or have a rail mounted on the frame by a gun smith and use a rail mount laser ? All replies appreciated
Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 AM

I can only vouch for CT grips.I've got the carbon fiber one's.If you have ambi safety you either have to switch to single,get the Wilson safety from CT,or bob the right side on yours.I bobbed the one on mine.I cut it at an angle so that when it's off it blends with top of laser pod.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:15 AM

If it were me i'd go w/ the CT grips, if you have the GI model (which you said you do i think) than you wouldn't have to modify anything. The rail mounted lasers cost about the same as CT grips (for a good one), plus the cost of having a smith add material for rails seems like a long, expensive route. Don't really know anyone who has the guide rod system, but have never really heard good things about them. Im shopping for some CT grips myself. let me know if you come across a good deal
Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMallardk5 View Post
If it were me i'd go w/ the CT grips, if you have the GI model (which you said you do i think) than you wouldn't have to modify anything. The rail mounted lasers cost about the same as CT grips (for a good one), plus the cost of having a smith add material for rails seems like a long, expensive route. Don't really know anyone who has the guide rod system, but have never really heard good things about them. Im shopping for some CT grips myself. let me know if you come across a good deal
I think calssportingarmory.com has the best prices on CT grips. $226.00 compact and $246.00 full size.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I think calssportingarmory.com has the best prices on CT grips. $226.00 compact and $246.00 full size
sweet thanks, i'll check it out
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMallardk5 View Post
sweet thanks, i'll check it out
Their website kinda sucks, but when you're on it search for "Crimson Trace 1911" and it will come up.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 PM

I agree with the Crimson Trace. They have a good product and their customer support is very good. Keep in mind that they have both side activated and front activated models. I prefer the front activated my self.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusling View Post
I agree with the Crimson Trace. They have a good product and their customer support is very good. Keep in mind that they have both side activated and front activated models. I prefer the front activated my self.
Another vote for CT
Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Wife and I each have a set of CT lasers on our 1911s.

I recently looked at a LaserMax guide-rod laser for her XD (stocking stuffer). It is a "pulsing" laser designed to maximize battery life. At an indoor range I could (sometimes) see the dim red dot at 15-20 feet. Swapped out batteries, no change. Ridiculous.

The CT is far more powerful--the laser dot shows up just fine at 75 feet. At my usual shooting distance of 25 feet, it is a tiny red searchlight. Practically powerful enough to burn a hole through the paper at 25 feet.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 PM

I have CT on all my handguns, incredibly bright light abd the batteries apparently last forever

When asked by the cute televison reporter why he had shot a bank robber 6 times with his .45, the Texas Ranger replied, "because they don't make a .50"
Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 PM

I am sure I am not the first, but I have both on my Caspian/ Frankenstein 1911. The Crimson trace are the most user friendly to use and the batteries are easy to change and available, however the Laser Max is more accurate (being at the 6' oclock position, but the batteries are proprietary and difficult to find and a not easy to change. I also carry Crimson Trace grips for my M9 and have had these grips for over 8 years and several deployments to the sandbox.

If I was to have only one grip/sight, I would go with Crimson Trace (just my humble opinion).

SFJager
Old 11-20-2010, 05:46 PM

lefty

Will the ct work or activate when used by a lefty? Besides the whole safty issue
Old 11-20-2010, 05:54 PM

yes i shoot both left and right hand
Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipofblanks View Post
Will the ct work or activate when used by a lefty? Besides the whole safty issue
It will work either way.