1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM

American Made 1911's

I'm looking for another 1911. I'm stubborn. Make that very stubborn. I only buy and own (all) American made 1911's. As I dig a little, I find there are very few, make that none that I can find, mass produced 1911's made in America. SA frames and slides are made in Brazil. Some STI's are made in the Philippines. Para USA still made in Canada. Smith and Wesson bought out by the Germans. Colt is going foreign/offshore. U.S. Marines are carrying Benelli shotguns. Kimber is hooking up with HK? Winchesters made in Japan. Besides Ruger and Remington are any decent .45 pistols made in the USA???

I know Wilson and Brown are still all American?? A whole bunch of 1911's are being made in the Philippines and being call American something. Looking for some guidance and pro/con to some of the stuff I'm hearing about where the latest crop of 1911's are made.

Really would like to hear from a manufacturer's rep or two as to where their pistols are being made. Last thing I want is to be drinking foreign owned Bud and shooting a Brazilian/Filipino 1911.

Semper fi
Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin6 View Post
I'm looking for another 1911. I'm stubborn. Make that very stubborn. I only buy and own (all) American made 1911's. As I dig a little, I find there are very few, make that none that I can find, mass produced 1911's made in America...Colt is going foreign/offshore...
Colt is going offshore for their 1911's?

Last edited by Toad1911; 11-15-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Les Baer is all american and a touch less expensive than the other semi customs.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad1911 View Post
Colt is going offshore for their 1911's?
That's news to me as well. But I heard it off the Internet so it must be true.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
That's news to me as well. But I heard it off the Internet so it must be true.
I am having a difficult time believing that Colt is going offshore...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Smith and Wesson bought out by Germans?
Colt going foreign.

News to me, except for their European connection to make .22s in bb gun factories. I am pretty sure their 1911 pattern guns are made in USA.
If you want a say, you can buy S&W stock.

Only the STI Spartan is a Filipino, the Trojan and higher grades are made in the Republic of Texas.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Last thing I want is to be drinking foreign owned Bud and shooting a Brazilian/Filipino 1911.

Semper fi
Or driving a Canadian or Mexican made Ford,Chevy,or Dodge.And posting on 1911forum.com with a PC chock full of Made in Japan stickers.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting what we have to be made in the USA.But since Joe wants $22/hr. to do what Jose will do for $5/hr that's the hand we're dealt.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 PM

STI International
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Last thing I want is to be drinking foreign owned Bud and shooting a Brazilian/Filipino 1911.
Problems solved.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Ed Brown, OK...foreign coins, beer, sunglasses...
Did I miss the story about Kimber hooking up with HK? Anybody verify this?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for another 1911. I'm stubborn. Make that very stubborn. I only buy and own (all) American made 1911's. As I dig a little, I find there are very few, make that none that I can find, mass produced 1911's made in America. SA frames and slides are made in Brazil. Some STI's are made in the Philippines. Para USA still made in Canada. Smith and Wesson bought out by the Germans. Colt is going foreign/offshore. U.S. Marines are carrying Benelli shotguns. Kimber is hooking up with HK? Winchesters made in Japan. Besides Ruger and Remington are any decent .45 pistols made in the USA???

I know Wilson and Brown are still all American?? A whole bunch of 1911's are being made in the Philippines and being call American something. Looking for some guidance and pro/con to some of the stuff I'm hearing about where the latest crop of 1911's are made.

Really would like to hear from a manufacturer's rep or two as to where their pistols are being made. Last thing I want is to be drinking foreign owned Bud and shooting a Brazilian/Filipino 1911.

Semper fi
There is a lot of F.U.D. in this post.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Les Baer is all american and a touch less expensive than the other semi customs.
Not true. The source for their slides/frames is Korean.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM

I would put it differently. Can you believe so many 1911s are still made in the USA?

Colt -- USA and I can't see Colt going off-shore since they invested a ton of money in CNC machinery and just started it running well a year or so ago.

SW -- USA with some wild speculation on the OP's part they are going European. Sources?

Kimber -- USA

Fusion -- USA

Brown -- USA

Wilson -- USA

Nighthawk -- USA

Baer -- USA

Remington -- USA

Sig -- USA manufactured

STI -- USA on all but one gun, the Spartan which is assembled in the Philippines

Springfield -- assembled in USA with frame roughed out in Brazil

There are also several, smaller makers that make 1911s here in the U.S. from U.S. components (AFAIK): DoubleStar, Olympic Arms (a/k/a Safari), and more.

Sure there are some Filipino branded pistols out there but, for the most part, 1911s are made right here in the U.S.

I'm a "glass half full" type of guy.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
The source for their slides/frames is Korean.
Do you have a source for this? My Baers don't say anything about Korea on the slide/frame.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST5MF View Post
A lot of manufacturers are using Dasan parts and calling their products "American"
http://www.tradekorea.com/product-de...tol_Parts.html

I don't know if Baer uses them, but some manufacturers do.

Korean frames, MIM parts made in India, what is the world coming to?

Last edited by custom2; 11-15-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
A lot of manufacturers are using Dasan parts and calling their products "American"
http://www.tradekorea.com/product-de...tol_Parts.html
Which manufacturers? What is the source for this? If a company says it is an American gun, the burden is on those claiming otherwise to show they are not being truthful.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Or wearing Italian-owned Oakley's too...
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM

intrepid - Les Baer is all american and a touch less expensive than the other semi customs.

Quote:
Really ? Can anyone verify this ? I'm gonna have to look into it.

Kimber SIS Pro - Les Baer TRS - Spikes Tactical AR
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting what we have to be made in the USA.But since Joe wants $22/hr. to do what Jose will do for $5/hr that's the hand we're dealt.
But "Joe" is your neighbor, maybe your friend. He wants to send his kids to college so they can actually have a better life than a $22 an hour job can provide.

We are all forced to purchase goods produced from foreign lands, but there are still a few items we can choose to buy that are still made in the United States, 1911's being one of them
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

I can't say exactly what manufacturers use them, but let's face it, how many of the U.S. manufacturers do you think actually make their frames in house out of forgings? Sure, some do, but not all.

Those that don't make 'em outsource. Who they get them from just might not be an American company.

It doesn't bother me because they are still American companies, paying Americans to work for them.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
I can't say exactly what manufacturers use them, but let's face it, how many of the U.S. manufacturers do you think actually make their frames in house out of forgings? Sure, some do, but not all.

Those that don't make 'em outsource. Who they get them from just might not be an American company.

It doesn't bother me because they are still American companies, paying Americans to work for them.
Why can't you say?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Certainly that is a false statement.

1911 AUTO FRAME

* Mfr:LES BAER CUSTOM

Precision Forged & Machined In The USA; Ready To Assemble With Custom Features
Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad1911 View Post
Why can't you say?
Because I don't know for sure where every manufacturer gets their frames from. Just like saying who knows where MIM parts come from?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM

There is a substantial MIM industry in India.

Just to muddy the waters even more.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
...It doesn't bother me because they are still American companies, paying Americans to work for them.
Exactly my friend. Very good point. Alot of these foriegn companies are putting food on the plates of several American families.

Buying a production 1911 is like buying a Harley. Sure, it says made in America....

Last edited by WarriorSteel1; 11-15-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Closed Thread