1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 11-01-2010, 08:00 PM

GSG 1911 VS Colt Conversion UNit

I am interested in the GSG 1911 .22lr. I have a Colt service model ace (i think) or a Colt lower with a conversion unit on it. Anyway - whatever it is iI am not really impressed with the accuracy, and the floating chamber can cause issues as well.

So how do any of you experienced 1911 owners feel the GSG will compare in accuracy and funtion ?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 PM

My GSG1911-22 is new with only 120 rds thru it, but 50 rds of it was cheap fed. standard velocity ammo & 50 rds was 30 year old mixture of different brands. Of the old stuff, 13 rds were longs, not long rifle & it fed them except for two rounds which didn't strip off the mag & had to sling-shot them in. Had one 'stove pipe' ejection out of the old ammo.

As to accuracy, can't be real sure about it because it was extremely windy that day & the targets at my range hang from a wire stretched acoss the pistol range. Even with two weights hanging on it, it was dancing around pretty good. For the most part, it seemed to be good on elevation & just a little left of center.

Expecting rain next couple of days, but bought a box of Federal bulk ammo & will give it a good workout as soon as I can.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 PM

I am very impressed with the GSG1911. I was shooting groups of about 1 to 1.5 inches at 21 feet.

I have to tell you that I did have to send my GSG1911 in for repair. The dust over is rubbing the lower part of the slide, which I think is what was responsible for the 4 FTF's that I had. I am sure that ATI will take care of the issue and she'll be back in a week or so.

Even with the issue described, I think the GSG is a great gun. The cheapest I have found them was at Bud's online store which ships for a total of $302 anywhere in the US.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 AM

Aside from the grip safety being somewhat sensitive to pressure (and that's something that I got used to quickly) the pistol fuctions like any other 1911 platform. Mine's accurate.

Some of the other members of this and other forums have experienced some other problems and component failures, but ATI is reputable and has excellent customer service -- I can only think of two posts that I have read, on-line, where guys were selling them because they couldn't get their particular pistol to function well or repaired and working to their satisfaction.

I anxiously awaited this pistol's release and purchased one as soon as they were available at my local gun store. I handled six or seven of them before I chose the one that I liked (each one's action felt a little different; I selected the one that felt the "smoothest" to me) and the pistol has exceeded my expectations.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 AM

I have about 1100 rounds through mine. it was well worth the $300 i spent on it. most with cheap wally world remington.

only issues i have with it are jamming and the barrel bushing failed. ATI knows about these things and have update the barrel bushing, mag follower, and slide stop. the mag followers are suppose to cure the jamming issues i have.

The slide stop is back ordered but will hopefully get the others in this week.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 AM

If you want accurate, get a Marvel conversion.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjive134 View Post
I am very impressed with the GSG1911. I was shooting groups of about 1 to 1.5 inches at 21 feet.

I have to tell you that I did have to send my GSG1911 in for repair. The dust over is rubbing the lower part of the slide, which I think is what was responsible for the 4 FTF's that I had. I am sure that ATI will take care of the issue and she'll be back in a week or so.

Even with the issue described, I think the GSG is a great gun. The cheapest I have found them was at Bud's online store which ships for a total of $302 anywhere in the US.
When I cleaned & lubed mine for it's first range trip, I used my normal lube - Finish Line Dry Lube - & when I racked the slide to spread it on the rails, I noticed a rasping sound as if some metal to metal contact. So I tore it down, wiped most of the Finish Line off & lathered it up good with a mixture of ATF & STP. And I mean I really put it on thick, everywhere except the inside of the barrel & the magazine. No rasping sound! I shot it that way & when I cleaned it, no bright spots or any indication of metal touching metal! Cleaned it & relubed it with Finish Line again & still hear a bit of that rasping sound, but I'm going to shoot it that way & see what happens. That concoction of ATF & STP is really great as far as being extremely slick & it pretty well stays put where ever you put it, but it is as messy as the devil & I don't like it for that reason. Also bad about collecting dirt, etc. & the Finish Line doesn't.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
If you want accurate, get a Marvel conversion.
I want accurate and reliable.

Reliable enough to not have jams during a steel match.
Accurate enough to do 1" at 20 yds.

Will the GSG, Marvel, Kimber conversion, etc do that?

I've also thought about the Kimber .22. But the Super Match is dangerously close to the price of a S&W M41, which is THE premier sub $1000 .22.

But then Im thinking, jeez, a $1000 for a .22 pistol?
NRA Life Member
Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 PM

the first day i had my gsg 1911 i shot a 45/48 then came back with a 46/48! No it not for sale having to much fun!! Clint
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 AM

Picked up the ambi safety version the other day (I am a lefty) and was only able to put about 50 rounds of mixed manufactures but all fed with no ftf's. Only shot with a 2 hand hold at a plastic coke bottle at about 25 feet. First rounds were doing high so I aimed lower and most hit the bottle. This was NOT slow aimed fire. I am impressed with the pistol and the price. Now if I can figure how to attach my YHM suppressor...
Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 PM

The floating chamber Colts were actually designed to mimic 45acp recoil with a 22lr. This is for less expensive practice while still giving a recoil pulse very similar to the centerfire pistol. They have never had a good reputation for accuracy. They still don't and probably never will as that's not their reason for being. That's not to say there aren't exceptions out there, there are.

I haven't shot my newly acquired GSG1911 enough yet to have a feeling for it's accuracy. Seems to have good "plinking" accuracy bouncing aluminum cans but I haven't put it on paper yet so don't know how it's going to do. I'd love have an Ace but getting one would involve at least twice what I have in the GSG and that's just for the conversion.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 PM

GSG 1911 vs Colt .22 Conversion Unit

I have a Colt .22 conversion unit that I use off a Springfield GI frame. It has the floating chamber. It is very accurate & reliable as long as it's kept clean otherwise the floating chamber can get gummed up with the waxy gunk that comes off of some .22 ammo when fired. When it starts to get gummed up it started to jam up but will work flawlessly once thoroughly cleaned again:

I also recently acquired a GSG 1911 .22lr. I have only added Hogue soft grip panels and a steel Colt barrel bushing to it. It has ~ 1,000 rounds through it now and has pretty much worked flawlessly. With the highest front site installed and the rear site adjusted correctly it is very accurate. When shooting it, I can routinely hit golf balls with it out at the 25 yard range. Most of the ammo I have been using in it has been American Eagle hi velocity 40 grain round nose and Remington Thunderbolt hi speed 40 gr round nose lead.

I recently did a test with my SA lower/Colt .22 unit to see if the GSG .22 lr magazines would work/function with it. I used the American Eagle and Rem Tbolt ammo. It worked flawlessly. There were no feeding or other issues.

Here are GSG 1911 [left] and Colt .22lr conversion [right] mags:

Top view:

Profile view:

Note the Colt .22lr mag follower is dished & sits forward at the front top of mag body compared to the GSG 1911 .22lr mag follower, which is flat on top.

How a GSG .22lr mag sits in a GSG 1911 pistol:

I tried the GSG 1911 .22lr magazine in my 1911A1 frame that I use with my Colt .22lr conversion unit. The frame is a Springfield Armoury parkerized GI 1911A1 frame that I completed with my own parts. The slide stop is a Colt #2 which is correct for use with the Colt .22lr conversion unit. I noted that with the GSG .22lr mag inserted empty, when the slide is drawn back, the slide locks back on the Colt slide stop [as it is supposed to]. The magazine fits well & drops free when the mag button is depressed [as it does with a Colt mag].

With GSG 1911 .22lr mag in SA 1911A1 frame [with Colt .22lr conversion unit top-end]:

With Colt .22lr conversion unit mag in SA 1911A1 frame [with Colt .22lr conversion unit top-end]:

Even though there appears to be a bit of bullet jump for a .22lr round to chamber from a GSG 1911 magazine into the Colt .22 conversion unit chamber my actual field trials found that the GSG magazines fed .22lr ammo into the Colt .22 conversion unit effortlessly.

NAA.