1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 PM

To soak a gun

Is there any advantage to just cleaning a gun or to soak it before cleaning? If you soak it what do you use? TNX BTW, I usually soak mine in money
Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1911cwp View Post
Is there any advantage to just cleaning a gun or to soak it before cleaning? If you soak it what do you use? TNX BTW, I usually soak mine in money
Really hot water, almost boiling, and a little Dawn's dishwashing detergent will work wonders. I only do this if I am going to do a complete strip.

Really gets everything out. Flush with more hot water, it will dry almost instantly. Then clean with your normal procedures, and re-lubricate.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Soaking in diesel fuel without the grips is a good way to get out the gunk with no danger of rusting since diesel fuel is oil.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM

When it comes to pistols, I hold the barrel under hot tap water with a pair of tongs and use a plastic bore brush with dish detergent. That scalding hot water makes cleaning much faster and more thorough. The frame and slide get scrubbed with a toothbrush and ATF4. Then, just lube with Mobil1 20w-50 V-Twin formula, good stuff! ATF offers excellent rust/corrosion protection and nothing will clean better while offering the benefit of NOT having to use harsh degreasers(which totally strips metal and attempts to make it rust on the spot).
Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 PM

About every five-hundred rounds the grips come off and my 1911s get to swim in a bucket of Ed's Red for awhile. really loosens the carbon up.
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM

I use moly as my lube so i don't wash any parts but the barrel bore. The rest i just wipe clean and relube with moly. Moly doesn't attract dirt so it wipes clean everytime really easy. Plus the 1911 will cycle much faster and smoother with moly too.

Too clean removes the oils from the pores of the metal causing it to rust really easily too. So i don't like to clean my guns squeeky clean. It may cause more problems than not cleaning it. I use a solvent on the bores and oil them.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, besafe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 11-02-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM

When you guys soak your 1911's does whatever you soak it in stay on the gun or does it all come off easily? And how long does that gun keep smelling like diesel after you soak it?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GRP View Post
When you guys soak your 1911's does whatever you soak it in stay on the gun or does it all come off easily? And how long does that gun keep smelling like diesel after you soak it?
Dawn's dishwashing liquid is available in several scents, but none of them resemble diesel fuel.

The water evaporates rapidly, so it does come off easily. I am currently experimenting with a home brew lube made up of canola oil and Dexron ATF. It has a very moderate bad smell to it, no where near as bad as the straight ATF.

I have considered adding a scented oil, just to attempt to disguise the aroma. Might be a good project for this winter.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 PM

+1 on diesel.

I once got a new SKS that was packed with Cosmoline. Cleaning it off was a total PITA. A local smith said, soak it in diesel overnight. Boy was he right, that thing came out completely void of Cosmo. Since its oil, you could leave it in there as long as it takes to clean it up. Plus its cheap compared to these high dollar cleaners. Heck, a can of Birchwood Casey Gun Blaster costs like 10 bucks.

As for the smell, for metal parts, they end up smelling like whatever lube you use, not like diesel. Wipe the diesel off and coat them with whatever clean-lube-protect product you normally use.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:17 PM

hey i work at a car dealership with an auto body shop and a service department, the service department has a parts washer. I've thought about putting my gun in there for cleaning if it ever gets really dirty,but I'm afraid it will ruin the tritium sights from like heat. I dont know how hot it gets in there but it gets pretty darn warm. Anyone use them before?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:42 PM

I drench everything in Ballistol and let it set a while, sometimes over night....

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven not man's
Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkimber45 View Post
I drench everything in Ballistol and let it set a while, sometimes over night....
+100

Same here....

....and I also KEEP it clean and maintain it with Ballistol, the stuff NEVER congeals and it's completely non-abrasive....

well, "never" is a long time, but they have found small containers/bottles/cans, etc of Ballistol in german attics (Ballistol is a german product) that have sat there untouched since before WWII and the liquid is as stable and pure as the current production. It's an "all natural" lubricant product containing a few oils, distilled oils, and natural lubricants (parafin oil, mineral oils, etc) - it's even good for WOOD grips (germans used it as a furniture polish for YEARS in addition to its many other uses)
Muzzle-loaders have been using the stuff for years as a VERY EFFECTIVE bore-cleaner - check your local gun shop.

Keep your weapon clean and maintained immediately after shooting and I can't think of a reason to "soak, boil, shake, rattle, and roll" a gun (unless you're in the process of refinishing, restoring, etc as a cleaning/maintenance method - but that's just my oppinion.
After wearing your CCW holstered (even for an hour or so) - don't store it there repeat NEVER store it there; IMMEDIATELY remove the weapon, give it a "wipe" with the surficant of your choice and let your carry holster "dry-out" - if it's a leather or suede holster, there's the possibility of the acids used when tanning the leather (tanic acids, etc) having a negative reaction to your gun's finish; if it's a cloth/nylon/fabric holster - there's some natural moisture build up and perspiration that needs to "dry out"

Truly? I've got friends that "OVER-clean" their handguns - using harsh chemicals and cleaners that can actually damage the fit and finish of both metal and "tupperware" finished guns.

(I've even done a "shake'n'bake" on NEW "parkerized" guns to start them down that great "seasoned finish" process - just like a cast iron skillet... but that's an entirely different subject, lol)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GRP View Post
If you soak a gun, an air compressor is great for blowing all the oil (or whatever) off. Then it can be easily wiped down and relubed if necessary.

Do a search on this forum for Ed's Red and parts washer. There are other threads that have some good info in them. I love my parts washer with Ed's Red.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
I use moly as my lube so i don't wash any parts but the barrel bore. The rest i just wipe clean and relube with moly. Moly doesn't attract dirt so it wipes clean everytime really easy. Plus the 1911 will cycle much faster and smoother with moly too.

Too clean removes the oils from the pores of the metal causing it to rust really easily too. So i don't like to clean my guns squeeky clean. It may cause more problems than not cleaning it. I use a solvent on the bores and oil them.
What kind of moly lube do you use? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the reply, I've heard of guys soaking cosmoline coated guns in oil to remove the gunk, but I've never considered putting one of my other guns in the oil. I'll have to give it a try, does soaking the gun by any chance leave any kind of residue behind? I don't really care if the gun smells, but I'd be worried that if residue was left behind it would collect lint etc.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 PM

What is the matter with a good elbow grease cleaning?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:28 PM

I am with Butters on this one. When it is detail strip time, I disassemble it, thoroughly wipe down the interior of the frame and slide using "ragletts" and those plastic cleaning probes. Then I detail clean all the parts, scrub the barrel bore, reassemble with my favorite lubes and grease.

Between detail strips, I field strip and lube each outing, quick scrub the barrel occasionally.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 AM

I have soaked my guns a couple of times

Advantage: I believe it is easier to clean a weapon if it has been soaked in a solvent.

For a group of Warriors cleaning weapons in a centralized soak tank helps speed the entire process. For me as an individual: i don't want to worry with a bucket of solvent/diesel in my shed/house between cleanings...so i don't implement the soaking advantage - i use hoppes solvent (i love the smell), a brush and elbow grease. If i have persistant carbon/crude - then i will soak in solvent in a small can...but i rarely need to do that.

Elbow Grease and dental picks
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM

I agree, a bucket of diesel fuel kept somewhere in my suburban home to soak a lone pistol is probably not the best option for me. Soaking my 1911 in hot soapy water also just doesn't seem right to me. This old saying always runs through my head, "Water and wood no good (I know you remove the grips), water and steel, bad deal".

I've often wondered why one would use aggressive degreasers on their pistol. I spend some amount of money and time putting lube on. I'm not too interested in striping it all off unless I'm planning on refinishing the pistol or removing heavy packing grease like cosmoline.

I suppose my pistols just don't get that dirty. I prefer to use those lubricating cleaners like BreakFree CLP, Ballistol (as already mentioned), etc.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM

Soak in Ed's Red, wash in Dawn, rinse with boiling water, lube and protect with Ed's Red.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 AM

Ed's Red is my new favorite solvent/soak; given how well it works even without the acetone and lanolin (which I leave out for convenience sake) I can't believe this stuff isn't more popular. And while I normally lube with Mobil 1 or a Mobil 1/ATF mix, there's an outstanding deal on Kroil where you get the two, big, aerosol cans for $12 (shipped!) so I've been trying that lately. The aerosol can makes for easy "hosing" after a soak in Ed's Red.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM

As stated often here, I take the grips off, disassemble the gun and run it in a hot ultrasonic cleaner in Ed's Red for 20 minutes, blow it off and reassemble with Ultima lube grease and oil. The residue of Ed's red would almost certainly be sufficient lube.
I usually push a patch through the bore too.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:35 AM

My mechanic friend turned me on to"Safety Clean" solvent.Works great,does'nt strip all oils off gun like aerosol gun cleaners. I buy it 5 gal at a time. recycles well (paint strainers) lasts a long time. soak 5 min , then brush off and hit with compressed air, spray with "Barricade" (Birchwood Casey).
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
About every five-hundred rounds the grips come off and my 1911s get to swim in a bucket of Ed's Red for awhile. really loosens the carbon up.
Do you just dunk the whole pistol or do you field/detail strip it first?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm too lazy and usually a bit short of time to soak my guns. If my gun cleaning takes more than 20 minutes, I'm usually distracted. This includes firing pin and bore and etc. It comes out clean and properly smelling like Hoppes. Doesn't leave anything on my holster or clothes.

Once every few months, I'll spend an additional 15 minutes max going deep with a dental pick (the operative word here is "gently", so relax there sluggo).

All good- before I chuckle at guys who soak their guns, I am reminded that I wipe down the underside of my car (hemi Challenger) when I service it, so fair enough.

Enjoy, be safe.