1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM

hammer fire vs striker fire

what are the pros and cons of hammer fire and striker fire systems used in pistols?

either more dependable than the other?
will one shoot more rounds without failure than the other?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:21 PM

I have both in SA/DA are in all honesty don't find much a difference in dependability and use. Now I do prefer to see a hammer on a gun but again it is mostly a looks thing for me. However my daily carry is a striker fire SA/DA so second strike capability is there. I always carry locked and loaded regardless.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:17 PM

what do you mean second strike capability?
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM

Means when your gun is empty you can keep pulling the trigger click click click like in the movies.

In a more serious vein, it means you can hit the dead primer on a misfire again and hope it goes off.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 PM

ah, got ya, thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Striker fired tend to be double action only.

That means a harder and longer trigger pull.

With a single action or single/double action,
the trigger pull on is easier on single action
because all the trigger has to do is disengage
the sear.

Their are different striker fired mechanisms.
Some work better than others.

Striker fired are hammerless and don't have
as much to hang on clothing, and they may
be easier to conceal.

I have both, but I like to shoot my pistols
that have single/double action the most
and also like the exposed hammer.

I think striker fired are so popular because
most new, small concealable pistols are
striker fired.

Tabdog
Old 10-31-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabdog View Post
Glocks and XDs being notable exceptions.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 AM

Hmmm I've heard a lot of people say that Glocks and XD's and MP's are double action.
Well... honestly they're not... they're a whole different animal than a hammer fired weapon.
Is one more reliable than the other... I don't' think so... I'm an armorer for Glock and Colt... They are equally as reliable in comparison. It's really a matter of preferance... do you want plastic... like your wife's Tupperware... or do you want the real thing... like Dad use to have in the Corp.
It's your choice.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRod View Post
Glocks and XDs being notable exceptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1911 View Post
Hmmm I've heard a lot of people say that Glocks and XD's and MP's are double action.
Well... honestly they're not... they're a whole different animal than a hammer fired weapon.
I describe them as single and a half...but people look at me funny.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I'm heard those arguments as well. Usually right after the 9mm vs 45, plastic vs steel, and fl vs GI rod discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
I describe them as single and a half...but people look at me funny.
Thats good. I'll have to use that one.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Banned

I knew when I said that, that this would probably crop up.

For Flynlead, this may be somewhat confusing.

I have to admit that I am not knowledgeable enough to go
into all the variations in strikers and hammers.

So for you, Flynlead,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's gettin a little deep, unless you are prepared to do some
extensive investigation.

I am not trying to close off the discussion, but without more
info, we have to investigate what some folks are talking about.

I am not sure that helps flynlead.

I could be wrong, but that's

just my two cents,

Tabdog

Last edited by tabdog; 11-01-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM

Hammer fire provides a more positive ignition than striker fired.

If you don't believe, this use the pencil test.

Iron, Cold Iron, is master of men all! - Kipling
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabdog View Post
This would be news to John Browning and George Luger.

The Glock counts as double action because the striker is only partly cocked when at rest, the trigger bar draws it back the rest of the way and drops it.

The XD was promoted early on as being of single action design with safe action provided by grip safety, trigger blade safety and nearly as long and mushy a trigger pull as Glock. This has kept it from being widely accepted in law enforcement and keeps it out of IDPA SSP division.

The Plastic M&P has hardly any cam-back of the striker but careful advertising promoted it as comparable to Glock and has gotten it accepted with a lot of government sales and IDPA SSP status.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynlead View Post
either more dependable than the other?
will one shoot more rounds without failure than the other?

Not really.
Not really.

See Glocks, and HK45's as examples to your question.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM

In my view one can achieve a much better feeling trigger with a single action hammered weapon than a striker fired weapon. Both seem equally reliable.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Is one more reliable than the other... I don't' think so... I'm an armorer for Glock and Colt... They are equally as reliable in comparison. It's really a matter of preferance... do you want plastic... like your wife's Tupperware... or do you want the real thing... like Dad use to have in the Corp.
It's your choice.
Nah, I like the real thing, like real Gunny Hathcock preferred...a Glock 21!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Call me old fashioned but I'll take exposed hammer over striker fired or concealed hammer. With an exposed hammer you have the option to keep your thumb on the hammer when reholstering. I have seen a Glock go off when reholstered. Granted it was very cold and the sear engagement surface had been reduced, supposely for a lighter trigger pull, NOT. If you have your thumb on the hammer holding it, it can not fall onto the firing pin cause an AD, when reholstering. Striker fired pistols are accidents waiting to happen. If somebody gave me one I would trade it for a 1911.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM

If we are talking reliability first and foremost, then striker fired no doubt. There are many more variables that can lead to issues with an exposed hammer. As far as second strike capability, thats always been a stupid feature to me as most of the time its a bad primer and now you just lost time having to tap and rack because your second strike didn't work. I always would prefer to tap and rack first.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
It's your choice.
Oh, puleeze. The modern DA/SA striker-fired .45ACP pistol, like the Taurus 24/7, is lighter, smaller, safer and higher capacity than the standard 1911. So how dependable is a striker-fired pistol? Ever heard of the German Luger? JMB's original drawings for what became the GP.35 (Hi-Power) was a striker-fired design - the man was way out in front with that but still a generation behind the Luger. The Taurus does not have a heavy pull in DA, and in fact the DA and SA pulls are so alike I really can't tell the difference. This pistol also has a manual thumb safety. All you have to do on a loaded gun is take the safety off and pull the trigger - like a cocked and locked 1911. But unlike a C&L 1911, there is no cocked hammer poised over a live round when you are just carrying without the need to fire.
The need to see the hammer is a strange thing that I'm just starting to realize exists. It appears in some of the above responses. Taurus has even addressed it by modifying the 24/7 to a hammer system with the '800' series in order to sell guns to those who insist on seeing the hammer so they'll have confidence that the gun will fire. Hey, whatever floats your boat.
I love my 1911s - I have four, and there is nothing like them. But for carry, yes, I want a 'Tupperware' grip frame and striker fire, or at least DAO with shrouded, non-cocking hammer, as with the Kel Tec P-11.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Striker fired designs will tend to gunk up a bit faster due to the opening necessary on the bottom of the slide for the fp lug to reciprocate. Both work extremely well and I couldnt say that one is truly "superior" to the other. Also, a conventional hammer fired design allows the end user to cock the hammer so that all shots fired will be in SA mode, which of course gives the advantage of a shorter, lighter trigger pull than a striker fired design. Having that choice is NOT a bad thing in my opinion. If memory serves, Steyr made the first striker fired pistol.

Last edited by JMB1911; 11-01-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM

I own both and have not had any problems with either setup but I don't shoot ten's of thousands of rounds a year like some of you do. I am curious because a lot of the new designs are striker fire. Just wanted to hear of any issues you might have with high round counts. Also why you like one more than the other