1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 10-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Replacement grips for New Agent...

Kinda a new guy around here, but I just traded for a slightly used New Agent in 9mm and am interested in some aftermarket grips...
I prefer the slim fit, but want something in a darker finish for concealed carry.... Plus the material can be man-made...(rubber, G-10, etc...)...
Is there anyone making a direct replacement without having to change bushings etc... ?

Any help/experience is appreciated...

Travel light...stay aware...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM

Try AlumaGrips, one of the sponsor/vendor headers usually at the top of this forum's page.
I believe their prices for their slim grips usually include bushings and screws, but I don't think you HAVE to use them.
Colt CCO (1999), Wiley Clapp Commander, Dan Wesson ECO (9x23win), H&K USP .45 Tactical, Sig P220 in 9mm (now 9x23), Kimber Pro Aegis (9x23win), Springfield LWT Compact compensated, Springfield LWT GI Champion, Colt/Caspian SS Officer's, Fusion 9x23 CCO build.
It's only lying if someone believes it.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptymag View Post
Try AlumaGrips, one of the sponsor/vendor headers usually at the top of this forum's page.
I believe their prices for their slim grips usually include bushings and screws, but I don't think you HAVE to use them.
Bushings and screws are not included in AlumaGrips slim grips. Or at least they weren't when I ordered mine.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Kapuna;2892885]Is there anyone making a direct replacement without having to change bushings etc... ?

I'm not familiar enough with the Colt New Agent, to know if they come with thin grips or regular grips. If the existing grips are thin grips, then you can do a direct replacement with other thin grips with no bushing change. If the existing grips are "thick" (regular) grips, then a bushing change is necessary to convert to thin grips. And vice-versa, if you want to go from regular to thin.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I'm not familiar enough with the Colt New Agent, to know if they come with thin grips or regular grips.
It comes with thin grips, thin bushings, and thin screws.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gderf View Post
It comes with thin grips, thin bushings, and thin screws.
Thank you, sir. To the OP - change out of your grips should be very easy.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM

I'd suggest some Double Diamonds from VZ Grips in G10, personally. But you can't go wrong with anything, really, from VZ. Just about anything they make they can do in a slim, compact, variant; sometimes you just have to call and ask for it.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Try Esmerelda. She has some fabulous slim grips for this gun. She will also provide you with different bushing and screws for the grips if you desire.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Not to hi-jack this thread, but with no front/rear sights on the New Agent, how to you aim it? I held one a while back and seems it's for close-order work............point & shoot.

If I had one, I'd probably go with a Crimson Trace....if they make one to fit it.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeduck View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread, but with no front/rear sights on the New Agent, how to you aim it? I held one a while back and seems it's for close-order work............point & shoot.

If I had one, I'd probably go with a Crimson Trace....if they make one to fit it.
The New Agent has trench sights and I hit well with them out to about 7-10 yards... Plenty good for close personal protection...just not a target pistol...
Gonna work on my point and shoot technique also....

They do make a Crimson Trace LG-404 laser grip that fits with a change of grip screws and bushings... Just not sure about going that route yet...

I'm mainly wanting some slim fit grips with a smooth finish for concealed carry...
I talked the the VZ folks and they sound like a good option...

Thanks for the replies and suggestions...

Travel light...stay aware...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeduck View Post
Snip....
The CT Laser Grips for the Officer's model will fit. I have them on my Defender which has the same frame size as the New Agent. The bushings and screws would have to be swapped though, something I didn't have to do for my Defender.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 AM

Grip replacement

I replaced all of my pistol grips with Pacmayr rubber grips, true there not the prettyist looking ones out there but for SD & combat situtuations when your hands are wet from sweating they are the most reliable one's out there, as I would not be caught without them on any of my handgun's.

Last edited by COYOTE165; 10-26-2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gderf View Post
The CT Laser Grips for the Officer's model will fit. I have them on my Defender which has the same frame size as the New Agent. The bushings and screws would have to be swapped though, something I didn't have to do for my Defender.
I put CT grips on my New Agent, and they will work with just longer screws. This may not be ideal, though I haven't had any problems with them yet.

The CT grips are just made for the NA. As someone has mentioned, the trench sight is surprisingly effective out to 10, or even 15 yards. If I practice, I can put a magazine into a 2 inch group at 15 yards offhand. However, in low light, it is extremely hard to impossible to use the trench, as you need to see some contrast in trench and ejection port face to get the correct alignment. CT grips solve this problem, and they also show you just how accurate this gun really is when you can get a consistent aiming point (shot a 1 inch group at 15 yards off a sandbag using the laser).

My recommendation is to look around and find a used set of CT grips. It really makes the New Agent the perfect carry gun.
Colt New Agent, TRADED
Springfield Gov't custom mystery gun
Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown77 View Post
I put CT grips on my New Agent, and they will work with just longer screws. This may not be ideal, though I haven't had any problems with them yet.

The CT grips are just made for the NA. As someone has mentioned, the trench sight is surprisingly effective out to 10, or even 15 yards. If I practice, I can put a magazine into a 2 inch group at 15 yards offhand. However, in low light, it is extremely hard to impossible to use the trench, as you need to see some contrast in trench and ejection port face to get the correct alignment. CT grips solve this problem, and they also show you just how accurate this gun really is when you can get a consistent aiming point (shot a 1 inch group at 15 yards off a sandbag using the laser).

My recommendation is to look around and find a used set of CT grips. It really makes the New Agent the perfect carry gun.
This is exactly how mine is setup. CT grips with long screws. Got the srews off Ebay from Fusion Firearms, and never had any problems with using the long screws and thin bushings.

As far as aiming, it's really not that difficult once you learn how to use the trench. Just line up the rear of trench with the front of it and pull the trigger.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM

The problem with using thin bushings and full thickness grips like the CTs are is that it is possible to damage the grips when fully tightening the screws.

The way these things are designed is that the proper bushing sits just below the counter-bore in the grip. When fully tightened, the grip deflects just enough to allow the underside of the screw head to come into contact with the bushing. Further tightening just risks damaging the screw by either stripping out the slot / allen or shearing the head off entirely.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COYOTE165 View Post
I replaced all of my pistol grips with Pacmayr rubber grips, true there not the prettyist looking ones out there but for SD & combat situtuations when your hands are wet from sweating they are the most reliable one's out there, as I would not be caught without them on any of my handgun's.
VZ Grips in G10 are much better than rubber when your hands are wet.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
VZ Grips in G10 are much better than rubber when your hands are wet.
I would have to agree. VZ Double Diamonds in G10 aren't just grippy, in the usual sense, those things reach out and "bite"; and I mean that in the best way possible. I'd say they're my "hands down" favorite, but that would sound like a bad pun.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 PM

I like VZ in the black cherry color. I like the EDC grips best for range and carry. Carry them on my Colt officer's every day. Very good grips that function very well too.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COYOTE165 View Post
I also only use rubber grips on all my pistols, either Pacmayr or Houge, hunting in the heat and humidity of Florida not to mention the swamps we have to traverse I have found them to be perfect for wet conditions, your hands will not slip on those grips, and they don't have to have an aggressive cut that will eat up your hands like alot of the other grips out there.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM

Nearly a two year old thread...I think the OP has probably resolved his grip problems by now.