1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Kapuna Kapuna is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SE TX
Posts: 31
Replacement grips for New Agent...




Kinda a new guy around here, but I just traded for a slightly used New Agent in 9mm and am interested in some aftermarket grips...
I prefer the slim fit, but want something in a darker finish for concealed carry.... Plus the material can be man-made...(rubber, G-10, etc...)...
Is there anyone making a direct replacement without having to change bushings etc... ?

Any help/experience is appreciated...
__________________

Travel light...stay aware...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM
emptymag emptymag is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,961
Try AlumaGrips, one of the sponsor/vendor headers usually at the top of this forum's page.
I believe their prices for their slim grips usually include bushings and screws, but I don't think you HAVE to use them.
__________________
Colt CCO (1999), Wiley Clapp Commander, Dan Wesson ECO (9x23win), H&K USP .45 Tactical, Sig P220 in 9mm (now 9x23), Kimber Pro Aegis (9x23win), Springfield LWT Compact compensated, Springfield LWT GI Champion, Colt/Caspian SS Officer's, Fusion 9x23 CCO build.
It's only lying if someone believes it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 PM
shooter1911 shooter1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptymag View Post
Try AlumaGrips, one of the sponsor/vendor headers usually at the top of this forum's page.
I believe their prices for their slim grips usually include bushings and screws, but I don't think you HAVE to use them.
Bushings and screws are not included in AlumaGrips slim grips. Or at least they weren't when I ordered mine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 AM
RetiredRod's Avatar
RetiredRod RetiredRod is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 9,038
[QUOTE=Kapuna;2892885]Is there anyone making a direct replacement without having to change bushings etc... ?

I'm not familiar enough with the Colt New Agent, to know if they come with thin grips or regular grips. If the existing grips are thin grips, then you can do a direct replacement with other thin grips with no bushing change. If the existing grips are "thick" (regular) grips, then a bushing change is necessary to convert to thin grips. And vice-versa, if you want to go from regular to thin.
__________________


NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 AM
gderf gderf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I'm not familiar enough with the Colt New Agent, to know if they come with thin grips or regular grips.
It comes with thin grips, thin bushings, and thin screws.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM
RetiredRod's Avatar
RetiredRod RetiredRod is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 9,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by gderf View Post
It comes with thin grips, thin bushings, and thin screws.
Thank you, sir. To the OP - change out of your grips should be very easy.
__________________


NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Horoscope Fish Horoscope Fish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sunny So-Cal
Posts: 5,857
I'd suggest some Double Diamonds from VZ Grips in G10, personally. But you can't go wrong with anything, really, from VZ. Just about anything they make they can do in a slim, compact, variant; sometimes you just have to call and ask for it.
__________________
How to Post Pics on the Forum
Accuracy Impaired Yet, Ballistically Challenged.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
TracerBullet TracerBullet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,460
Try Esmerelda. She has some fabulous slim grips for this gun. She will also provide you with different bushing and screws for the grips if you desire.
__________________
"It's not the arrow; it's the indian." - Pat Fischer
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 PM
primeduck primeduck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alexander, Arkansas
Posts: 117
Not to hi-jack this thread, but with no front/rear sights on the New Agent, how to you aim it? I held one a while back and seems it's for close-order work............point & shoot.

If I had one, I'd probably go with a Crimson Trace....if they make one to fit it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Kapuna Kapuna is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SE TX
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeduck View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread, but with no front/rear sights on the New Agent, how to you aim it? I held one a while back and seems it's for close-order work............point & shoot.

If I had one, I'd probably go with a Crimson Trace....if they make one to fit it.
The New Agent has trench sights and I hit well with them out to about 7-10 yards... Plenty good for close personal protection...just not a target pistol...
Gonna work on my point and shoot technique also....

They do make a Crimson Trace LG-404 laser grip that fits with a change of grip screws and bushings... Just not sure about going that route yet...

I'm mainly wanting some slim fit grips with a smooth finish for concealed carry...
I talked the the VZ folks and they sound like a good option...

Thanks for the replies and suggestions...
__________________

Travel light...stay aware...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 PM
gderf gderf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeduck View Post
Snip....
If I had one, I'd probably go with a Crimson Trace....if they make one to fit it.
The CT Laser Grips for the Officer's model will fit. I have them on my Defender which has the same frame size as the New Agent. The bushings and screws would have to be swapped though, something I didn't have to do for my Defender.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 AM
COYOTE165 COYOTE165 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYS
Posts: 588
Grip replacement

I replaced all of my pistol grips with Pacmayr rubber grips, true there not the prettyist looking ones out there but for SD & combat situtuations when your hands are wet from sweating they are the most reliable one's out there, as I would not be caught without them on any of my handgun's.

Last edited by COYOTE165; 10-26-2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Hammerdown77 Hammerdown77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by gderf View Post
The CT Laser Grips for the Officer's model will fit. I have them on my Defender which has the same frame size as the New Agent. The bushings and screws would have to be swapped though, something I didn't have to do for my Defender.
I put CT grips on my New Agent, and they will work with just longer screws. This may not be ideal, though I haven't had any problems with them yet.

The CT grips are just made for the NA. As someone has mentioned, the trench sight is surprisingly effective out to 10, or even 15 yards. If I practice, I can put a magazine into a 2 inch group at 15 yards offhand. However, in low light, it is extremely hard to impossible to use the trench, as you need to see some contrast in trench and ejection port face to get the correct alignment. CT grips solve this problem, and they also show you just how accurate this gun really is when you can get a consistent aiming point (shot a 1 inch group at 15 yards off a sandbag using the laser).

My recommendation is to look around and find a used set of CT grips. It really makes the New Agent the perfect carry gun.
__________________
Harrison Custom Springfield Lightweight Gov't
Springfield MC Operator
1991 Colt Commander Stainless
Colt New Agent, TRADED
Springfield Gov't custom mystery gun
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 AM
j21blackjack j21blackjack is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown77 View Post
I put CT grips on my New Agent, and they will work with just longer screws. This may not be ideal, though I haven't had any problems with them yet.

The CT grips are just made for the NA. As someone has mentioned, the trench sight is surprisingly effective out to 10, or even 15 yards. If I practice, I can put a magazine into a 2 inch group at 15 yards offhand. However, in low light, it is extremely hard to impossible to use the trench, as you need to see some contrast in trench and ejection port face to get the correct alignment. CT grips solve this problem, and they also show you just how accurate this gun really is when you can get a consistent aiming point (shot a 1 inch group at 15 yards off a sandbag using the laser).

My recommendation is to look around and find a used set of CT grips. It really makes the New Agent the perfect carry gun.
This is exactly how mine is setup. CT grips with long screws. Got the srews off Ebay from Fusion Firearms, and never had any problems with using the long screws and thin bushings.

As far as aiming, it's really not that difficult once you learn how to use the trench. Just line up the rear of trench with the front of it and pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM
gderf gderf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 736
The problem with using thin bushings and full thickness grips like the CTs are is that it is possible to damage the grips when fully tightening the screws.

The way these things are designed is that the proper bushing sits just below the counter-bore in the grip. When fully tightened, the grip deflects just enough to allow the underside of the screw head to come into contact with the bushing. Further tightening just risks damaging the screw by either stripping out the slot / allen or shearing the head off entirely.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM
JoeT JoeT is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by COYOTE165 View Post
I replaced all of my pistol grips with Pacmayr rubber grips, true there not the prettyist looking ones out there but for SD & combat situtuations when your hands are wet from sweating they are the most reliable one's out there, as I would not be caught without them on any of my handgun's.
VZ Grips in G10 are much better than rubber when your hands are wet.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Horoscope Fish Horoscope Fish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sunny So-Cal
Posts: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
VZ Grips in G10 are much better than rubber when your hands are wet.
I would have to agree. VZ Double Diamonds in G10 aren't just grippy, in the usual sense, those things reach out and "bite"; and I mean that in the best way possible. I'd say they're my "hands down" favorite, but that would sound like a bad pun.
__________________
How to Post Pics on the Forum
Accuracy Impaired Yet, Ballistically Challenged.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 PM
OhShot! OhShot! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,767
I like VZ in the black cherry color. I like the EDC grips best for range and carry. Carry them on my Colt officer's every day. Very good grips that function very well too.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:22 PM
NRAJIM NRAJIM is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 49
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by COYOTE165 View Post
I replaced all of my pistol grips with Pacmayr rubber grips, true there not the prettyist looking ones out there but for SD & combat situtuations when your hands are wet from sweating they are the most reliable one's out there, as I would not be caught without them on any of my handgun's.
I also only use rubber grips on all my pistols, either Pacmayr or Houge, hunting in the heat and humidity of Florida not to mention the swamps we have to traverse I have found them to be perfect for wet conditions, your hands will not slip on those grips, and they don't have to have an aggressive cut that will eat up your hands like alot of the other grips out there.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM
AreB AreB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,360
Nearly a two year old thread...I think the OP has probably resolved his grip problems by now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved