1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Para LTC

Any owners of the commander sized Para LTC? How do you like it? Pro's con's? I am looking to buy a nice commander sized 1911. I have a Para CCW lightly customised, but want a SA/Commander sized 1911 this time.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 AM

I have a "still new" ltc that i have only shot around 300 rounds with. So far it's doing pretty good, the only issue i have had is when reloading with a new magazine sometimes the first round will not go into the chamber all the way. Have tried slide release and sling shot method with the same results. I have ordered a couple of wilson mags to try and also i think that being new its still tight. This is common with some new guns and i think it will resolve itself once it has been broken in good. Other than that, its a good shooting gun and a good concealed carry gun.

Swat122
Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM

I carried an LTC almost daily for over 4 years and still carry it regularly. (I'm breaking in a freshly customized Springfield Mil-Spec at the moment.) I have put thousands of rounds through it without any issues. I would not hesitate to recommend the LTC.
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 PM

I have had a CCW for a number of years now and it is my favorite carry piece. It is also lightly customized. However, I would also like to get a commander length 1911 with an alloy frame. Sometimes it would be nice to "lighten the load" a bit. Sure would be nice if Para offered the CCW with an alloy frame.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:29 AM

I had an LTC for several years and never had a problem with it. I got stupid one day and decided I wanted something different and sold the LTC to my best friend. He still has it, shoots it extensively and has never had a probelm. He loves that gun. Now he in lust with my CCO I recently bought. He;s hoping I decied to sell it also.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 PM

good experience with LTC

I bought a number of the Bud's Gun Shop weapons over the last two months. Mostly 5" 1911s and 3.5" 1911 variations. On a whim, I bought two LTCs, a stainless and a Regal. I have put 350+ rounds though each and am now a devoted follower. The sights are far enough apart, like the Full Size 1911, and the recoil seems less than a 1911 Compact. This may be the best compromise of dimentions I have seen.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM

I've been looking at the commander size 1911s with an alloy frame to buy and keep going back to the LTC Regal. I'm well pleased with my Para GI so I ordered the LTC. I should have it monday and I'll let you know what I think of it.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 AM

I got my LTC Alloy and was comparing it with my GI and the weight seemed about the same. Took it to a local grocer and had it weighed and it was 34.4oz. The gun lists at 28oz. The case is marked alloy and 7 round mags of which mine are 8 round. Did I get a steel frame LTC? What is the weight of the steel frame LTC? Is there a way of telling by markings or the serial number if it is alloy or steel?

It was weighed without a mag.

Last edited by LameWolf; 11-23-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 AM

Checked it wit a magnet and it's steel.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LameWolf View Post
Checked it wit a magnet and it's steel.
Is that a deal breaker or are you OK with it being ferrous?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Bought it for a CCW but I can live with it not being alloy. Just another toy in a big kids toy box.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 PM

Got a Colt Commander, A Para LTC and the LTC shoots Better. Got a LTC in LDA and love it, love that LDA trigger. Best handgun size to caliber ever.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 PM

I've got an LTC with the green finish and the all the bells and whistles that came with it from Para. Commander length but with a 14 rd. mag. capacity. I bought it new about three years (or so) ago but I've shot less than 150 rds. through it with absolutely no trouble. I really like it.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd5exl View Post
... Commander length but with a 14 rd. mag. capacity. ...
Get out. What is the model number? 14 shot frame w/ commander-length slide, that's pretty cool. No FTF or FTE episodes? Wish I could say that about my PX1445S.

I have a PCX745S on its way to me as soon as I cut the check and I'm pretty fired up about it. It seems that everyone who has one of these LTC's really likes it.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM

Here she be! I'm not sure of the model number as the case/box is put up somewhere. I've never been able to find it in a catalog. I bought it new from a gun store here in Kerr County, TX. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 PM

Know what? I would love to clean that gun. Just so I could take it apart and put it back together and just play with it for a little while. That's one of the best looking Para's I've seen.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the compliment. I also think it's a very attractive pistol. I didn't buy it 'cause it was green, I bought it 'cause it was the only commander length barrel with a full grip (14 rd. mag.) I had ever seen! The green has now grown on me and I like it. It's got those low profile sights and extended safety, slotted trigger with overtravel screw and those thin grips fit my hand great. It'll shoot 15 rds. as fast as you can pull the trigger! When I'm shootin' slower, it's very accurate (more accurate than I am). Get to Kerr County and I'll let ya' shoot it.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Ltc 9mm

Hello All, I recently picked up 2 LTC Alloy 9mm's. My wife and I both love the guns. The only problem I have is the magazines. Para loves to put large floor plates/bumpers on their mags and I like having flush floor plates (CC). So I purchased 4 different mags. 2 Wilson Combat and 2 Meggar. Only problem is both guns will not run JHP ammo with the "after" market mags. FMJ ammo is no problem.
The problem I see is when the slide goes forward, the nose of the round goes down when the slide hits the rear of the round. This causes the round to hit the feed ramp and STOP. I have tried both full mag loads and reduced mag loads to see if spring/ follower tension is the issue. Same results.
Any ideas/ suggestions.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd5exl View Post
Here she be! I'm not sure of the model number as the case/box is put up somewhere. I've never been able to find it in a catalog. I bought it new from a gun store here in Kerr County, TX. Sorry for the crappy pics.

I would LOVE to have one of those LTC Hi caps. Very cool.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger69 View Post
Hello All, I recently picked up 2 LTC Alloy 9mm's. My wife and I both love the guns. The only problem I have is the magazines. Para loves to put large floor plates/bumpers on their mags and I like having flush floor plates (CC). So I purchased 4 different mags. 2 Wilson Combat and 2 Meggar. Only problem is both guns will not run JHP ammo with the "after" market mags. FMJ ammo is no problem.
The problem I see is when the slide goes forward, the nose of the round goes down when the slide hits the rear of the round. This causes the round to hit the feed ramp and STOP. I have tried both full mag loads and reduced mag loads to see if spring/ follower tension is the issue. Same results.
Any ideas/ suggestions.
Thanks
Maybe use a different kind of follower in the mags? Or have the feed ramp polished? I'm not a gunsmith but I've read those fixes can sometimes help. A competent gunsmith can probably tell what's wrong in a heartbeat after examining the pistol and mags. Just my two cents worth.