1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 PM

RIA compact tactical?

I have seen photos of a Rock Island compact with "tactical" sights, but I have never seen one for sale. I only ever see the standard compact with GI sights. Does this animal actually exist?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfltackdriver View Post
I have seen photos of a Rock Island compact with "tactical" sights, but I have never seen one for sale. I only ever see the standard compact with GI sights. Does this animal actually exist?
I have a 5" tactical model coming next week. It has three dot sight on it standard. I believe they also have a Commander style tactical as well. At least that's what I was told when I ordered mine.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfltackdriver View Post
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-CS.aspx

Maybe this will help you

rock on

Happiness is not a destination. It is a manner of traveling.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 PM

centerfire systems has the compact with tac sites i have the citiadel tac same maker differnt roll mark carry it everyday and it shoots great!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 PM

yes. the compact tactical has novak sights, beaver tail grip safety, skeleton hammer and trigger. no commander tactical. no dots on the sights. no ambi safety on the compact tactical, only the full size.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=193897378
Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks, everybody.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:54 PM

i was in the same boat....RIA tactical 5" but not the 3.5".....so i got the standard compact (BTGS and combat hammer)....i dont care for the "special" trigger, the cut outs look kinda cheesey to me, the but sights are a big improvement over the one i had to settle for.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM

there are actually three models out there.

a straight GI model, a Tac model and a "tweener' model that has a beavertail.
I see more "tweener" models than anything 'round my hood .
Whether they still import all three, i don't know

Quote:
It has three dot sight on it standard.
you have "dots" on your sights??

There is only one other guy I know of that had dots on his Tac sights .
He might be a member here too, i know he is on the other 1911 board.

anyway, his came from the factory with "genuine" Novak 3 dot sights.
all the Tacs I've seen have a Novak "style" plain black sight..no dots

..L.T.A.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:36 PM

Unless they have changed just lately they have Novak STYLE sights, not 3 DOT sights, same with the 4'' pistol NO Tac.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Tac Sights

My 1 week old CS-Tactical, that is now at Pahrump getting fixed. Has Black on Black. Novak "STYLE" rear sight. It is not an exact copy of a Novak. It's similar to Novaks. The upside is that it has a slightly shallower dovetail than a Novak by about .008". Novak will not install sights in a RIA. They claim "there is too much work required. If I had to do it all again I'd get the GI CS model. True I'd change Hammer, Sear, Safety, Grip Safety, Trigger, Trigger Stop, Firing Pin stop Plate, Firing Pin, Firing Pin Return spring, and Sights. That's a good chunk for Wilson parts, but that's most of the MIM parts.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:26 AM

Do these pistols function reliably with hardball????
Old 10-29-2010, 04:13 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Walker View Post
Do these pistols function reliably with hardball????
Yes.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 AM

Mine has for for almost 3 yrs and 3200 rounds, I had some problems with FTRB Failed to return to battery when new. I see by your post that you are new to the forum, Let me be the first one to welcome you.IMO most pistols will run on FMJ or hard ball after you clean the cosmoline off of them when you get home and lube it really well, lots of oil or some grease on the slide and don't forgrt to take the Magazine apart and clean it good also, then just wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag, let us know how it shoots.I think you will be happy with it.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:11 PM

I can't find it on the website...Does SARCO offer the compact tactical RIA 1911?

Thanks
Wes
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 PM

I don't think I have seen them on the Sarco site but Centerfire Systems has them I believe.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 AM

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-CS.aspx

JG
Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 AM

Sarco doesn't have the CS model. You're best bet is Centerfire Systems. Low price and 15 bucks for shipping (that includes California)....can't beat the price anywhere. My local FFL couldn't beat the price I was offered.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:02 AM

Does the CS have a bull barrel and full length guide rod?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:27 AM

Is this the CS model you are all talking about? The description calls it a CST. The front sight looks to be a dovetail. I am hoping to find a RI compact with Novak rear and dovetail front and a bull barrel. I have looked on the RI website and they show a 1911A1-45CS RIA which has a bull barrel but with standard sights front and back and a 6rd mag. They also show a 1911A1-45CS RIA TAC with a standard barrel but LPA style front sights and dovetail rear and a 7rd mag. Does anyone know if the barrels and guide rod are interchangeable between the the models?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208058804
Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 AM

[QUOTE=SavageOne;2983245]Is this the CS model you are all talking about? The description calls it a CST. The front sight looks to be a dovetail. I am hoping to find a RI compact with Novak rear and dovetail front and a bull barrel. I have looked on the RI website and they show a 1911A1-45CS RIA which has a bull barrel but with standard sights front and back and a 6rd mag. They also show a 1911A1-45CS RIA TAC with a standard barrel but LPA style front sights and dovetail rear and a 7rd mag. Does anyone know if the barrels and guide rod are interchangeable between the the models?
The RIA CS Tac.pistol comes with a 7 round MAG.
All of their 4'' and 3 1//2'' pistols have Bull barrels
the TAC pistol comes with Novak style sights. front sight is dovetailed, not a true NOVAK CUT on the front sight. barrels and guide rods are the same.the cheaper version has small sites and the front is not dovetailed it is staked.look at Centerfire Systems site they have them pictured.
if you got your info. from the RIA web it is wrong.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
Does the CS have a bull barrel and full length guide rod?
Yes.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:50 AM

That is the same gun I bought from Centerfire systems and is the 1911A1 CS. It has the skeleton trigger, hammer, beaver tail and novak style dove tailed sights.

The other model the CSP is a bit cheaper but has the same hammer and beaver tail safety. The trigger is solid sides and sights are standard GI type sights.

Neither guns have dots on the sights at all but are combat type. I hope that is understandable.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info on where to find these. I've placed an order for one so hopefully I'll have it by the end of this coming week!

The pistol looks impressive for the money. I've got three Kimbers and an older 1911 High Capacity Rock Island. I think my High Capacity RockIsland/Armscorp was made pre-CNC machining stations, so it will be interesting to compare the build quality/differences.

Can anyone point me to a source for reliable proper flush fit mags for these pistols?

Anyone duracoat one? Seems like the parkerized finish should soak it right up for a nice smooth finish but I'm curious to know if there's anything to watch out for with this model.

Thanks again!
Wes
Old 12-24-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangstang View Post
Thanks for the info on where to find these. I've placed an order for one so hopefully I'll have it by the end of this coming week!

The pistol looks impressive for the money. I've got three Kimbers and an older 1911 High Capacity Rock Island. I think my High Capacity RockIsland/Armscorp was made pre-CNC machining stations, so it will be interesting to compare the build quality/differences.

Can anyone point me to a source for reliable proper flush fit mags for these pistols?

Anyone duracoat one? Seems like the parkerized finish should soak it right up for a nice smooth finish but I'm curious to know if there's anything to watch out for with this model.

Thanks again!
Wes
I think all the current Armscor/RIA are CNC machined at least according to what I've read. Perhaps the older ones are but the current ones should be.