1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 10-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Break-Free CLP vs LP

I was in a local gun store the other day and noticed that they carried Break-Free "LP", which presumably is just a lubricant and preservative and lacks the cleaning agent of the regular CLP. The label mentions that it was designed for automatic weapons or some such.

Has anyone who used this noticed any performance advantages over their normal CLP? They both appear to be priced the same.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 PM

as far as i understood this:
LP has a slightly higher viscosity than CLP and therefore stays a bit longer in the gun, the downside is that there is no "Clean" thus lacks a bit of the solvent-like feature as there is in CLP, which in turn you have to apply a bit more often.

CLP is usually better for us guys/gals that tend to care a bit for our guns and clean them regularly, LP is more for those living in a desert, fighting all day and not have time for treating their rifle/handgun all the time.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 PM

I don't know anything about living in a desert or fighting all day (or cleaning for that matter)... but I did sleep in a holiday inn last night!

Seriously, I really have found Breakfree only as a good lube and preserver. The LP stuff is thicker than the CLP by a fair degree.

I have yet been able to utilize the cleaner part.

So does either lube work? Yes.

Does either work better than the other. Not really.

So in conclusion, buy whatever is more convienient, and use it up, then find something cheaper.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 AM

I love the smell off breakfree in the morning. It means some shooting has been going on. I was first introduced to breakfree when I was in the USN first time we used on a 5" gun we had just fired about 400 rounds we swabbed the barrel with a couple times let it sit for and hour clean rags through it and we were done . Made a firm believer out of me. I use it on the thirty guns I own
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM

I use Breakfree CLP for barrels at home. If there is heavy leading or copper, swabbing and allowing it to work overnight gets it clean. I am not concerned with all copper removal, though most of it does get removed, since what remains is inconsequential to accuracy at that level of fouling.
I also use it in my shooting bag to minimize the bulk in the bag.