1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Will Kydex scratch my gun?

Ok, so I just dropped a bunch on money on my first 1911 (Kimber.) Because this has been the most expensive gun that I've purchased, I am still a little "over protective" of it

I plan on ordering a Milt Sparks VM2 for it next week. Since there is now a 30 week waiting period, I want to buy something to CC in the mean time.

From all the good reviews, I am considering the Crossbreed Supertuck to use until my VM2 arrives. I am worried about the kydex material scratching or making marks on my gun.

Will this be an issue? Any other suggestions on a holster that I can use for the time being?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM

Holstering your pistol will cause ware. It's a good thing. With kydex, when your train like you are supposed to, this can be exacerbated. When dust or dirt gets into the holster or on the gun, you will hear and feel it when you reholster your pistol. That is also a good thing. It means your are training. If you don't want to hurt your finish, leave the gun in the safe.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 PM

I would suggest, until your VM11 gets here, buying a used leather holster from one of the forums. Generally you can find one that will work well.
Certified Firearms Instructor
Semper Fi
Old 09-29-2010, 05:23 PM

I find that Kydex causes shiny spots where it makes contact with the gun's finish. I am not aware of any scratches on mine from it. Leather will cause blue wear. Either will cause your gun to show marks from use. I don't find the wear or shiny spots a problem.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:24 PM

you could always go cheap and get a Tagua until then...they're only like $20-$30, and available on ebay, some gun shops, and there's probably a slew of them on the internet...they're pretty decent for the price

I have a custom spur and western decoration business! http://www.facebook.com/pages/JH-Spurs/211804625565944 & http://www.etsy.com/shop/JHSpurs?ref=si_shop
Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 PM

The more finish wear, the better looking the gun. No exceptions.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 PM

To give a more direct answer to your question, ALL HOLSTERS, no matter who made them, how much they cost, or what they're made of will wear your guns finish.

Kydex will rather quickly wear the finish, but only on the areas where the holster is molded to actually contact the gun.
This wear is self-limiting. It'll wear so far and not much more.
It's common to see guns carried in Kydex that are worn to bare metal on contact points, but the rest of the gun looks like new.
Kydex can be easily washed off with hot soapy water to clean it.

Leather will wear a little slower, but since leather stretches and flexes, it'll make more and more contact over a much larger area and that will wear more and more of the finish over the entire gun.
On guns carried in leather the finish will be worn bright on edges and the rest of the finish will be wearing thin.
Leather can't be easily cleaned and the inside will allow dirt and grit to embed in the soft leather surface. That grit will wear and scratch the gun.

As above, if you don't want any wear marks or scratches on your gun, never put it in a holster of any kind.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 PM

Tucker Gunleather makes a couple of leather lined kydex holsters, I had their "silent thunder" model for a Keltec PF9, I found it to be a very high quality holster.

I traded the KT for a Gov. sized 1911 and recently ordered their leather lined The Answer" holster which is similar to the supertuck and minotaur. The holster is 125, and an extra 15 for the leather lining which is added during checkout.

I ordered it 4 weeks ago and they sent me a shipping notice yesterday.

They have been super to deal with, very prompt with returning e mails and answering questions.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 PM

With enough presentations, all holsters will cause wear. If that worries you, you may want to consider a coating such as hard chrome, Ion Bond, or something along those lines.