1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:45 PM

NIB Colt XSE Lightweight Government model

My local just got a new Colt Lightweight Government model for $999.99, tax, tag, title - out the door. I made the mistake of handling it and now I'm wondering. It isn't in my budget, or even on my radar but it is sweet! It even feels lighter than my aluminum frame CQB. Is that a good enough price for me to rush down there and grab it? Any insight would be appreciated.

Art

Addendum: I see that the Retail Price is listed as $973.00 - but nobody seems to have them.

Last edited by paragator; 09-25-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 PM

I picked up a loaner yesterday, I'm torn.
I had myself convinced that I have enough GMs, but....

Needs the usual edge removals (can't do it on the alloy frame but the slide can be done), and I'd feel better if it had a ramped barrel. If I end up keeping it it'll get one.
Would need less work overall (and less after-buy expense) than I normally do on a GM since it comes with a decent beavertail & three-dot sights.

Strangely appealing, even though I've never had any interest in an alloy-framed 1911 variant.
As a spare, or an alternative to going Full-On Glock when the steel GM gets too heavy, might be do-able.

Can't address the price beyond saying if you want it bad enough to spend that much, it's your decision.

The 9mm New Agent that came in with it would take some getting used to, but good to see Colt's catching up to SHOT Show promises.

Denis
Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 PM

In some areas they are hard to find, I have seen them lower than the price you quoted, its a tad too high
Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 AM

I have seen a couple. Given our taxes down here that would not be a bad price out the door.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 AM

Availabiliy

I see buying Colts in my area like buying real-estate. With real-estate its location, location, location that effect the pricing. With Colts its availability, availability, availability.
Yes, you can buy on line, but if you are like me, I do not like to buy sight unseen. Besides that, it seems most everyone of the on-line dealers have very few Colts right now with the exception being the rail gun. Plus, as I understand it, Colt produces their pistols in batches according to models, so if you are looking for a particular model, odds are your going to have to wait, and wait, and wait.
My question to you would be will you regret not buying it the next time you go into your gun shop and see the empty spot.
Good luck on your decision.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the input guys! Huey, you're probably right. I think I'll go fondle it tomorrow after work. This might be my best chance for this model and hey! Who doesn't need another Colt? Right? Right?

Art
Old 09-27-2010, 02:29 AM

Everyone needs another Colt. You can not have too many Colts.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:48 PM

yes, you need another Colt! We all do! I picked up a LW XSE Commander last Friday just like the model you are talking about. It had been at the local gun shop for awhile and he was finally willing to deal a little. I got mine for $875 plus tax. I really, REALLY like this gun. It shoots perfect, no jams of any kind so far with 300 rounds thru it. It conceal carries like a dream (except hiding the handle is a little tougher than on my Defender) and shoots so nice. It shoots point of aim for me. This is my first Commander but it will not be my last. An all steel one is next on the list. Good luck with your impending purchase. Go on, go get it. Do it for us See, now the pressure is off, now you have a reason to get it. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM

I purchased a LW Gov Monday for $945.00 at a local dealer.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM

I got my XSE right about 1200 out the door (Tad over priced I know...) but poured another few hundred into mags and laser and such.

I am damn glad I got it when I did. I bought it with credit card on the spot when I saw it being passed from person to person being fondled. It sat in the case for months.

If it is tight, smooth and crisp trigger get it and don't worry about the money. You might have to give up your other vices if any for a few weeks to make up the difference.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 PM

My local shop did not even know it was a lightweight until I asked about it...
Old 02-02-2011, 05:59 PM

One just came at local fun store this week. It is a blue XSE. Very sweet and priced at $999. I do not know if they would deal on it, but I like it a lot. Not really in the market, but if I had the disposable income, I would be its proud owner.

Regards,

Chuck
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Put some money down on one. 3 months to pay. Layaway on it.

That should help.

I know these are hard times, but do the best you can.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Had mine since 11/10 and I love this pistol!. Swallowed at least 2500 LSWCs and HPs by now and havent seen one choke it yet. Best Colt buy I have ever made!

NREMT-P, AL state EMT-P, ACLS, BTLS, PALS, PHTLS 1991-2006
Old 07-24-2011, 05:09 PM

$999.99 That's a fair price. If it's going to be a carry gun go for it. If it's a shooter or an addition to a collection, I'd prefer the steel framed version. Either way this is one of Colt's better offerings.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 AM

I'm interested in one for a carry pistol project.

First, I'd have it dehorned to remove those pesky sharp edges.

I'd then have it bobtailed and have Robar apply their borderless stippling to the front strap and mainspring housing. The bobtail would decrease the discomfort of the butt poking me in the ribs while sitting and increase concealment when bending down. The stippling would give me a little more grip to control the increased recoil of the lightweight pistol and looks a little different compared to the standard front strap checkering everyone else has.

Ed Brown sells a smooth bobtail mainspring housing, so the mainspring housing can match the front strap stippling.

I'd then add Ed Brown slim cocobolo grip panels with appropriate bushings and screws. I prefer the feel of slim wood grips.

I'd then have Ed Brown 3 dot tritium night sights installed.

I'd finish it off with Robar NP3 on the frame and barrel and black Robar Poly T2 on the slide for a highly durable, highly corrosion resistant, and highly attractive two-tone look.

Add some nice leather and it would be a great carry pistol

Last edited by Ragsdale 30 cal; 07-25-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Closed Thread