1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 09-30-2002, 10:00 AM

Buying a Norinco .45 1911

I'm planning to buy a 1911 but i'm low on budget. Someone recommended Norinco because of its price and reliability. I'm in the Philippines and it costs 11,000 Pesos here ($ 215) brand new.

Any feedback or advice or suggestion would be highly appreciated since this would be my fitst gun.

Thank you all and God bless!!!
Old 09-30-2002, 12:34 PM

I have owned one and shot it a lot in the last few years. It is the best 1911 the Red Chinese make!
NRA Life Member
Old 09-30-2002, 08:07 PM

WELCOME!!

If the quality of the Norinco 1911A1s have remained the same as when they were inported into the US, you would be served well by one. My three 'Rincos have been great pistols.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:27 AM

Thanks guys! That gave some help. I'm also planning to customize it with beaver tail, ambi-safties, bo-mar sights, bull barrel, and other stuff.

Will all these fit the Norinco like all other good 1911s? Does Norinco have any breakage or reliability problems?
Old 10-01-2002, 04:19 AM

hi there. i have been wanting to purchase a norinco as well. i have posted inquiries in the board and all replies have been very favorable as to the performance and durability of the norinco copy of the m1911A1.

in this regard, would you be so kind enough as to let me know what/where the name of the gunshop (and phone number if available) where you checked out the norinco you mentioned? a few more points;

- is it the plain M1911A1 (by plain i mean no enhancements whatsoever)? the reason i mentioned the plain M1911A1 is because i've seen models that are factory semi-enhanced.

- is it the standard full size model (5" barrel)

thanks for taking time out to answer these questions. appreciate your help very much. best regards.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:37 AM

It was my brother who informed me about the Norinco and its price. I Think its the plain .45 he was talking about and yes, its the full size government like model. I'll let you know the name of the gun store as soon as my brother lets me know.

By the way where are you in the Phillipines?
Old 10-01-2002, 04:50 AM

Hey Nenoshi, I just inquired at Trust Trade at Park Ave., Robinsons Galeria in Quezon City and They're selling the Norinco at 15,500 Pesos for the all blue, and 16,500 for the two tone model, both come with a 7 round magazine and an extra. It's a bit pricey at Trust Trade because their store is inside a well known mall. I'll let you know some more maybe tomorrow after a bit of research.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:41 AM

gun prices are a bit steep at trust trade; they are inside a mall (higher operating expense) and they claim to be the authorized distributor of norinco pistols in the country.

last time i checked out, norincos they have in stock are the semi-enhanced (beavertail and combat trigger), cavalry, two-toned semi-racers and commander models. no plain-jane GMs were in sight, the type i am partial to.

there are still some scattered here and there but the prices are just a bit lower than what they offer at trust trade. i just hope the price you mentioned still stands.

anyway, thanks pare for the tip. will be waiting (fingers crossed) for the feedback on the gunstore you spoke about. thanks alot and best regards.

btw, am based in cubao, metro manila. be safe...
Old 10-04-2002, 11:12 AM

I recently got one and it looks to be of ok quality, but I have not fired it yet, will post my results here by at least next weekend.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:30 PM

Well all I can say is that it ain't no target gun, but it will eat what you feed it.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:47 PM

Hello. I might have lucked into a really nice one, but my Norinco, which has had some parts changed out, but not the bbl, shoots pretty darned well. This fifteen yard group is pretty much the norm for it. Like the previous poster mentioned, they seem to work very reliably. This one now has over 1200 rnds through it with SWC, FMJ, and JHPs with zero malfunctions...as in none.

Best.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:50 AM

I'm another rinco owner who has been absolutely pleased with their Rinco!!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill
Old 10-07-2002, 10:00 PM

Well I was only using norinco fmj, I will shoot several hundred rounds of fmj, see if it don't improve, than maby sell it or fit some different parts in it....
Old 10-07-2002, 10:28 PM

J_C ... check your PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:57 AM

yeah shall do, I have forgotton that I had such a thing. How much does frame to slide fit have to do with acuracy? If it moves only slightly like I don't know maby 2paper sheet thinkness or slightly less is that enough to throw acuracy off? I think I may spend a bit more money to have it shoot a bit better. I suppose I coud do my own fitting of parts, since I live on a farm and am no dummy when it comes to steel work and working with tools and such.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:12 AM

Hello. It's my understanding that slide-to-frame fit does not greatly affect accuracy. Bbl-to-slide fit is considerably more important.

Best.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:55 AM

Ok, yeah it seems to be getting more and more acurate as I shoot it, maby it is me but probably because it is breakind in, but still using chinese ammo though, I will use up that federal match after I put about 100rds of winchester white box, than after that and the federal match, I will be putting 1000rds of 200grain swc through it. Boy one can reload pistol ammo cheap compared to rifle, it is the powder and bullets that cost so much in rifle.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:44 PM

yet another proud owner of a norinco. had mone for 8 years and have put between 50,000 to 100,000 rounds throught it. had the factory barrel for almost 6 years before i put a bulge in it. not many standard parts left in it anymore. just frame, slide, mainspring housing and slide releaese.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:36 PM

Thats allot of rounds, I am wondering wether to polish the frame or let it do it on its own? This gun seems to point verry naturaly for me as I don't have to find the sight when I bring it to aim, they are alreay linde up with the target, I want to put some rubber finger groove grips on it, but am worried that it may change the fit for the worse?
Old 10-13-2002, 06:38 PM

as fas as poliching the parts of the gun...you can or just fire a few thousand rounds without striping the gun and cleaning the inside parts and then these just wear into each other and get polished but the dirt (??) in it. i wouldn't recomend this but i did it. when i first got mine no one in my pistol club fired them so they all told me to field strip and clean that way. when i finaly took it to a smith he said that all of the parts have poliched each other so i didn't hjave to pay him to do it.
grips,,,,i went to a wrap around pachymar after about 3 weeks be cause it lelt so much better, never tried finger groves. now i use a kings grip with build in mag well, it is good as i have big hands and it makes the grip almost like holding a para.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:30 PM

Ok, my gun had taken a turn for the worse, some how the acuracy whent from bad to good and then after about 200rds, bad again. I noticed that the barrel wants to push down at the muzzle, and the spring used to keep the loose bushing up, bun not no more, So what I did is put some JB weld on the outside of the bushing, let it dry, than fit it to the frame, now it is real tight, and the groups have not improved any

Now I am starting to think that it has to have something to do with the link or something??? Or it not locking up right? It will do a 4-5" 5shot group at 25yards, maby sometimes less with federal match ammo.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:40 PM

I picked up two Norinco 1911 (5") pistols about six months ago. They were both used, but only lightly. They looked great, and the $500 asking price (yes, that's $250 each) seemed too good to pass up. I got them both and gave one to my dad for his birthday. Both have turned out to be great shooters. I've never gotten as good a pistol for nearly the price.

I'm really glad I picked them up. They reminded me of just how much I missed shooting 1911's. Next on the list is an Ed Brown Kobra.