1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 PM

"Mexican shoestring" holster?

I'm sorry, that the term may be construed as not politically correct - but that is how I remember it being phrased and if I'm coy about it no one is going to know what I'm referencing.

Back in the 60's-80's when the gun rags were king, and Cooper, Keith, Jordan and Skelton were the role models, I vaguely remember references to the "Mexican shoestring" carry method. Must have been Skelton, he and Jordan were the Border Patrol writers and it doesn't sound like Jordan. You simply tie one end of a short shoestring to your 3 o'clock belt loop, and the other to the next one aft, leaving barely enough room for the slide and trigger guard of a 1911 to go through. Then you shove your 1911 down inside your jeans and through the loop, adjust the angle, and you're done. The tight cowboy-cut jeans keep the gun from rocking and the loop keeps it from sliding down into the seat of your britches. I'm guessing it works better with the Gov't sights than modern tall front sights, but I've carried a lot that way sans shoestring with ramped front sights and I think it would work.

Does anyone else remember it, and have you tried it?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 AM

Mexican carry also involves carrying in condition zero.

I prefer C&L in a good holster with a retaining strap (thumb break)
Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 AM

I think that might be Condition Stupid. I've never met any stupid Mexicans, although I don't doubt they have their fair share as do we.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 AM

The other way of doing this is to tie the string in a circle of the appropriate size and loop it over your belt and inside your pants. Same result but not one that I trust or favor. Nick
Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Not sure how those fine folks came to call it that. First reference I've read to that technique was attributed to the OSS back in WWII. Worked okay and a bootlace could be tossed aside or put in the pocket and would be a mere bootlace should the stormtroopers check one out.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I think that might be Condition Stupid. I've never met any stupid Mexicans, although I don't doubt they have their fair share as do we.
What is the difference between carrying a 1911 with the safety off and a plastic gun?

Both guns are cocked but you can't see the hammer is cocked on the plastic gun. The 1911 still has a grip safety and the (some) plastic gun(s) does not
Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM

The modern equivalent would be something like this: http://www.warriortalknews.com/2010/...t-holster.html

I don't think it is made for the 1911 though.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:00 AM
1911 Aficionado

I made a shoestring holster, and tried it for about five minutes with my Star PD. I tied loops in the ends of the string, to slip over the belt, as that would help keep it from slide around, though the single loop design would certainly be easier to make, and would be easier to rig. I have enough holsters that I don't think I'd leave the house using the string.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:39 PM

The biggest problems I have with the 4 o'clock sans-holster carry are (1) I sweat like a horse in our usually hot, damp weather, (2) with sights any taller than a U.S. G.I. model, I worry that the front sight would hang on the draw with an unneeded shoestring, and (3) although the gun seems to find a comfortable nesting place, that place on me causes the gun butt to stick out and print pretty obviously.

I'm talking about carrying just behind the point of the iliac crest (around 3:30 - 4:00 o'clock), not about sticking the pistol down the front of your pants. If it weren't for the printing problem, I'd probably carry that way a lot as it's extremely comfortable, the weight of the gun doesn't "lever" the belt outward, yet I stay aware that I'm carrying. The printing problem is unacceptable to me, though, and I'm a bit concerned that the extended ambi safety isn't protected from getting nudged off. The gun's still safe, but I'd rather that the thumb safety stays engaged while carrying. A thumb safety is one less thing for Mr. Murphy to use for his amusement.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Two things to keep in mind. During the time the OSS was operating, 99.9% of Gov't model pistols had the dinky original sights. No extended safeties were available. Hammer down on a loaded chamber would be the popular method of carry, especially with this rig.

OK, that is three things. I got carried away.

I have experimented with shoestring holsters. Never did learn to like one, and I am glad that I live in a time when good IWB holsters are readily available.