1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 AM

Lee Pro 1000 Setup

Greetings, everyone! Here's my writeup on how I setup my Lee Pro 1000. I just ask that you post only things relevant to setup and operation of the Lee Pro 1000. If you wish to voice your opinion on the use of another press/brand, start another thread. Let's get started! (For the record, all the pictures are clickable thumbnails so you can download it in whatever size you want.)

I mounted my press before starting everything else. If you can't figure that out, perhaps you shouldn't be reloading. Here's everything I got with my press, plus a few extras. We've got the case feeder tubes, collator, shell plate carrier, primer tray, 3 hole turret, case feeder, .45ACP carbide dies, Auto Disk and parts, case slider, z bar, and press.

To get the carrier in the press, put the action rod right in the middle of the carrier and angle it in.

Run the ram to the top of it's stroke, making sure the carrier is fully seated on the ram. Tighten down the bolt with a 3/16 allen key.

Once it's on, lubricate the action rod with oil or CLP and cycle the press 25-50 times. If your shell plate doesn't line up properly after lubricating and cycling the press, adjust this screw until the shell plate snaps into place plus 1/2 turn. NO MORE than 1/2 turn or you may have to repeat the whole process.

Attach the z-bar first to the press, then into the hole in the case slider. There are two holes in my case slider, use the hole closest to the center of the press. Also, this picture shows the "bend" in the large case feeder z-bar.

Put your sizing die in the front most hole of the turret. Run the ram all the way to the top of it's stroke and thread the die in until it touches the shell plate. Pull the ram back down, thread the die in 1/4-1/2 turn more and lock down the lock nut.

Here's all the parts for the Auto Disk Measure. One standard disk is shown as well as the micrometer charging bar I purchased.

Last edited by Tonimus; 08-30-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 AM

Here's the Auto Disk measure assembled next to the powder-through expanding die. You have to take the top off of the die to thread the Auto Disk measure into it.

The powder/expanding die goes in the right rear hole. You want to make sure the actuating arm of the Auto Disk measure is to the rear of the press. Once you get the amount of flare adjusted, lock down the lock ring. Make sure that the powder die DOES NOT touch the shell carrier, or you can torque the carrier, cracking or damaging it.

Here's a picture of the Auto Disk measure return chain. I put the "bell" all the way at the bottom of the chain just in case I do break the chain, I should have enough chain left to just re-attach the "bell." (I say "bell" because I have no idea what the hell that lock piece is called!)

Run the chain up through the hole in the back of the shell carrier. Raise the ram 1/8 to 1/4 inch, run the chain through the rear hole in the Auto Disk measure, then trough the other hole. I put a half hitch in the chain JUST to take up some of the slack in the chain, not to hold it.

Run the ram all the way to the top of it's stroke. Place a case in the shell slider, put a dime on top of it, then adjust the case feeder so it JUST touches the dime. Use 2 9/16 open end wrenches to tighten down the case feeder.

Attach the feeder tubes, collator if you have one, and primer tray. Here's a picture of the completed press with all the tools used. A dime, #3 Phillips screwdriver, 2 9/16 open end wrenches, 3/16 allen key, and slip-joint pliers.

Last edited by Tonimus; 08-31-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 AM

Keep goin', Tonimus!!! You're doing fine...
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 AM

All done! If I missed anything obvious, I apologize.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 PM

Good job! I appreciate the thread.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM

Are these any good? I am debating this or the Loadmaster, any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM

How is that new mounting system from Lee working for you?
I'm thnking of buying one for myself, but I wasn't sure how solid it would be.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin.45acp View Post
Are these any good? I am debating this or the Loadmaster, any suggestions?

Thanks
If you have confidence in your ability they are great. You have to find the "Lee Rythm." The Pro 1000 operates really well at one speed or slower. If you try to go too fast, the components don't sync up right. I've already loaded 2000 rounds with it and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
How is that new mounting system from Lee working for you?
I'm thnking of buying one for myself, but I wasn't sure how solid it would be.
The new Lee Bench Plate works great. I like that it has 6 mounting holes so you can pick 4 of them that works for you. The front 3/4 inch of my desk is half the thickness compared to further back, so the extra holes works great to distribute the load to the stronger part of the desk.

Also the hold down works well, but the wood compresses slightly during use, so over time once it's done settling in, it should hold well. Right now I have to check the hold down screws about every 200 rounds to make sure the board isn't slipping. It's already moving less now than when I put it on. I'm really pleased that I don't have to use more desk space for my second press.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 AM

this is a great informative post. the directions are not very clear from lee. i had one of these when first started loading. needless to say i sold it quickly because i couldn't get it operating right. i just picked up 2 more though and they were set up one for 9mm and one for 45. i just had to do a little adjusting to the dies. they are tempermental but when they work, they work. i got the 2 presses 4 sets of dies, 700 primers, around 100 hornady bullets, a couple pounds of powder, a new cabelas 400 tumbler, thousands of pieces of brass and alot more misc stuff for 200 dollars. i bought it because i think i got a great deal. one of the presses was practically new.
*COTEP#0405*

Custom Shirts- http://hdtshirt.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home
Get your COTEP Shirts here- http://hdtshirt.com/shop/COTEP
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM

-Duplicated. I'm an idiot.

Last edited by Tonimus; 08-31-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Duplicated. I'm an idiot.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonimus View Post
If you have confidence in your ability they are great. You have to find the "Lee Rythm." The Pro 1000 operates really well at one speed or slower. If you try to go too fast, the components don't sync up right. I've already loaded 2000 rounds with it and I love it.
So, what do you think the round count is per hour? (Pro 1000)
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 PM

If I've got my stuff laid out properly and don't have any problems, I can ideally get at least 300. I'm not really fast, though. I don't have any extra equipment, like the bullet seater. I do have the case collator, which I think is indispensable.

On my .45 press, I can easily hit the 300. On my .40, since it's a bit quirky, it's like 200 or 250.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 PM

i started reloading on a pro 1000 then thought the loadmaster was the next logical step so i purchased 2.
the pro 1000 worked great with very little tinkering.the loadmasters on the other hand were more quirky the faster i tryed to go.they drove me nuts trying to get 400 rounds per hour.so i broke down and bought a 650.

the only regret i have is the loadmasters.i still have them but they are set up for low volume reloading(44mag and 450 bushmaster)
the dillon 650 cranks out 400 per hour of 45 on cruse control,i realize some will say this is not enough quality control but i have all the safety systems offered in place.

with the price difference the pro 1000 is a great press for the money.i would not tell anyone on a tight budget to pass one up
pete
nra life member cotep#85
Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin.45acp View Post
So, what do you think the round count is per hour? (Pro 1000)
Probably 300 an hour. Probably pull 400 an hour with a bullet feeder, but I like visually checking each case for powder.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Picked up a Pro 1000 a few weeks back from the Bargain Cave in the local Cabelas - cost me $120.

Initially had a bit of a problem trying to get the shell-plate to turn, but traced it to a busted plastic gear-bushing which I quickly replaced - I guess that's why the guy brought it back to Cabelas in the first place.

It's a little finicky to learn at first but it doesn't take long to see how everything is meant to work; it ain't no Dillon, but for the money I'm pretty pleased with it.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 PM

You left out the part where you use Gorilla glue to hold the wood knob on, I've done it on every Lee I've owned.
Retired - Iowa
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Good post! Five or six years ago my wife bought me one for my birthday. That thing has reloaded 1000s of 45 ACP, Colt, 357s, 38s, 40s and 10mms. Oh yeah, and a whole lot of 38 HBWC. I added the adjustable powder disc to it and I LOVE THIS PRESS. Every morning and I mean every morning I reload a box of 50 of something. I try to wear it out but it ain't happening! The Pro 1000 ia a winner.

Last edited by Droid; 04-04-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 PM

ok so this maybe taboo but how is this Lee 1000 on long gun loading has anyone done any with it ? ill mostly be putting out 45,40,44 but want the ability to do my 243 and 223 . thanks in advance for your input ..
Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 AM

With short casings it's ok. You can do 308 on it, but I've not done it myself. I prefer to use my single stage for that. I would think that you'd have to pay a lot more attention to the timing due to the cartridge length. Also, I'm a little wary of having to resize a 308 size casing with the way the shell plate carrier is attached to the ram. If you get a stuck casing, it'd be easy to damage the shell plate or the carrier. I plan on doing 223 once I get a rifle charging die, but I don't think I'll go any larger than that.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:21 AM

You can do rifle, just be prepared to go REAL slow.

I've done 30-06, but the shellplate starts to turn before the case is out of the die. Especially the seating die, because the bullet is now on top. It works, but you gotta go slow.

I get stuck cases occasionally, you just stop pulling the handle and you won't bust your carrier. Unscrew the nut in the center by turning the hex rod with a 1/4" open end wrench, then turn and lift the turret from the press with the shellplate hanging from the case until it drops loose. Then unscrew the die from the turret and remove the stuck case off the press.

Best to use the proper lubricant and be sure to lube INSIDE the case neck so the expander doesn't get stuck. Case lube: Imperial wax or Lee in the tube or Kiwi Camp Dry boot dressing (Imperial is Camp Dry in a smaller tin 1/6 the weight for twice the money).

Frankly, I make much better ammo so much more easily on the single stage. Much better control. Besides, you have to trim after full length sizing anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM

awesome info,

I just purchased a Lee Pro 1000 (45ACP) this past weekend.
looking forward to pressing some ammo this coming weekend
Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonimus View Post

The new Lee Bench Plate works great. I like that it has 6 mounting holes so you can pick 4 of them that works for you. The front 3/4 inch of my desk is half the thickness compared to further back, so the extra holes works great to distribute the load to the stronger part of the desk.

Also the hold down works well, but the wood compresses slightly during use, so over time once it's done settling in, it should hold well. Right now I have to check the hold down screws about every 200 rounds to make sure the board isn't slipping. It's already moving less now than when I put it on. I'm really pleased that I don't have to use more desk space for my second press.
Why are you using the wood? The wood is for presses that don't fit the standard Lee set up. Your press should bolt right into the metal pale show in the upper part of the photo and that is held down by the clips on the bench plate.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM

Hi, guys. It would be great for you to start a new thread with your questions.

This one started 2 1/2 years ago, and was resurrected once already. Let it be!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM

oops didn't notice
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM

I wish you luck I had 4 of them and finally after a few years of TWEEKING jams & spilled powder sold them and got 2 Dillon SDB's for my pistol rounds. Happy days are here again!!
They are OK for the money & wil crank out good ammo when they are working just a PITA IMHO, and I am not a new kid on the block-been reloading since early 50's