1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Remington

Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM

Remington R1 1911 = Update w/pic's

I added a Ed Brown trigger, C&S Light Sear spring and picked up a Chip McCormick 8 round magazine this past week (Midway USA).

The trigger & sear spring improved feel over the old set-up. I do not have a gauge to measure trigger pull/weight but it is a bit lighter.

The new magazine performed flawlessly and I will probably purchase more of the same soon. I followed enmerdeur's lead and added new grip screws.

Shown with a 686-6 s&w

Last edited by flgolfer29; 09-25-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 PM

i personally think the slotted grip screws look better but thats just me. nice shooter pal.
bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
Old 08-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Administrator

It looks a LOT better with that new trigger. The grips look nice as well, and I think the hex screws are just fine.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 AM

If hex screws get loose while in the field, they can be hard to tighten, or remove to try the weapon if it gets wet, slotted are the same size slot as the rim of the .45 ACP round.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Sweet upgrades.

That is a sexy looking 1911!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntotin_fool View Post
If hex screws get loose while in the field, they can be hard to tighten, or remove to try the weapon if it gets wet, slotted are the same size slot as the rim of the .45 ACP round.
A good point, and one that I'll keep in mind if I take a 1911 with me to the top of Kilimanjaro. However I rarely venture more than 100 miles from home and a set of proper tools is never far away.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
A good point, and one that I'll keep in mind if I take a 1911 with me to the top of Kilimanjaro. However I rarely venture more than 100 miles from home and a set of proper tools is never far away.
Same here, the pistol was bought to scratch that 1911 itch and I probably won't get caught in bad weather. That's good to know tho.

joe
Old 09-04-2010, 12:36 AM

Lookin good. I had to replace the bushing in mine, that SS thing was just butt-ugly IMO.

Also replaced the trigger in mine, the stock one was too short and squishy for my tastes. And the only other thing I added was an ambi-safety. Kind of a requirement for being a lefty and a 1911 owner. (BTW, the plunger pin has a mind of its own, in case you're interested. Likes to take flight when the pressure of the safety is removed from it. Darnedest thing I ever saw...)

One of these days when Remington starts selling the stuff they advertise on their website, I'll pick up a set of them cool Remington logo grips they're pushing there. Maybe a couple of the 8 rd mags, too.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 09-04-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman View Post
Lookin good. I had to replace the bushing in mine, that SS thing was just butt-ugly IMO.

Also replaced the trigger in mine, the stock one was too short and squishy for my tastes. And the only other thing I added was an ambi-safety.
Let's see some photo's!

joe
Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgolfer29 View Post
Let's see some photo's!

joe
think we need to start a R1 pic thread
Old 09-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
think we need to start a R1 pic thread
I"m in..

joe
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Here's a teaser, I'll drop the others over on the R1 pic thread...

NRA Endowment Member