1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Sword canes, are they legal? will your CCW cover it?

I have been searching and looking through the RCWs for my state. (WA) I am still unclear if sword canes are legal to walk around with. If they are considered a concealed weapon, will my CCW cover it? I would like to have one to walk with since having ACL replacement, a cane helps with walking.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Not that I've seen many, but the CCW's that I have seen all specify one particular firearm; and that means by make, model and serial number. It's not, to my understanding, a carte blanche to carry concealed weaponry but rather a license to carry A weapon in a concealed fashion.

Swords, knives and other edged weapons would fall under the jurisdiction of the state's knife and edged weapons laws.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=IMChuc9775;2821265] will my CCW cover it?

Highly unlikely. In Connecticut all edged weapons are limited to under four inches. Our permit is for Pistols and Revolvers.

CT used to offer a "Dangerous Weapons Permit" but that is no longer an option.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Average Moderator

Depends on the state; I have no familiarity with the Washington's laws.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM

In this day and age, swords are NOT politically correct. Most states disallow them, even in a cane. Unless you have a specific need for one, as in you're disabled and can't handle a gun, there probably is not much leeway for alternative weapons in your state code. You would have to check with your specific state to find out. And if anyone tells you they ARE OK, I would STILL check. My two cents only.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
Not that I've seen many, but the CCW's that I have seen all specify one particular firearm; and that means by make, model and serial number. It's not, to my understanding, a carte blanche to carry concealed weaponry but rather a license to carry A weapon in a concealed fashion.

Swords, knives and other edged weapons would fall under the jurisdiction of the state's knife and edged weapons laws.
Ok, figure out where that is so I can add it to my list of places I will NEVER move to. Our CCW permit simply limits it to handguns, but not a single specific one. That would suck.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Oklahoma CCW permits specify that if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. If you qualify with a semi-auto, you can carry a semi-auto OR a revolver. Which one is up to you, and there is no requirement for a SPECIFIC weapon, or serial number. But, NOTHING mentions a sword-cane. This would fall under the knife-carry laws, and a 24" blade is not legal for carry. You can own it, but, if you carried it and had to use it, you would probably run into legal problems. That said, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6! If you decide to carry it, do so at your own risk.

Last edited by justjed; 08-29-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:00 PM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
I hope it don't fall under the knife laws in WA LOL. When the cops pull knives from people in my office they usualy put it in their hand and if it goes past the officers palm they either don't let them get it back or charge them for it. I guess next time I run into one of the officers I will ask him or her about it.

Thanks all for your help
Old 08-29-2010, 06:00 PM

There was an interesting article about sword canes in the Wall Street Journal several months back. Mostly about folks that buy them not knowing they are sword canes and trying to get on airplanes with them. They are usually confiscated.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:14 PM

move to ky!

What weapons are covered under the CCDW license?

* Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
* Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
* Billy, nightstick, or club.
* Blackjack or slapjack.
* Nunchaku karate sticks.
* Shiriken or death star.
* Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotboy175 View Post
move to ky!

* Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
* Blackjack or slapjack.
KY is sounding nice right now LOL
Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 PM

no bearing on legality

Quote:
In this day and age, swords are NOT politically correct.
JustJed - if not being politically correct equals illegal - I'm in big, big trouble because I am nowhere near politically correct!

A sword cane obviously qualifies as a concealed weapon; some states are specific about what a concealed weapon is; some allow knives some don't. Checking your individual state's laws would help.

Here's a custom hand made sword cane; ebony wood and ivory. The plastic Harley Davidson cue ball handle has been replaced with an antique ivory cue ball:

Old 08-29-2010, 07:29 PM

How do you conceal a cane?

Joe
Old 08-29-2010, 07:49 PM

OK, Chief! I'm not politically correct, either. Maybe if I had said swords are frowned upon?
The point(pun intended) is that it doesn't matter where you live, the length of the blade is what gets you into trouble. Bowie knives and double edged blades(daggers) are illegal to carry in most places. A sword won't kill someone any deader than a gun, but most jurisdictions have some restriction on blade length, and swords of any kind are generally not legal for carry. Sword canes have one glaring disadvantage, they are mostly only useful in a stabbing role. Most law enforcement agencies consider stabbing to be a killing move, with little consideration given to defensive use. By carrying it, you intend to kill. Even if it WAS self defense, you will be liable for a weapons violation. But, I'd rather pay the fine and live to fight another day.
PS: SHARP piece, I like that!

Last edited by justjed; 08-29-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 PM

In the Commonwealth.

Concealed carry is for handguns only.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 PM

In the Commonwealth of Pa they are considered a Prohibited Offensive Weapon- First Degree Misdemeanor in a special category. Get convicted of one and you are now a felon for purposes of owning a firearm.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
That's California for you.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss60 View Post
In Arizona a sword cane concealed is perfectly legal with a ccw permit.

The only real way to know is to consult with the issuing agency for ccw permist for your state.

Based on an interview that I heard with the author, I think your question is answered in this recently released publication:
http://gunlaws.com/TravelersGunAndKnifeLawBook.htm
ah ha that looks like a good read, Thanks! I also saw a book of knife laws for the 50 states from the same people that I might get as well.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran View Post
That's California for you.
You want to hear what's funny about CA laws?

Like Horoscope said, CCW's do not apply to edged weapons. In CA, carrying a concealed knife is a felony, carrying a concealed handgun is a misdemeanor. But if you think that's funny get a load of this; carrying a sword cane is a felony, but carrying a sword (think big Scottish Claymore, basket-hilt rapier, etc.) is perfectly legal as long as it is not concealed....
This state rocks.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 08-30-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:38 AM

All states have some sort of illogic in their laws. When I first got my carry permit in Arizona, we were told we could conceal carry anything we could conceal, except nunchuks! While talking to a friend from Texas, I found out that Bowie knives were illegal there. Here in Florida, you don't need a conceal carry permit for 2 ounce OC, but you do for any larger container of OC.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Another reason for living in Kentucky!

Not that I actually carry nunchuks or shuriken, but I obviously can if I want to.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 AM

I live in Alabama, and I'll answer the second question first: Out permits are for pistols only, so a sword can would not be covered.

As for the first question, in Alabama it is illegal to conceal a "Bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description". Make of that what you will. As for me, I'll be wearing my knife in a sheath on my hip, and won't be caught foolin' around with no 'sword cane'.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotboy175 View Post
move to ky!

* Blackjack or slapjack.
Words simply cannot describe how AWESOME that is.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 AM

In washington state you get a CPL concealed pistol license that gives you the right to carry a concealed pistol, Im not 100% sure but I would guess that it would be illegal to carry the sword cane
Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patientz3ro View Post
Words simply cannot describe how AWESOME that is.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Thank you! still laughing