1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 AM

Upgrades to R1?

I have the new Remington 1911 R1. I am seriously thinking about adding several Ed Brown replacement parts such as the trigger, hammer and all associated parts, springs, and grip safety. Maybe Wilson parts. I've used EB before and had no problems.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I have no reason except I want a few better quality parts. SRM
Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 AM

I added a blued "drop in" bushing from Brown. Just because I couldn't stand the look of the SS one. Added a long solid trigger, too. Good to go, now. Everything else seems fine to me.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiverMan View Post
I have the new Remington 1911 R1. I am seriously thinking about adding several Ed Brown replacement parts such as the trigger, hammer and all associated parts, springs, and grip safety. Maybe Wilson parts. I've used EB before and had no problems.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I have no reason except I want a few better quality parts. SRM
Nothing "wrong" with it, as it's your pistol and you can do with it as you please. But every time I see these kinds of threads where somebody buys a new 1911 then goes and replaces everything inside I have to wonder if they chose the right pistol to begin with.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Nothing "wrong" with it, as it's your pistol and you can do with it as you please. But every time I see these kinds of threads where somebody buys a new 1911 then goes and replaces everything inside I have to wonder if they chose the right pistol to begin with.
+1 to what dsk posted, along with why fix something that doesn't need fixing..............

Clyde
Old 08-05-2010, 05:09 PM

I totally agree with the above posts. Get some trigger time before you start swapping parts. After about 200 rounds I was pretty much sure the trigger had to go. Too short for my liking. So I replaced it with a Wilson

The only other thing I have done is clean up the stock hammer/sear engagement, put in a Wilson recoil spring and replaced the grip screws with Torx style (the only Bling! change).

It is a pretty nice running gun right out of the box. Only make changes to better fit you or change the look to what you prefer. Like the post above where he changed the barrel bushing. Personally I don't mind the SS bushing but it drives others nuts.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 PM

Remington R1

The R1 is a good pistol right out of the green box, IMO. Put some ammo downrange and get a feel for the gun. I think a longer trigger is in my future. cant really find anything else wrong with mine so far. Be safe - have fun.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 AM

While I tend to agree with you, the safety digs into my hand, the trigger wiggles and there are parts associated with both of those. I am not talking about replacing everything to make a custom gun.

The hammer is no big deal to me. I just figured while I had it broke down I might as well replace the stock hammer with marks on the side.

Thanks for the advice. SRM

EDIT- and I will keep all the old parts for the purists among us.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 PM

I put 100 rds through mine to 'feel' her out. Two common complaints I read about and experienced was the trigger and the bushing. Too short and the pull was atrocious on the one hand and stuck out like a sore thumb on the other.

The other issue I have is that being a lefty, it's next to impossible to manipulate the controls without becoming a contortionist. So, the manual safety had to go.

One thing that surprised me was the tang. I've never been able to shoot a standard tang-configured 1911 without loosing some blood and little bit of skin in the web of my hand. No tissue damage with this one, so no change to the factory configuration.

Everything done can be reversed. I've still got the stock fire control parts as well as the bushing. I'm a firm believer in changing as little as possible to meet my comfort level. I see no problem at all with making some minor modifications to non-collector pieces.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 PM

Before going to the range with any gun, I change to rubber grips. All I care about is shootability and I haven't found any stock grip that helps shootability. Pachmyr grips with a tire tube stretched over to cover the backstrap gives maximum grip with no slippage. Did the same with my R1 and couldn't be happier.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Administrator

You must have gorilla-sized hands.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmerdeur View Post
I totally agree with the above posts. Get some trigger time before you start swapping parts. After about 200 rounds I was pretty much sure the trigger had to go. Too short for my liking. So I replaced it with a Wilson

The only other thing I have done is clean up the stock hammer/sear engagement, put in a Wilson recoil spring and replaced the grip screws with Torx style (the only Bling! change).

It is a pretty nice running gun right out of the box. Only make changes to better fit you or change the look to what you prefer. Like the post above where he changed the barrel bushing. Personally I don't mind the SS bushing but it drives others nuts.
LOL, I've been shooting the 1911 platform for 40 years, and I'm an old fan of the short trigger, it's one of the modifications done to every single 1911 I own, with the sole exception of the WWI AND WWII models.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Hi all.
I just got my new Remington R1 this passed week and have not been to the range with It yet, I'm not going to change any of my parts. I think that the pistol Is just fine the way I got It! The trigger has a little creap to It?

I only have one more handgun on back order, A new Kel Tek PRM 30 In 22Mag. If they ever get It out and on the market???
I wrote to them two times, the first time they said It would be out In June, and the second time they said It would be comming out In July, I have stopped writing them, I did forget to ask them what year???
Than that's It for me, no more guns!!!

Anyone know of anybody that sells Hogue rubber finger grove grips at a good price, I have to stock up?

Semper Fi all. Hank.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
You're not going with an ambi safety?
Sorry I didn't clarify that, but yes. Got a Wilson setup going in.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 08-07-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank D. View Post
Than that's It for me, no more guns!!!
Yeah right...these things are worse than crack.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Hi all.
Did I say, no more guns? What I ment to say was, I don't think I will buy any more guns

Semper Fi all. Hank.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 AM

Yeah, Hank. I've said that a couple of times. Face it, guns is what we do.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
You must have gorilla-sized hands.
No...actually on the smaller thinner side. I do like a hand filling grip though.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Are the R1 frames cut higher above the trigger area? All the pictures I've seen show the slide stop nearly dipping below the flat portion of the fram above the trigger area. My Colt's still have some "frame flat" material visible below the bottom edge of the slide stop. Probably no big deal...just an observation.