1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 PM

Colt Defender Guide Rod Failure

My friend has a 2 month old Colt Defender. One factory magazine has given him double feeds with almost every load. The other factory magazine pushed the round up out of the ejection port and jammed. What caused that? That is attachment photo 3.

Lastly, when he went to place a fresh magazine and rack the slide, the slide had a lot of resistance. With the assistance of the Rangemaster at the range, we discovered a broken guide rod and bent spring. Photo 1 and 2. Is this a common occurrence for a double spring guide rod? Is this common or expected in a Colt 1911? I would think No on both accounts.

Since my friend bought the gun new, does he have the option to just get store credit since the gun failed him (rather than wait for the factory to 'fix' it)?
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.jpg   photo 2-1.jpg   jam photo.jpg  
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
...Since my friend bought the gun new, does he have the option to just get store credit since the gun failed him (rather than wait for the factory to 'fix' it)?
I am sure Colt will fix it but as for "store credit", I would guess that would be up to the store that sold it. I have never heard of Colt giving anyone "store credit".
Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 PM

Thanks. I don't expect Colt to give a credit. I was wondering if the store would. What kind of jam occurred? It was the last round to be fired from a magazine.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 PM
1911 Aficionado

When a round "gets away from" the magazine like that, I'd associate it with weak mag springs. It could be that some degenerative issue with the guide rod was contributing to the feed issue.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:33 AM

I know in my Defender which dates from 2003 the larger spring had a finished flat end and and unfinished end. The unfinished end was supposed to go to the front of the gun and the flat end towards the back. In the pictures it looks like Colt may be finishing both ends so the large spring could go in either way now. It looks like the spring package failed, and to me that would be an issue. It depends on the store you bought it from. They may refund your money but probably not.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:50 AM

That gun may have been a "recalled" gun. Colt had a recall for the Defender/New Agent and other pistols for a bad recoil spring assembly. If your serial # falls between thes two numbers; Defender (O7000D) From: DR33036 To: DR35948 then your gun was recalled.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 AM

Yeah, looks like the recall thing. My new agent did something similar. I think it has to do with the guide rod spring. The ends are not "equal". I think the recall makes them equal. Could be wrong, in any case have them call Colt.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 AM

The Defender recall covered defective Recoil Spring Guide Pads, the part below and to the left of the mangled retaining clip in the second photo, not any of the springs.

Owners of Defender pistols under recall could request a replacement spring assembly from Colt via mail so they wouldn't have to return the gun. This also eliminated the requirement to disassemble things to replace just the defective part. If one looks closely at the Recoil Spring Guide Pad on post recoil pistols, or on assemblies provided by Colt to satisfy the recall, there is a small dimple impressed on them. From the pictures provided by the OP, it appears that his part has the dimple and is either a post recall pistol or has had the recoil spring assembly replaced by Colt.

The business with "closed end" and "open end" springs involved the outer, larger diameter spring, the one users can manipulate as a separate item, not the smaller inner spring. Outer springs shipping from Colt recently have both ends closed, so they can't be put back incorrectly anymore.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks for that clarification.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 AM

Have your friend call Colt and tell them what happened. I would guess Colt would send your friend replacement parts.

He can also discuss the feeding problems at the same time.

Ken