1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 AM

plunger tube

Hi,

The plunger tube on my 1911 GCT was broken.....
I went to the local gunsmith and he suggested a thumb-shield from Pachmayer.
My question to you is... what are the advantages of such a thumbshield?
I know that you can lay your dumb on it and it's more comfortable.
But are there anymore advantages?

Grz.
P
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01516.jpg  

Last edited by Saxion; 07-29-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 AM

It looks like the biggest advantage is your 'smith had one to sell and install. I don't know why you would need one on a pistol not used for competition. Nice looking installation but the practical value of such an add on escapes me. Nick
Old 07-29-2010, 10:57 AM

Shield for people that rest their thumb on the safety while firing. It also looks like it makes it harder to rack the slide by the grooves.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:36 PM

No, actually it makes it almost impossible to rack the slide using the rear serrations. I am not certain on the Pach thumb guard tube but a lot of these devices are screwed into the frame instead of being staked. Not a bad thing. Does your smith want big bucks to install this?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I am not certain on the Pach thumb guard tube but a lot of these devices are screwed into the frame instead of being staked. Not a bad thing. Does your smith want big bucks to install this?
Yes it is screwed on the frame, and no it was a free repair! I have ordered an original plunger tube for the GTC. I am considering putting the original part back in.... I don't know, what do you guys think?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Last edited by aric; 03-27-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM

I don't see a need for it; especially if it is going to interfere with racking the slide in any way. I'm thinking in terms of being in the deep doody, scared silly, and having to tap, rack, bang your way out of a jam and the furshluggner gizmo gets in the way.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Unless you like a really high hold on the pistol and like to let your thumb ride up high on the safety, then this is a useless modification. It's not very attractive either, with the large Packmayr billboard on it. I would have a normal plunger tube installed, but then again my preferences lean towards stock and unmodified pistols.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 PM

I would not want one. Standard plunger tube only for me.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Now you have a Colt/Pachmayr hybrid. He he...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:19 PM

I don't see a real point in having something like that. When I keep my thumb on the safety, I'm not worried about my thumb hitting the side of the slide, I'm worried about the back of the slide hitting me. More like the back corner.

Either way, I think you should get rid of it. Looks ugly, and really looks like it interferes with the slide serrations too much.

edit- although it does look quite comfortable for a high thumb hold...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Well at least you don't have to worry about it coming "unstaked". I never really saw the need for the thumb shield, my thumb touches the slide (lightly) and has never caused a problem yet. Most of the guys that used these in the early days of IPSC were also using scoped guns which required a "slide racker" handle that was mounted in the empty rear sight dovetail. You can always grasp the slide just forward of the ejection port and rack it. Thumb shields are kind of a "race gun" thing. It is useful with a really high hold.

Last edited by drail; 07-29-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 AM

Another vote for a normal plunger tube and be sure it is well installed.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 PM

Seriously now, and this is my only concern. The gun belongs to you, and now it's fixed. Do you really want to have that plunger tube ripped out again?

If it's primarily a target gun and it doesn't bother you then I'd just leave it alone. It's just that too many things can happen when you leave your gun at the 'smith. However, if it starts to loosen up in the next couple of years, then I would take the opportunity to have a standard PT installed. At that point, choose a good quality PT with longer legs like Brown or the like.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Freeman View Post
Seriously now, and this is my only concern. The gun belongs to you, and now it's fixed. Do you really want to have that plunger tube ripped out again?

If it's primarily a target gun and it doesn't bother you then I'd just leave it alone. It's just that too many things can happen when you leave your gun at the 'smith. However, if it starts to loosen up in the next couple of years, then I would take the opportunity to have a standard PT installed. At that point, choose a good quality PT with longer legs like Brown or the like.
I 've ordered a orignal PT from Wilson Combat, if I decide to sell the gun in the future, I can sell it with the original parts then.
For now I leave that Pachmayr billbord on it... It is screwed on the frame so it won't go wrong again...

I thank you all for your support