1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Milspec ejectors are they pinned?

Are the ejectors on the springfield milspec(not the GI model) pinned into the frame?

I recall that on the lower end guns that springfield used to locktite these in,is this still the case?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Some are, some aren't, really a luck of the draw from what I have seen, not a big deal either way, the ejectors that are Loc-tited in don't seem to be anymore prone to coming loose than those that are pinned in.

BTW, it's not just the "lower end" guns, Springfield has also used the Loc-tite method of securing the ejector to the frame on some of the TRP and Operator models.

1911-Because when you run out of ammo, steel leaves a more lasting impression on a bad guy's forehead than plastic!!!

Last edited by Jack1911; 07-25-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 PM

i think most Imbel frames are pinned.....NM frame(USA) frame glued.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:20 PM

My Imbel Mil-Spec is pinned. My Illinois SA 1911s are glued (Loctite, I guess). My SA Pro is pinned.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
That sounds right, thanks for the heads up, as I was kind of curious myself.

1911-Because when you run out of ammo, steel leaves a more lasting impression on a bad guy's forehead than plastic!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1911 View Post
That sounds right, thanks for the heads up, as I was kind of curious myself.
My NM is not pinned. Many thousands of rounds in IDPA and USPSA and it has not moved.

Last edited by DRAGON1970; 07-25-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON1970 View Post
My NM is not pinned. Many thousands of rounds in IDPA and USPSA and it has not moved.
My Mil Spec is not pinned either, and it's held on pretty good through the first 1500 rounds, it's a bit misleading when people call Loctite glue, because it is definitely a lot stronger than that Elmer's stuff that we used in elementary school.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 AM

I will second that at least my NM frame is not pinned but is glued.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
All Springer frames come from Imbel.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDorle View Post
All Springer frames come from Imbel.
True, however they are not all finished in Brazil. Typically the NM framed guns are completed here in the U.S.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 PM

My IMBEL(Brazilian) Mil Spec ejector is pinned. I had a NM model up until recently and traded it off for something I wanted far more. The NM ejector was glued in, as was the plunger tube...worth noting.

Honestly, the IMBEL models seem to be built more correctly/traditional in my opinion. The only thing lacking compared to the NM's is the finish. The finish was much nicer/cleaner on my NM when compared to the IMBEL. But I'd rather have a 1911 that's built correctly vs. one that's "pretty."

All that' said, I sunk more money into my IMBEL in building it up by virtue of the fact all the parts than should be pinned or staked were done so and done correctly. Saved me the trouble of having to do it with the NM. Despite the fact the NM's are finished stateside, there's really no advantage to them in my opinion since it appears they cut corners by merely gluing some parts in. Would it really cost them anymore to correctly install the parts? They come that way from IMBEL, so I don't see why they couldn't do it here too.

If I were to buy another Springer...honestly I'd rather have one from IMBEL knowing what I know now when compared to the NM's. Yeah, sometimes the glued parts hold, but I've heard of too many that don't. I'd rather have the pins...that's me though.

Last edited by Magus; 07-26-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Despite the fact the NM's are finished stateside, there's really no advantage to them in my opinion since it appears they cut corners by merely gluing some parts in.
They glue the ejector because many of the ejector pins in the "N" serialed guns actually go through into the disconnector tunnel in the frame. So I think Springfield in the USA decided against pinning the ejector in favor of gluing. The only guns that have the ejectors pinned in the US are the Custom Shop models.

Yes, I would prefer to have the ejector pinned, however, if the pin goes through the disco hole in the frame, then that's even worse.

IMO I don't Springfield cut corners on their "American assembled" pistols. In fact, my observation is that usually the quality is better in the US made pistol (in general only).