1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 PM

2 gun carry

I'm looking for the best way to carry two guns. Holster type, locations and any other info would be helpful.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM

one on the waist and one on your ankle.
Springfield Armory Loaded 45acp
Rock Island Armory GI 45acp
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Double shoulder rig
Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 PM

My BUG is on my ankle the majority of the time. When wearing shorts on weekends and such it moves to my weakside front pocket.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:31 PM

Waaaay too complicated a question for a simple answer.

Some, for concealed carry, like the larger primary in a strong-side inside -waistband holster and the smaller back-up gun in a weak-side pocket holster.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Depends on what you're doing. Revolvers? Autos? A duty rig with hideout? Two guns in uniform and and a 3rd as back-up (LAPD preferred carry in the 70's and 80's with revolvers)? An entry team? Inquiring want to know why you're needing two guns.
Bob
Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM

Wilson Combat CQB in front of right hip in a sparks vsmII and a Brown Special Forces carryin front of left hip and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special behind my back in a Law Concealment holster.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:01 AM

I like one in the front pocket, always; and one at 4 o'clock in a holster. The holster gun gets put on the seat under a towel while driving. Never leave the gun in the car, it will eventually get stolen.

If you can't shoot faster than the other guy, make damn sure that you shoot straighter. Chick Gaylord
Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 AM

if I did...

it would depend on what the situation is:

at work the second one would be velcroed into my vest along with a fixed blade knife; in civvies - strong side hip and support side front trousers/shorts pocket. One of many 1911s and my Sig P238, Walther PPK, Colt Cobra...or other small gun.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 AM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
I do a Galco Belly band with a 2" revolver that rides under my armpit and whatever 1911 I choose for the day.

for winter I have a couple of jackets that have holsters built into them. 5.11 and Sig coats are great for this
Old 07-25-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblaster View Post
I'm looking for the best way to carry two guns. Holster type, locations and any other info would be helpful.
My two gun set-up is a Glock 19, in IWB with a "Don Hume" holster and a "Snubbie" hidden in my "Fruit of the Loom" holster.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 AM

What 2 guns? What is your mission? In what environment are you working? Without some knowledge of what you are trying to accomplish, it's impossible to give you a meaningful answer to your question, unless your real question is, "Will you satisfy my curiosity and tell me how you would carry 2 guns?"
Old 07-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Good assessment Tim B. I agree.
Mall ninja?

Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 AM

If you're talking about concealed carry, be advised that many states prohibit the carrying of more than one firearm concealed.

If you're talking about duty carry, this needs to be in the LEO forum.

If you're a rent-a-cop and your current assignment makes you feel the need for several guns, you should probably rethink your chosen profession.

If you're just being lazy and wanting us to do your thinking for you, you should probably be prepared to flamed pretty hard until you explain yourself.
Colt Factory Armorer
CLEET Firearms Instructor
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM

I either carry my primary carry weapon, the Kimber Raptor-Metaloyed in either a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder system or Masters leather IWB, and my BUG of either a Colt Officers or Kimber Ultra Raptor in an ankle holster.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 AM

Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirfu Painter View Post
Afraid I'd feel undergunned with that rig-no backup mags for the Glock.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM

I would go with the standard 2 double barrel coach guns in back scabbards.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.-G. Washington
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM

2 gun carry

I am starting job as LEO in SE Florida. On duty will be carrying duty weapon(on gun belt) and back up(?). Would like to carry two off duty sometimes. Duty weapons are the 40 series Glocks. Want to carry my 1911's off duty. hope this helps thanks for all the advice so far.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM

best of luck to you in your new assignment, for the duty weapon/primary cc weapon i would stick to a belt holster iwb/owb your preference, with a back up either weak side pocket or ankle holster, depending what your back up piece is the ankle holster may be more comfortable riding in a cruiser i would think

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Some thoughts

Sandblaster,

Over the past year or so, I have experimented with various main and BUG carry combinations. I am 5' 8"; 145 lbs. Criteria for me was:

1. Main was a 1911, full grip length and @3 o'clock.
2. A significant BUG (preferable a revolver) somewhere else.

I considered several small pistols, but never felt any outweighed the benefits to me of a revolver. (I beleive that a BUG is also a buddy gun. If you hand a revolver to any of your unarmed-but-shooter friends if backed into a corner, they will all immediately know how to run the revolver w/o questions or doubts.)

While doing this, I tried a 1911 in a friends shoulder holster (Miami Classic.) I went with an SH from Andrews for a 1911 for "cantability" reasons on my body. With two spare mags horizontal (this helps diminish the vertical room they take up) on the right, under my arm, there still isn't enough room for a totally clear presentation from the 3 o'clock position. With only one spare on the right, there would be room. SO --> for me, the concept of a significant (non j frame) Bug location was the shoulder holster, but with one row of speed loader/moon clip holders on the right so I could clear the path for the 1911's presentation from a high ride OWB @ 3 (or from an IWB @ 3).

I will be going with an Andrews leather SH for a Model 25-15 in 45 acp, with two of his moon clip pouches on the right. The total package gives me 18 rounds of 45 for the revolver and 1911 +1 and spare mags' count @ 8:30 on my belt.

No. The moon clips and mag ammo can't be intechanged during a conflict. For that I would have to use two same cartridge and grip size 1911's, but heck, I sure hope I can settle matters with either and no reloads. These locations and weapons, and ammo and such all conceal very well under a lose, long tails cover shirt on hot days (I'm familiar with Florida wx), and about any other clothing combination I have tried. ANd both weapons are accessed easily.

While this input to you might not fit your clothing requirements, it might help illustrate one way to go and provide a feel for what will fit where. I tried several combinations before coming to this solution. YMMV. I decline to carry other than a 1911 format and or a revolver because of the different locations of controls, trigger differences, and my buddy gun concept. However, I do recognize the great combinations available with same pistol, different sizes if you go Glock, XD, or 2 1911's, etc. Were I to carry two 1911's I would recommend the same grip size, hance mag size, for both. A good friend and LEO carries a double SH w/ two 1911s in 45. Andrews even makes one of these with a space for a spare mag under each holster.

There are other locations that may work for you.

Normally, I have the 1911 @ 3 and a hammerless j frame in a left side pocket.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirfu Painter View Post
LOLOL, Boy that does bring back memories. I have an exact similar setup, except it's designed for my matching pair of Micro Uzi's.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Quote:
I am starting job as LEO in SE Florida. On duty will be carrying duty weapon(on gun belt) and back up(?). Would like to carry two off duty sometimes. Duty weapons are the 40 series Glocks. Want to carry my 1911's off duty. hope this helps thanks for all the advice so far.
Good luck sir and be safe.

I just want to say to those that popped tude on the new member...open mouth insert foot.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:35 PM

Two gun carry

Good luck on your new profession. one of my good buds is a retired LEO who always carrys two, and he don't carry small ones either. usually a full size 1911 and a bulldog 44 both inside the waist, and this fellow is not that big. choose your holsters wisely, Sam Andrews makes some of the best, he just takes a while, he will put LEO's at the head of the list, right behind Servicemen going overseas.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
What is the most useful for you?

No one else knows your dress habits, what kind of physical activity you do, what your reasoning for carrying two pistols is, etc.

Define why you want to carry two pistols, what those two pistols are...what your concerns and restrictions are for carry...and I think you'll probably answer your own question.