1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 07-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Argentine Hi Power

I picked this up at a pawn shop today. It was made in Argentina by FM (I presume), imported by Armscorp. The only non-import markings on it are the serial numbers and "F.N. Browning" on the slide. From what I gather, this was made when FM was operating under license and supervision from FN.

It doesn't appear to have been shot much, if at all. Internally, very little of the paint/epoxy finish is worn. Slide to frame, and barrel to slide fits are very tight. It actually has a pretty decent trigger pull, better than I recall my Browning version having prior to gunsmithing. The magazine doesn't have much of a wear spot from the mag disconnect either.

This is probably going to be a "truck gun", where it won't be a major financial loss if stolen. For what the pawn shop charged, it's almost a no-lose situation.

In a little brighter lighting:

Last edited by deercop; 07-23-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Nice "truck" gun. You must have got a real deal on it. My truck gun is a "retired" Israeli SigSauer 9mm - same theory.

If you shoot this FM much you might decide to bump it up from "truck" gun!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

What you have there is what one fellow who seems to be very fm in the know refers to as a sterile fm. The reason for the sterile designation is because they did not say fm or Argentina on them until they got a required import mark to come into this country. According to the fellow, they were made after the falklands war but before the license agreement expired. One just sold on gb for about 550 represented as a browning. It did not show the import marks anywhere. Just fn browning. I have been looking for one for about a year and a set of those plastic grips without the lanyard ring relief for about as long. Nice find!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Nice find. Almost too nice to be a truck gun.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 PM

I've had 2 FM Hi Powers in the past. Both were good guns, bought for around $250 at a couple of gun stores I used to haunt in Idaho. Sadly, I sold off both of them. Good shooters, but I always thought the finishes were almost an afterthought. Either enameled or parked, one I had seemed to be just painted black!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Nice FM-made in 1987.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 PM

WAY too nice for a truck gun!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp35fn View Post
Nice FM-made in 1987.
Am I correct in my assumption that my FM is relatively equal quality-wise to a FN stamped gun? Obviously the finish is "military grade" on mine, but otherwise?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 PM

nice truck gun
Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Price? Thanks.

Its a beaut!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 PM

There is no definitive answer to the question why the Argentineans droped the three line marking and started to mark the HP pistols with the F.N. BROWNING mark. Some collectors claim that after the licensing agreement expired the Argentineans did not feel that there had to (or could not) make reference to the FN license. Other collectors claim that the FN BROWNING marking was used to make these pistols more appealing in the export market, and maybe hiding their origin. Regardless the markings, the Argentinean made HP pistols are easy to identify as such because of the serial numbering used and the fact that the frames are marked on the right side of the trigger guard with an Argentine proof mark. Both of these features can be seen in the pictures posted by deercop.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 AM

The FM "F.N. BROWNING" sterile Hi Powers came out after the Argentine disaster in the 1982 Malvinas/Falklands conflict, while FM was still making Hi Powers under FN license. These pistols carried the serial number on the fame, slide and barrel in the standard FM/FN fashion, and a single standard FM proof mark on the frame, slide and barrel. Unlike earlier FM Hi Powers, the export 07- military/police contract code was not used and a number only serial number was used. They DID hide the origins of the pistol, as it was not marked on the weapon, only a "F.N. BROWNING" legend-during the time when the FN license was still in effect.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 PM

Does anybody know the serial number that was used to mark the first BHP made in Argentina? I know that the first Sistema Colt pistol made there had serial number 24001 and I have always wondered if the fist BHP made in Rosario was marked with serial number 00001 or other number.