1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Ambi safety for P238

Any lefties out there using any of the aftermarket safeties for the P238? Just wondering if any are available yet and what people thought of them. I have seen one advertised. Being a lefty my self, I would really like to get one.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 PM

I've never seen one, but would also be interested.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM
1911 Aficionado

There's a company called something like "custom creashunz", or similarly non-descriptive, making them. Do some googling, as I think that's how I found them.
Edit: http://www.customizedcreationz.com/
Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Looks like you have to send them your gun for fitting?

Fuggeddaboudit.

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member."
-- Groucho Marx
Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM

I have one of these already on order, as being in my "right-mind" by nature, I find an ambi safety a real plus.
Todd is a SIG factory armour, so I have no problem sending my SAS up to him later this month. I can and do use a "normal" safety on my S&W 1911, but that's how I was trained way back in '68-69, as the US Army just couldn't seem to find me an ambi safety for a 1911A1 back in that jungle. Now, this Sig 238 I love, I just cannot sweep the safety off with my index finger like I can with a 1911, as it's just to stiff, which is really good IMO for safety while carrying it in condition 1 in my pocket.
For me, I'm very glad there are folks like Todd out there doing mods to these great little shooters for us "Lefties" BTW ! I can start using a thumb instead of using my off hand to sweep the safety off.
If you place an order before he starts taking in those of us who have already placed orders, there is a nice discount, and his grips are really good looking also.
He seems to be filling a need that is out there for us left hand folks, and the real shame, once again, is the factory not doing itself. While the factory would have done another MIM part, and Todd's creation is going to be all steel done on a CNC machine. To me, a much better solution, and not at all a bad price. Only drawback is the shipping part, but then again, I'm just not ready to go into the inside of my SIG anyway unless I have to.
Just my $2.98's worth. ( 2 cents just ain't worth nothing now days) BTW, direct link : http://www.customizedcreationz.com/p...pdatepage.html

If "an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure" how much prevention is my Sig P238 that weighs 16oz. with 7 rds., Worth ?

Last edited by fotog; 07-21-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Thanks for all of the info!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Good info.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:59 PM

The CustomizedCreations safety looks quite nice. But is this the only option? I can't believe no one else is making one. I'm shopping for my Dad for this and boy did his heart sink when I told him he'd have to pay $800 for his $600 gun. It sure must suck to be a lefty.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifglock View Post
The CustomizedCreations safety looks quite nice. But is this the only option? I can't believe no one else is making one. I'm shopping for my Dad for this and boy did his heart sink when I told him he'd have to pay $800 for his $600 gun. It sure must suck to be a lefty.
I have not found anything else. I am like your dad - I do not want to pay another $200 for this safety. It looks very nice and I am sure it will be a good part. I keep hoping that someone else will make one.

Last edited by theheadbud; 08-17-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the plug guys.

I am making the P238 safety from solid steel, not MIM like the factory remaining parts are. We also manufacture triggers and guide rods for the P238 , along with action reliability services.

The P238 is a great gun with lots of potential. Some just need a little more love then others.

The Ambi Safety reason for sending in the first batch is to ensure that the tolerances we see in the guns we have had here, work well with out safety.

Right now we are finishing the first production run and installation.

Those that got in on the preorder prepay got discounts on the lever and grips.

I inhouse machine these myself. There is no out of country cheap quality here. These were designed, and machined by myself. We could have cheaped out and done a investment cast ( MIM ) , but decided we wanted to offer a better solid part.

Here is a quick picture and again thanks for the plugs guys !

Nickel Cobalt , Black Chrome and Copper platings, Cerakote Ceramic Refinishing , CNC Machine work and more....
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifglock View Post
Right now the factory has no intention on offering a left hand safety lever. And from the other players I ve talked to , no one else is stepping up.

So for now, nothing else is available. The original Colt Mustang Ambi C&S made , were selling for $150-175 for the last few I saw. And I haven't seen anymore in the last 6 months.....
Nickel Cobalt , Black Chrome and Copper platings, Cerakote Ceramic Refinishing , CNC Machine work and more....
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 PM

Folks,
I got mine back today, and although I haven't had a range session yet, the ambi safety is just fantastic IMHO. This thing is really built, and it works great for a lefty like myself. I agree with a previous post about sometimes it does suck to be a left handed person, but people like Todd that do step up to really solve a problem that maybe the factory could or should maybe have taken care of, I really am a happy dude today with not only this great new addition to the "safety" of my P238 SAS, but these burl grips are a great upgrade also.
On second thought, I might not like what the factory would do if they were to offer an ambi safety, because companies are run by bean counters now days, and a real machined part done a CNC would cost too much for the beaners, so they would have a MIM part done overseas, but charge like is was gold just the same. Again, MNSHO, so take it for what it's worth ( MNSHO = my not so humble opinion)
Todd, thanks from one grateful "lefty" handed person who values his life enough to spend a little more to make things operate in the best and safest possible manner in my weapon systems.

If "an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure" how much prevention is my Sig P238 that weighs 16oz. with 7 rds., Worth ?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
There's a company called something like "custom creashunz", or similarly non-descriptive, making them. Do some googling, as I think that's how I found them.
Edit: http://www.customizedcreationz.com/
Like Sig Sauer, they require you to send them your pistol. Sig's turn-around-time is about 2 weeks ($150) and CustomCreationz is about the same. They also want the pistol sent to them. Neither will just sell you the parts for a DIY install. They're afraid of liability and potential safety issues, as if none of us has ever stripped down a pistol and performed a function check before use. I don't want to send my pistol through the mail and have some unknown gunsmith working on (or screwing up) my baby. I trust me to do the work.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM
1911 Aficionado

Kimber was the same way with their new 1911 ambi safety, but they relented and started selling just the part. Maybe Cylinder & Slide will put theirs back into production, especially if it will fit the 238, 938, the new Mustang, and you can then buy that part.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 PM

This is an old thread that was recently revived. Things have changed in the 2 years since the original post. Sig introduced the P938 standard with an Ambi Safety, and it turns out the safety is interchangeable with the P239. I believe some P238's can now be had from the factory with Ambi Safeties.

I had the opposite issue; recently bought a new P938 and dislike Ambi Safeties. I called Sig, and their gunsmith confirmed that the Safety parts interchange with the P238, so I had them send me a single-side P238 Safety, along with the needed Hammer Pivot Pin.

Took 15 minutes to switch them out, and 10 minutes of that was finding good dis-assembly and re-assembly pictures on the internet.

I'm left with a new P238/P938 Ambi Safety and an extended Hammer Pivot Pin (extended with a flange to capture the left-side safety) which I will offer in the For Sale section as soon as I take a picture. PM me if you need it.

But don't ask if you have any qualms about dis-assembling your pistola. This is not a hard task, but neither is it for someone without tools, who has never done it before, and who is not comfortable with doing your own basic safety function checks.
COTEP #279, NRA Life Member
A few Dan Wessons and other pistols.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 PM

You are right, Sig does offer all the services they should have from the start.