1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM

Federal Champion Ammunition

Because of the ammunition shortage and resultant increase in price I recently purchased Federal Champion .45 and 9mm caliber cartridges at Wal-Mart. Although I never heard of “Champion” by Federal, I was familiar with Federal ammunition as I usually purchased Federal’s American Eagle brand ammunition. The ammunition was less than I was paying elsewhere and I purchased several boxes of each caliber. Here’s a picture of the package:

I shot a couple of boxes of the .45’s in my Les Baer Boss .45 and found that after about 75 rounds, a round jammed. I had to force the magazine out, because a round was caught between the top of the barrel and the top of the magazine. When I cleared out the round, which had a dent in the shell casing, I noticed that the ramp was filthy. I ran a bore snake through the gun and it was once again fine.

Later I spoke to someone who used to work for Federal and I asked him if he ever heard of Federal Champion Ammunition. He did and he explained that it was especially made for Wal-Mart and in order to be inexpensive, Federal used cheap gunpowder that was extremely dirty. I decided that I would use up what I had purchased and never buy Federal Champion cartridges again.

Has anyone had experience with this ammunition?

Last edited by Boss .45; 01-25-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

I've shot a couple hundred boxes over the past year. All bought at Walmart. I havent had any problems, and at $15.97, I find the price to be right. I dont have a Les Baer. Just a Kimber and Springer. I guess lesser quality guns can shoot lesser quality ammo with no ill effects. JMO

claire

I've seen the same ammo sold at a local range so I'm not too sure about the made for Walmart statement.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire View Post
I've seen the same ammo sold at a local range so I'm not too sure about the made for Walmart statement.
Methinks the whole "Made for Wal-Mart" bit is more along the lines of pice-point as opposed to actual retailers. A competitor for Winchester's White Box ammo I s'pose.

Then again, I am a man, and therefore most likely wrong

-Thomas Paine
Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM

I buy both the Fed 45 and 9mm and WWB 45 and 9mm from Walmart.
I don't have any problem w/them.
The Fed is cleaner than WWB and Rem.

Even much cleaner than Monarch from Academy Sport and the Silver Bear.

Of course I don't own a Les Baer either - just Kimber and Dan Wesson and some cheap plastic guns.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM

Well so it appears that Champion is available elsewhere and perhaps my contact is mistaken about it being sold only at Wal-Mart.

BTW I only mentioned the brand of 1911 to give additional information on the matter, not to show-off. I had two Kimbers; a Gold Match and an Ultra CDP II. They were very good and very reliable and I would recommend them to anyone who asked my opinion. I sold both of them as well as a couple of other guns and purchased a couple of other guns, one of which is the Les Baer. I got the bug for the LB after I spoke with Les Baer at the NRA show in May. I justify expensive purchases like this because I'm 70 and I can't take it with me.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 PM

I have shot a couple hundred rounds of the Champion ammo through my Kimber and my Ed Brown and have had no problems. I also agree that it seems to shoot cleaner than WWB.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttnGranite View Post
I have shot a couple hundred rounds of the Champion ammo through my Kimber and my Ed Brown and have had no problems. I also agree that it seems to shoot cleaner than WWB.
same here no problem shooting thru my Kimber. If I can recall the difference, between the the Federal Champion and Federal American Eagle is the federal eagle has a higher fps rating.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:59 PM

I shoot Champion 45acp and 9mm without any problems. I've spoken to several Federal CS reps and they all told me the same thing, same ammo except the "red box" is special WM packaging.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -Ted Nugent
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM

its not just made for walmart, the range/shop i work at part time sells it, actually we sell hundreds of thousnads of boxes of their shotguns shells every year, its by far the top selling shell on the outdoor shotgun ranges.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM

I don't care for Federal Champion, Remington green box, UMC or WWB, but I shoot them. I prefer federal AE, Fiocchi or PMC for range ammo.. Ron
Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 AM

I suspect that the Federal Champion ammo is nothing more than CCI Blazer Brass repackaged for Wal-Mart. It looks the same, has the same firing characteristics, burnt powder smells the same, etc. It generally burns clean and is loaded fairly hot. I also believe that new Federal American Eagle (at least in .45 ACP) is the same thing as well, old AE used to have cannelured cases which are now absent.

I do not like BB/FC ammo, it has caused jams for me and I have noticed primers falling out of the spent cases in the gun.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM

I've shot several hundred rounds of it over the last few months, through my BAER, can't say I've had any real problems with it. And since I've been laid off for a while, its the cheapest shootin ammo I've found.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM

I shot 2 - 50 rd boxes of 9mm 115 gr fmjrn (round nose) 9mm Federal Champion in one of my Hi Powers a few months ago.

I had 5 FTF's with 3 different Browning mags.

It was the first time this particular pistol had ever had a malfunction with fmj ammo and I've had the pistol for 30 years. As you can imagine, I was a bit upset.

Apparently, this BHP just didn't like the "round nose" profile of the Champion bullets.

I'll be sticking with American Eagle, Fiocchi, Winchester Q4318 or PMC.

General George S. Patton

Please Join the NRA -- Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights.!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM

I've shot 2 boxes of this stuff through my cbob. Didn't have any malfuntions with it. I'd buy it again...if I could ever find it in stock.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Banned

I've shot quite a bit of this through my Baers and have had no issues with it.
I like it better than WWB.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM

I've got a couple of boxes of the stuff in both 9mm and .45ACP, but I haven't had a chance to shoot them off yet. I figured it was cheap stuff (literally) like WWB so I'm not surprised it may gunk up the gun. Can't be worse than Wolff I suppose, and that stuff seems to shoot fairly reliably in my guns.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Us older folks remember that "Champion" was the name for Federal's match ammo back in the 1960's (Federal is a relatively "young" cartridge company).

I cannot say the new line is identical to the old line (for the old line had "FC-MATCH" as a headstamp I believe).

Shot some in a DoubleStar 1911 I was testing. It managed to put all holes touching at 25 yards. For my old eyes and shooting without sandbags that was better than I was expecting.

Looks like good stuff.

Jim
Old 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM

I have shot probably a thousand rounds of the 115g 9mm through a WIlson Combat Spec Ops, Karh PM9, Glock 17 and M&P9C
works fine for me, zero issues
Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM

I've been shooting it in 9mm, .40, and .45 for a while now. No problems with it in my Glocks or the 1911.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 PM

I've actually shot 400 rounds in my 1911 and another 50 in my SIG Sauer P220 without a problem. It just leaves a very dirty ramp.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM

I shot most with..

federal ammo from Wally...

2k in my XDm, and 1k in my XD40sc... have found any fed in 45 yet...

I shot some magtech that was at the local gun shop/range and was nasty in my 1911...

If i can find some Fed or Winchester clean might try that.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM

I buy it all the time for my 9mm, but Walmart never has any .45 in...Federal or otherwise unless you feel like buying some expensive hollow points

Anyway the only thing cheaper tends to be WWB, and the Federal is much cleaner. $10 for 50 9mm is quite a nice price.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 PM

I have shot quite a bit of it in my XDm 9mm over the last 6 months and have no real complaints. It does seem to shoot up and left a bit more than other brands in that pistol, but I would need to shoot off a bag to verigy that for sure.

Out!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 AM

Just bought a bunch of the Federal in 9mm, 40 SW and .45 ACP from Walmart. Oddly enough, two boxes of 50 Federal was cheaper then the big 100 WWB, by about a buck and a half in each caliber. The guy at the counter even waved the "6 box limit per day per customer" thing because he thought it was odd too. It definately shoots way cleaner then WWB as well. Haven't had any problems feeding either the Federal or WWB through my SA Loaded.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 AM

fed champ

I have a similar experience with you other posters--have been shooting the federal champion--Walmart 9mm thru my sig 226 for over a year--seems fine and no jams, and it's now always in stock at Wally World, which wasn't the case a year ago. Just picked up a couple of the 9mm 100 count WWB's, haven't shot them yet.

They also have 45 in stock more reliably than prev.--the federal champion freq., and only recently was I able to get a box of the WWB 100 count. I only recently purchased my STI Sentinel Premier and have only shot the fed. champion loads--have had a few feed jams--see my thread on the STI forum--but I think that's a gun and not ammo issue--haven't shot the WWB loads yet. As stated above, the fed. champion is a bit cheaper--$15.97 for a box of the 50 count, $32-97 for the WWB 100. The ammo thread talks about the Rem. 250 count for $85, but I haven't seen any of those yet.