1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM

Has anybody tried the belly band holster?

there is a few different options but it looks like a good idea, anybody with a review or opinion about one?

thanks

Last edited by shane.rawlings; 07-13-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Tried it, don't like it but it does have a place. It conceals well and with a little practice you can access your gun very fast. I just found it uncomfortable for a long period of time.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Tried it, don't like it but it does have a place. It conceals well and with a little practice you can access your gun very fast. I just found it uncomfortable for a long period of time.
Tried it too. I think it is probably best with a smaller gun. Also reholstering can be a pain. The idea was to wear it at the gym but the gym part never happened.

I have the Original Belly Band.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
I have a galco one now. It works very well with my 2" j frame Taurus. The gun is at a cross draw under my left arm pit. It is not the quickest draw but it is very very very concealable. I used it at work a couple of times and I'm blah blah blah. But anyway I like the belly band holster. I do wish I would have found a wider style and one with more pockets for differnt carry options. This one is limited to one extra mag pouch and what looks to be a handcuff case, both in the center. There are more styles out there, I may upgrade later down the road. PS I'm a big dude and it is comfortable for me to wear.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 AM

i have a galco i use on occasion.

its awesome with an LCP but a 5" 1911 wont stay put on my skinny body unless i suffocate myself and then its just painfull lol.

another way i use it is below the waist line like a smart carry. its tuckable and can carry anything @ 12:30 position "dont remember the correct name"

one thing to watchout for is hot weather. sweat and moisture will rust steel real quick and these things are like sponges.
i learned the hard way after carrying a parkerized colt for 16 hours in 100+ degrees... just a heads up lol
.:::/2010 Heritage #106
.:::/real rifles have pistol grips and selector switches
.:::/real shotguns have drums and folding stocks
.:::/real pistols say Dan Wesson on them
Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 PM

I have used the Galco version for years. It works great for my smaller rame pistols (Taurus PT22, Smith Model 30, and Beretta Model 70s). But anything larger is just uncomfortable on this short wide body (I am 5'10"; 220 pounds). I always make sure to wear a button-up shirt with it, too.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM

The Galco works when used with small pistols or revolvers when a baggy shirt covers it. Slow access, but you trade concealment and access when you have to dress very casually.