1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 PM

Beretta's "Bruniton" finish

Regarding this particular firearms finish, one hears everything from "crappy, outdated finish that wears quickly" to "My Bruniton-finished 92FS is 10 years old and still looks like new".

I've had no issues with my civvie M9, but then I kind of baby it. Any positive/negative feedback on Bruniton?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Epoxy over park. Looks good to me.

Epoxy hasn't really changed much in 10 years....nor have the additives.

Cheers!
Bill's Training Blog
Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Administrator

I've never had a problem with the Bruniton finish on the slide of Beretta pistols. My beef is with whatever they use on their aluminum frames, which scratch or wear just from breathing on them too hard.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I've never had a problem with the Bruniton finish on the slide of Beretta pistols. My beef is with whatever they use on their aluminum frames, which scratch or wear just from breathing on them too hard.
That'd be regular old "hard" anodizing, which really isnt that hard...

Or I should say, Al2O3 is quite hard, its adhesion to metallic (and especially alloyed Al, andd ESPECIALLY 7xxx series Al) is less than impressive.

Such is the price of a lightweight pistol.

Cheers!
Bill's Training Blog
Old 07-12-2010, 12:23 AM

Most of the Air Force's M9's I see in SouthWest Asia are so worn, finish-wise, they almost appear to be two-tone pistols....

I doubt that thigh-holsters are helping much,....
Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 AM

There is a conversation about this going on here too:
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=64094

I am a Beretta 92 nut... I have 4 variants right now (I have owned several others over the years), and am going to get the 92A1 when it hits the shelves in the next month. However, I think the Bruniton finish sucks.

I really wish they would come up with something more scratch resistant. It's damn near impossible to find a NEW Beretta without at least some scratches all over it - and this is NIB (even if you are the first guy to ever open the gun in the box). Several times, I've passed up several new ones or had to open up several boxed and look for the best" one because of this.

My 92FS is my carry gun. But I do not carry all of my Berettas - so when I shop for ones I know I won't be carrying, I expect them to look decent before I buy them.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Does anyone know exactly when Beretta started using Bruniton finishes?

I've searched the interwebz and can't find that information.

Thanks.

General George S. Patton

Please Join the NRA -- Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights.!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
There is a conversation about this going on here too:
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=64094

I am a Beretta 92 nut... I have 4 variants right now (I have owned several others over the years), and am going to get the 92A1 when it hits the shelves in the next month. However, I think the Bruniton finish sucks.

I really wish they would come up with something more scratch resistant. It's damn near impossible to find a NEW Beretta without at least some scratches all over it - and this is NIB (even if you are the first guy to ever open the gun in the box). Several times, I've passed up several new ones or had to open up several boxed and look for the best" one because of this.

My 92FS is my carry gun. But I do not carry all of my Berettas - so when I shop for ones I know I won't be carrying, I expect them to look decent before I buy them.
That's a simple fix - have it melonited.

Not much you can do with the aluminum though...
Bill's Training Blog