1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 PM

American Tactical FX45 1911 Pistol

I wanted to take this opportunity to post a review on my new American Tactical FX45 Military Model 1911 pistol. While this is my first 1911 to personally own, I carried one back in 1991 on the Korean DMZ during my year long tour. I have carried various modern pistols over the last twenty years, but that old Remington Rand 1911A1 was something that I truly missed. I have visited this forum many times, but this is my first time in having something to post.

Manufactured by Shooters Arms Manufacturing in the Philippines, the FX45 is a fine pistol and was worth the wait. I had handled a pre-production sample of this model earlier this year at an industry trade show and knew that I would be adding one to my collection.

This pistol arrived well-oiled and was secured in a shipping box bearing the American Tactical logo. The included instructions were rather basic, but anyone with knowledge of the 1911 can handle the standard assembly/disassembly with this pistol. The finish of the pistol was a consistent flat black and the wooden grips were made of Filipino Mahogany. Another nice feature was the ACT MAG 8 round magazine that was included.

I have been busy with a new daughter and work, so I haven’t had much time to head to the range. However, this pistol has functioned flawlessly for over 200 rounds and easily achieves basic accuracy. I say basic accuracy in that hitting near center and point of impact was accomplished. The “fliers” were all courtesy of it having been a few years since I had handled a 1911. I will keep you all updated as I continue shooting and testing this great pistol.

There are other models of the FX series available. They have a really nice looking compact and a tactical model with rail that I may have to add to my collection. My wife is a Filipina and I have embraced their culture, foods, and language. Now I can add that I really like the pistols they make as well.

I have included a photo of my new pistol next to some of the gear I carried when I was in. It fits perfectly! If anyone else has one of these pistols, post your thoughts on them as well.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:13 PM

I have one myself.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Great photo! I am really impressed with this pistol. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller View Post
Great photo! I am really impressed with this pistol. Thanks for posting.
Sure. Here's a few more.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Looks good! I just checked out their website and I like the looks of their GI; they have a lot of models.
Memberships: NRA (Life), IDPA, Cheesecake of the Month (not really), COTEP #0371
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp31 View Post
Looks good! I just checked out their website and I like the looks of their GI; they have a lot of models.
Yeah, they just came out a couple weeks back.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Looking good!!!! I really like it!!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 PM

American Tactical 45

wanted to take this opportunity to post a review on my new American Tactical FX45 Model 1911 GI pistol.....just got it today put 1 box or rounds thru it NO PROBLEMS what so ever..i got the GI ver. really like it ...it is 1" shoter then the Military Model ...on a scale of 1-10 is

looks 10
shoots 10
mag 08 (they only give you 1)
sights 5 plain black (cant get sight picture in low light or no light)
over all cond. can't pass it up for 369.99(is what i paid for it NIB)

i took off the factory plain wood grips and added the Polymer ivory grips they are a lot wider then factory ..here is a picture

Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM

ATI Mil vs SA Mil Spec

How are the comparisons?
Does it have the lowered ejector port?
Are the mags interchangable or is there any particular manu that they like?

Now that you have taken it to the range - how does it feel compared to military issued or to the SA's?

I read somewhere that the Thunderbolt does not like "reloads". Comments as I do mostly reloads at the range.

Give It Up. I do not here you.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM

Are these 70 series?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Yes.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Military vs GI weight differance

Okay, so I have not been able to find a details on these guns, yet I am still intrigued.

can anyone explain to me the weight differances. It appears the Military spec which is 5" comes out to 37oz which is where I think Colt is (39oz). But, the GI which is 4.25" barrel and I consider close to a Commander is ONLY 16oz. Is this frame made of aluminum? That sounds awfully light.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Any feed back yet

Looking for quality of manufacture?
Edges?
Slide?
Trigger?
Ejector?
Sights?

Overall Rating?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Shooters Arms Manufacturing for ATI & Iver Johnson?

SAM makes the 45 for ATI and now for Iver? This can only help me in my quest
Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craighmarshall View Post
How are the comparisons?
Does it have the lowered ejector port?
Are the mags interchangable or is there any particular manu that they like?

Now that you have taken it to the range - how does it feel compared to military issued or to the SA's?

I read somewhere that the Thunderbolt does not like "reloads". Comments as I do mostly reloads at the range.

Give It Up. I do not here you.
I got a thunderbolt and its ok, It feeds on hollowpoints
Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM

My ATI FX45 Military...

I've put over 1000 rounds through mine and absolutely love it. I've never had a problem with FMJ's or JHP's. No misfeeds or misfires. I polished the ramps as well as the internals, I used JB's on the slide, frame, and barrel, and I did a trigger job on it. The pull on it is 3.5 lbs. I'm going to replace the Firing Pin Stop with an EGW FPS this weekend. I think the only other thing I'm going to do to it is change out the sights. Does anyone have any experience changing the sights on this 1911? I'm thinking about putting Meprolight Tru-Dots on it.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM

Problems with ATI FX 45...

I want to start by saying that I love my FX 45 Military... when it's functioning. I hate ATI's customer support.

To put it bluntly, ATI's customer service SUCKS! When I first purchased my FX 45 Military, I had a minor problem. When I removed the grips, the grip bushing came out of the frame so that the grip screw and bushing were in the grip when I removed it. No problem. I didn't want to put a pair of pliers on the threads of the bushing that was stuck in the grip without having a replacement in hand so I called ATI and they said they'd send me some screws and bushings. I waited for six weeks. I then called ATI again only to find out that someone had dropped the ball and the screws and bushings were never sent. I was assured it would get done right away and a few days later, I received the screws and bushings. Problem solved.

I then embarked on installing some Trijicon night sights. The military sights on the FX 45 were extremely hard to remove so I called ATI's customer service. I called several times but got customer service's voice mail every time so I left a message each time. I finally circumvented their customer service phone menu and was able to speak to a live person who assured me that the sights were not attached in any special way. I had to cut out the rear sight with my Dremel tool and a cutting disk. I had to drill out the front sight tenon to get it out. I installed my sights without no problem and they are awesome! By the way, ATI finally listened to their voice mail and I got a call back a week later.

My friend has an FX 45 GI. He saw my sights and asked me to install some on his 1911. Should be a snap, right? WRONG! I installed the front sight with no problem but when I tried to install the rear sight, the dovetail was way way way too big. It was nowhere near military specification. You'd think the measurements would be the same as my FX 45 but they were not even close. The Trijicon rear sight flopped around in that dovetail like a fish out of water. We're going to weld in some shims and try to fit that rear sight in that dovetail. Apparently, the quality control on these 1911's leaves a bit to be desired!

The saga does not end there. I then decided to Duracoat my FX 45 Military with a matte black finish. It came out way better than I expected. I love Duracoat. I waited five days for the Duracoat to cure properly before going to the range. During my shooting, my hammer cracked at the back below the thumb pad. If you pull your hammer all the way back, the thumb pad may touch the beavertail. The hammer cracked in that area right below the thumb pad across the back. I was not happy but hey, if you pay $400 for a 1911, you should expect some crappy parts. I called ATI and you guessed it, voice mail... with a twist! Their voice mailboxes were full so I couldn't even leave a message! I called three times and then went to plan B; I circumvented the voice mail system again and spoke a receptionist of some kind. I told her that when I call customer service, it goes to voice mail but their voice mail is full so I can't leave a message. She said, "Well, there are only two of them down there. They're busy."

Once I get my new hammer from Brownells, I'm sure I'll be happy with my FX 45 again. It's a great shooter. My minor problems became major problems because ATI's customer service is HORRIBLE! BUYER BEWARE!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Just got my first 1911... and it was the ATI FX 1911GI.
Was very impressed with the overall quality and tight slide-frame fit of the gun...
And after about 100 rnds, dead-on accurate. The bottom-line... A STEAL FOR $400!!!

Re: extra Mags... Anyone purchase any yet (Mec-Gar, Wilson, etc.??)

Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM

hey UZO,
nice gun for starters. i bought two MEC-GAR mags for my American Classic ll. they are both 7rd mags and work great. i had to send my factory 8rd ACT mag back, because it would failtofeed the first two rounds, then it would work fine. while i was waiting for the mag to be replaced, i purchased two MEC-GAR's and they work great. i also purchased a colt 8rd mag and it functions flawlessly as well. i like the MEC-GARS and never had a problem with them. BTW, i recieved TWO new 8rd ACT mags today for the one that i sent in. metro arms (American Classic ll manufacturer) customer service is EXCELLENT!
“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 AM

Just put a fx gi on lay away...can't wait
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 AM

american tactical

this is my first 1911. havent run any rounds through i, but seems to be a stable gun. one problem with it, cant load 8 in the mag and chamber a round. it does work with 7 though. so load 7 chamber 1 eject mag and load 8th round. does this sound right? or is the problem because its new?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnismo400r View Post
this is my first 1911. havent run any rounds through i, but seems to be a stable gun. one problem with it, cant load 8 in the mag and chamber a round. it does work with 7 though. so load 7 chamber 1 eject mag and load 8th round. does this sound right? or is the problem because its new?
I wish I could tell you for sure. But with the Titan, Its a 7 round mag. So yes, load 7 chamber 1 drop the mag and top it off. 7+1.

Now if you have an 8 round mag, then you should be able to put 8 rounds in it. This would make yours an 8+1.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:49 PM

My first 1911 ATI FX 1911 GI

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZO View Post
Just got my first 1911... and it was the ATI FX 1911GI.
Was very impressed with the overall quality and tight slide-frame fit of the gun...
And after about 100 rnds, dead-on accurate. The bottom-line... A STEAL FOR $400!!!

Re: extra Mags... Anyone purchase any yet (Mec-Gar, Wilson, etc.??)

UZO we are thinking alike. I agree with you 100%, great buy and quality is awesome.

Last edited by Solo713; 09-13-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Wanting to change attached picture
Old 09-14-2011, 05:14 PM

1911 update for Solo713

Just wanted to show off my ATI FX 45 GI with matching ultimate equipment 1911 folding knife.

Last edited by Solo713; 09-14-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 AM

I have put around 500 - 750 through mine without any FTF's. I have been really impressed with it.

"Land of the Free because of the Brave"
"IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS WE MONITOR"
Life Member - NRA