1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 07-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Wiley Clapp Commander

Has anyone seen the WC Cdr? If so what do you think. I have a lead on one, but want comments before I drive to get it.

CBOB0285
Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 PM

I don't care much for the grips but other than that it seems to be another great Talo offering.
Memberships: NRA (Life), IDPA, Cheesecake of the Month (not really), COTEP #0371
Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Go get it! I'm intrigued by the offering and would love to see some pics and read a range report.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 AM

I see one on GB starting bid 1399.00

Why?? Almost 2 times are much as a standard blue Commander?

Talo offerings are always over-priced.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM

I think 1399 is above the msrp.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenner22 View Post
I think 1399 is above the msrp.
It is; I saw the same gun on GB and checked!
Memberships: NRA (Life), IDPA, Cheesecake of the Month (not really), COTEP #0371
Old 07-03-2010, 06:27 PM

I went and look at it. He wanted 1389.00 for it. I left it in the case. I don't see the big price diff. I will just hold out for a Lightweight Commander. I did like the grips.

CBOB0285
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 AM

I like it it was to much. I would hold out for a used Gunsite CCO or get the Colt Commander Lightweight with a fitted beavertail.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 PM

found it held it bought it shot it cleaned it hostered it

couldn't find one on gunbroker or gunsamerica. Went down to the local gunshop and they had one. Traded a milspec springer and cash and went to the range.
I love the way some people first glance and dont see the value. First off I can't do grip checkering and the front strap is checkered. Thats a couple hundred chaaaaaching, I like Novaks and the front brass bead goes on point fast, thats at least 75 bucks installed, it has the beavertail grip safety chaaaaaaching thats easily another 150 (what I paid last time to get one on my XSE commander plus part, ebg) small single sided safety, theres another 60 bucks at least installed, no full length guide rod, thats 25 bucks for short plug and short guide rod, change out to the old style commander hammer 80, and lastly the match grade barrel and bushing. 150?(All prices are what I have paid in the past few month here localy)
So you take a new lightweight commander XSE base here in town is 980.
total is

Not to mention the finish ??? What would that run?
And it is in the series 70 class with no firing pin block....yes, yes, yes

I walked out at

Put 150 flawless very accurate rounds down range.
Now the pistol is tight. Much more than my other commanders. I wonder if it has the 18lb spring. I shot it wet and it needs some high velocity rounds through it so tommorow its gonna be corbons and doubletap. I am very happy with the gun and it has a serial number under 30 on it. if they had two I would go back and get the other. Probably trade off a Kimber. I heard that Wiley was really concerned about the value of the gun and if his name was on it he was going to make sure it wasn't in the higher priced ranges. I feel he did that and hats off to Mr Clapp for caring about us working men.

T

Last edited by tharsh; 07-09-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsh View Post
I love the way some people first glance and dont see the value.
Actually I think most of us look hard for the values; some just don't want the extras is all. No biggie. If I could find a local one I would certainly like to see it up close.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 PM

I am in the same boat. I would love to look one over close up, but the couple gun stores that had one said they were sold within a day or two.
I think Talo has something interesting and I hope Colt is taking notice.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Average Moderator

I handled one at the NRA show & discussed it with Mr. Clapp. I like the specs. The only thing I'd change would be the thumb safety.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM

little more

I am making one minor change. I dont need the wide cut notch rear site and would prefer a cocking ledge. Going to put a Yam 10-8 Performance rear on it. I was on the fence with the 1918 safety but have decided to keep it. I have had issues with all my holsters having the thumb break pushing the safety off, Call me silly but at condition one I feel better with all safties on. So I am keeping the 1918 safety. After a weekend of carry I had no pushing of the safety to the off position by the thumb break. I get to the safety just fine during practice so I am keeping it

Tom

Last edited by tharsh; 07-12-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
1911 Aficionado

Funny, how a gun designed by one person, any person, isn't exactly what everyone else wants? That comes as a surprise?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 PM

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Funny, how a gun designed by one person, any person, isn't exactly what everyone else wants? That comes as a surprise?
No but after mod'ing out my last two colts this one came the closest stock and it is a better gun. What I cant figure out is why Colt doesn't do some designs and get more models out in the market place with the Talo attention to feature/function like the Wiley Clapp model came with post Talo.

Does anyone know if Talo retrofits everything or do they order the run from Colt? How does a stock Colt get to Talo spec?
Tom
Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 PM
1911 Aficionado

I think you can get Colt to make limited runs of whatever you want. I'm sure Talo specs the gun, tells Colt how many they want (how many they'll pay for), then Colt makes the guns to Talo's specs. If I had enough money, I could have a special "RickB Edition" Commander made, set up just the way I want it. Of course, there'd be no need for more than one, as who else wants my gun? Apparenlty, enough people are interested in how Wiley Clapp likes his Commanders configured, that Talo decided to make it available.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 PM

no offense to Mr Clapp, who as far as I can tell, had all his experience behind a typewriter, but should his "model" be termed the "ultimate fighting Commander"?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 PM
1911 Aficionado

I think he had a fair amount of competitive shooting and 'smithing experience in the military.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Clapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntotin_fool View Post
no offense to Mr Clapp, who as far as I can tell, had all his experience behind a typewriter, but should his "model" be termed the "ultimate fighting Commander"?
The video I saw on Youtube showed the commentator and Clapp addressing the model as really not his idea. He stated that he only agreed on the spec's and that the design is originaly Col Cooper's and mirrors Coopers carry weapon.

One last addition. It came with the Colt 7rd magazines.

Last edited by tharsh; 07-13-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 PM

First shots

Went to the range for the first time last weekend. Shot handloaded 230 grain Zero FMJ, Unique and power pistol powder, winchester primers. Gun shot very well. I traded a lightweight colt commander in stainless, series 80 action for the WC commander. From 25 feet, five shot groups averaged 2-3 inches. The front checkering on the gun has a very positive feel but the grips take some getting used to as I tended to want to grip it very hard as I am not used to thin or tapered grips. The Novak sights are very nice and its easy to regain sight picture after discharge. The trigger feels lighter than my previous commander but not a huge difference. I was attracted to the gun for its finish, 70 series action, front strap checkering, and national match barrel and bushing. Two things I don't like is the small safety and the magazine. Had the small safety on my traded commander and would like at least a non ambi tactical safety but I am just complaining. The magazines are Wilson Combat with plastic follower and alum base. These are the best mags I have found for any 1911 style gun.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 AM

I like everything except I never used gold bead. Wouldn't night sights be more practical?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Dealer called me and said he still has the gun. I will try to work a trade Monday.

CBOB0285
Old 07-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Average Moderator

If there is enough ambient light to see the sights, the gold bead helps you see the front sight. If there isn't enough ambient light to see your sights, but there is enough to identify the target, the a tritium insert will help you see the front sight. That is a rather small window of lighting conditions.
If there isn't enough ambient light to ID your target, then you need a white light.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
If there is enough ambient light to see the sights, the gold bead helps you see the front sight. If there isn't enough ambient light to see your sights, but there is enough to identify the target, the a tritium insert will help you see the front sight. That is a rather small window of lighting conditions.
If there isn't enough ambient light to ID your target, then you need a white light.
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:54 AM

If anyone sees one of these in the Raleigh, NC area please let me know. I'd like to "caress" it.