1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 06-23-2010, 03:04 AM

How much does your 1911 slide assembly weigh?

Including all the parts (firing pin, extractor, etc.) and the barrel? I'm wanting to do some calculations on the recoil energy, but don't have a scale here at home to weigh my own gun. I'm looking for this info for a full size, 5" barreled gun. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Most naked slides run close to 13 oz. (5" slides)
Barrels are not a major part of the equation, (as they donít reciprocate) unless you add weight or comp them.

Jeff

You don't understand...they killed my dog.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks for asking. I needed to weigh a couple of pistols and parts for similar reasons, and was too lazy to get started.

The slide and barrel on my Gov't model clone weigh 1lb 1.1oz. This is a genuine Colt series 70 slide and barrel, with the spring. It does have Millett sights installed, and it has been Duracoated. The firing pin stop is a small radius EGW type. So it may weigh a feather's bit more than average. That is 7481.25 grains.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 PM

My 70 series Gold Cup slide/barrel assembly and spring weighs 1 lb. 1.4 oz, or 7612.5 grains. It still has the original Colt blue, in good condition, but the Elliason sights have been replaced with Milletts. (What can I say! During the Reagan administration I really liked MIlletts. I got over it, though).

I think you should include the weight of the barrel. That is part of the initial weight resisting recoil. Perhaps half of the weight of the spring shouid be included, as not all of it moves during the recoil. You should also include the weight of a once fired case, as it is not going to recoil without one.

Happy calculations!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 PM

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get something close to what the actual spring is.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 AM

Not that they add much weight, but the hammer, hammer strut, mainspring, and the plunger in the mainspring housing should also be considered.

Again, some fraction of the mainspring's weight should be used, as not all of it moves the whole distance.

Probably simplest just to ignore these things, and use the weight of the slide/barrel assembly. This will still give good relative results.

Plus, I didn't want to disassemble my pistol just to weigh those parts.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelbane View Post
I think you should include the weight of the barrel. That is part of the initial weight resisting recoil. Perhaps half of the weight of the spring shouid be included, as not all of it moves during the recoil. You should also include the weight of a once fired case, as it is not going to recoil without one.

Happy calculations!
Correct me if I'm wrong (don't laugh, it happened once, in 1987), but wouldn't you also add or subtract the weight of the projectile? I would think it factors in since a lighter bullet seems to produce more felt recoil. At least, it feels that way to me.

However, acknowledging again the possibility that I have no idea what I'm talking about... If I understand the physics behind recoil cycled actions, the slide doesn't actually begin to move until the bullet leaves the barrel and equalizes the pressure built up behind it.

Of course, it IS almost 7am, I've been awake all night, and I just watched Ninja Assassin, so my brain is nearly mush. Therefore, if everything I just said is completely ridiculous, feel free to point and laugh.