1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Seattle Detonics

I have a chance to buy a mint Detonics 45 and would like some opinions as I know little about these guns, I have heard pro and con. This appears to be an early gun as it is stamped Seattle on the side. It is in mint condition and has been fired little, the seller is asking $850. I would appreciate any advice.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 AM
1911 Aficionado

Which model? In the early '80s, Detonics was making six different Combat Master models, blued, plated, and stainless, and the values vary with the model. They don't vary so much that I'd pay $850 for any of them, though. Ten years ago, I paid $550 for an unfired Seattle Detonics, with all the proper accessories, and I don't think prices have changed much, since. A mint Mk. II, III, IV, or VI might be worth $700-$750, but even a really nice Mk. V? $500-$600.
My experience says that the Combat Master is very sensitive to having fresh springs, both recoil and magazine, for reliable function. I'll shoot 500+ rounds without issue, then have a half-dozen functional issues - usually stovepipes, but also an occasional mis-feed - in the next 100 rounds. After installing new springs - they're cheap, so I replace them all - the gun runs great for another 500-800 rounds. 500-800 rounds doesn't sound like a lot, but that's all I put through that gun in a year. Other than staying on top of the springs, the only other concern is keeping track of the little screw that keeps the recoil system captive; the gun will work without it, so it's not a function issue, but if you lose it, disassembly and reassembly become a hassle. Without thread-locker, the screw will loosen after a couple of mags of shooting.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:54 PM

I don't see a huge collector interest in these guns and they seem to hang in the $600-$700 area. One that is not .45 ACP like 451 Detonics or 9mm seem to be worth more. A purchase with several extra mags is worth more. I have one I bought new in 1984 as a backup to my Colt Gov. main carry. They are snotty on springs and the ammo they like.

They have the shortest grip of a little 1911 I am familiar with. Here is a Colt Defender mag in mine. I often use a Gov. mag in mine when I take it out to shoot it so I have a place to put my little finger.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:36 AM

Offer the seller $700.00. You'll be good to go if you can get it for that. If not, there will be another later.

As the others posted - new springs - 230 gr ball ammo and don't expect it to be worth a darn beyond 7 yards.

Fun to shoot, and everbody ought to have at least one of these little guys!!!

Fshcop
Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Location: Indiana, hope to retire to Alaska. My wife wants to retire to Belize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshcop View Post
Offer the seller $700.00. You'll be good to go if you can get it for that. If not, there will be another later.

As the others posted - new springs - 230 gr ball ammo and don't expect it to be worth a darn beyond 7 yards.

Fun to shoot, and everbody ought to have at least one of these little guys!!!

Fshcop

As for ammo sensitivity and spring issues mentioned in above posts, I've extensively shot my Combat Masters and had no issues with ammo sensitivity but springs can wear. Victory Arms is now making stainless replacement springs for Combat Masters and $39 gets you an entire assembly, or you can get just the springs for under $20. They are claiming that you can get THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of rounds out of their springs. I've not worn out a set yet, but I'm trying

St Gabriel Possenti Patron Saint of Handgunners
Father John Corapi, "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!"
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM
1911 Aficionado

Don't shortchange the accuracy potential. While the gun is intended for up-close and personal, I occasionally shoot mine in IDPA competition, and usually have to make some 15-yard shots. The Combat Master has good sights, and while the short sight radius doesn't improve accuracy, the sights are close enough together that they look very sharp and clear.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ill/detpic.jpg

Last edited by RickB; 06-24-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM

I'm going to have to try some Victory Arms Springs. I agree with BickB assessment on the sights. Especially as my eyes get older.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Location: Indiana, hope to retire to Alaska. My wife wants to retire to Belize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
I'm going to have to try some Victory Arms Springs...
Here is a link to their website's store with the springs => http://victoryarms.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=4

St Gabriel Possenti Patron Saint of Handgunners
Father John Corapi, "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!"
Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
Here is a link to their website's store with the springs => http://victoryarms.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=4
Thanks for the link!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 PM
1911 Aficionado

Anyone know what's going on with Victory? I was under the impression that Peter Dunn had gone to Victory, or even was in on the formation of the company after Georgia Detonics folded, but he's back in the Seattle area working as the house gunsmith for a shooting range/gun store.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 AM

It's my understanding that Peter helps to care for his mother these days.