1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 PM

New malfunction on new Colt.....

Would anyone know what might cause the slide to stick in the fully open position (slide lock not engaged), such that applied force from the heel of my hand was required to get it to return to battery?
The 1911 - Colt LW Commander XSE
Ammo - Remington UMC 230gr FMJ
Magazine - Factory Colt 8-rd
The malfunction occurred twice in 30 rds; first on the first round of a cold gun, then again on the second magazine's third round.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM

A little more info is needed to help us properly understand the malfunction. What number round in the magazine does the jam occur on? Does it happen on the same mag, or with both mags?

With the info you provided, it sounds like the gun is falling to feed. The bullet is probably getting stuck on it's way into the chamber, and is holding the slide back.

To find out more of what is going on, I suggest marking your mags so you can tell them apart, then shooting the gun some more. If it continues to jam on only one of the mags, then it is most likely a bad magazine, which Colt may replace if you call them. If not, then the gun might need it's feed ramp polished or some other type of work. If this is the case put in a call to Colt and ask them about warranty service.

Another good piece of advice is to buy Wilson Combat magazines. They are regarded of some of the best available, and while not the cheapest, they are worth the investment especially if you intend to carry the gun.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM

i'd do a field strip and apply a nice coat of oil and shoot another box of ball ammo and see. It shouldn't happen again...could simply be a teething issue.
Good luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto426 View Post
A little more info is needed to help us properly understand the malfunction. What number round in the magazine does the jam occur on? Does it happen on the same mag, or with both mags?

With the info you provided, it sounds like the gun is falling to feed. The bullet is probably getting stuck on it's way into the chamber, and is holding the slide back.

To find out more of what is going on, I suggest marking your mags so you can tell them apart, then shooting the gun some more. If it continues to jam on only one of the mags, then it is most likely a bad magazine, which Colt may replace if you call them. If not, then the gun might need it's feed ramp polished or some other type of work. If this is the case put in a call to Colt and ask them about warranty service.

Another good piece of advice is to buy Wilson Combat magazines. They are regarded of some of the best available, and while not the cheapest, they are worth the investment especially if you intend to carry the gun.
The FTFs have occurred on both factory mags and a Wilson mag, usually on the last round but not always. I believe the FTFs might be an extractor issue, but I am still working that out. What I am confounded by is this new malfunction that I described where the slide is stuck in the open position and I have to force it to release it back to battery. There is no round involved in this malfunction. It is as if the slide is open and the slide lock is engaged with a magazine in the gun and no round in the chamber. The gun was clean and well lubed when I experienced the stuck slide and it has only happened twice.

Thanks for the response.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
i'd do a field strip and apply a nice coat of oil and shoot another box of ball ammo and see. It shouldn't happen again...could simply be a teething issue.
Good luck.
Man, I really hope so. I'd like to start carrying this piece.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ox View Post
The FTFs have occurred on both factory mags and a Wilson mag, usually on the last round but not always. I believe the FTFs might be an extractor issue, but I am still working that out. What I am confounded by is this new malfunction that I described where the slide is stuck in the open position and I have to force it to release it back to battery. There is no round involved in this malfunction. It is as if the slide is open and the slide lock is engaged with a magazine in the gun and no round in the chamber. The gun was clean and well lubed when I experienced the stuck slide and it has only happened twice.

Thanks for the response.
Are you saying the slide locks backs after firing all the rounds in the magazines. If yes then you have no malfunction, thats a feature of the 1911.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45sig9 View Post
Are you saying the slide locks backs after firing all the rounds in the magazines. If yes then you have no malfunction, thats a feature of the 1911.
Negative. The slide [I]stuck inthe open position after discharge of the first round in an 8-rd factory mag. The slide lock did not engage, nor was it supposed to at that point. To remedy the situation, I depressed the mag release button which dropped the magazine with the remaining 7 rds out of the weapon, then pressing hard with the heel of my hand against the rear of the slide, it broke free and returned to battery. I re-inserted the magazine (after doing a function check), charged the piece and it ran properly until the mag was dry and the slide locked open as it was designed to.

Hope that describes it better.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM

That's definately weird. I can't imagine what's causing that except an out of spec slide or frame.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Negative. The slide [I]stuck inthe open position after discharge of the first round in an 8-rd factory mag. The slide lock did not engage, nor was it supposed to at that point. To remedy the situation, I depressed the mag release button which dropped the magazine with the remaining 7 rds out of the weapon, then pressing hard with the heel of my hand against the rear of the slide, it broke free and returned to battery. I re-inserted the magazine (after doing a function check), charged the piece and it ran properly until the mag was dry and the slide locked open as it was designed to.

Hope that describes it better.
Now that sounds weird. What was holding the slide to the rear? I am pretty sure that is your question as well but the only thing I think is was not properly lube(I know you said it was lube) or the gun is really tight(I mean really tight).
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Man, I really hope so. I'd like to start carrying this piece.
i experienced the same exact issue with my brand new Kimber two years ago. Slide froze all the way to the rear twice during initial break in(first 20 rounds fired).
Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 PM
1911 Aficionado

I'd field strip the gun, then put the slide only on the frame. Run the slide all the way to the back, and see if it sticks right at the end of its travel. Also check the forward "corners" of the frame rails, and see if it looks like heavy rubbing or impact. The frame rails, and the slide grooves in which they run, should not interfere at the front; the slide should stop when the recoil spring tunnel impacts the recoil spring guide, but if you have a dimensional issue, the slide could be hitting the front edges of the frame rails, and the softer aluminum frame could be peened or distorted from the impact, causing the slide to stick.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Did you detail strip the pistol?

Rick's advice is solid. When you field strip it, though, check everything out for unusual signs of wear. I don't know why, but I feel like your ejector might be out of wack.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45sig9 View Post
Now that sounds weird. What was holding the slide to the rear? I am pretty sure that is your question as well but the only thing I think is was not properly lube(I know you said it was lube) or the gun is really tight(I mean really tight).
Well, It's my impression that the gun was ultra-tight. I've put 246 rounds through it so far. However, I've read opinions of those in the forum that feel like the Colt should run on any proper factory ammo without a break-in. I just don't know. I use Montana X-treme gun grease on all of my semi-autos in very tiny amounts (rails, rollers, etc.) and have always seemed to have good success. I wonder if it is significant that I ran 217 rounds through it before this weirdness happened. I am going to take the other fine advice posted here and closely inspect the slide and frame.

Is it wrong for me to be annoyed that this should be happening with a brand new Colt, or is this just teething pains?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfltackdriver View Post
Did you detail strip the pistol?

Rick's advice is solid. When you field strip it, though, check everything out for unusual signs of wear. I don't know why, but I feel like your ejector might be out of wack.
Most definitely - fresh out of the box and after every bit of range time. I'll pull it apart later this evening and follow Rick's advice.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM

It is annoying and leaves you feeling uneasy about your new purchase but there has to be an explanation for your issue.If the frame and slide look good, maybe suspect a defective recoil spring? A tight gun with a soft spring and grease on the slide rails? Sounds unlikely but with a round in the mag, what else could happen? I might try cleaning the gun and use gun oil instead of grease and take her for a spin. Just a thought!

Last edited by dvdslw; 06-17-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Most definitely - fresh out of the box and after every bit of range time. I'll pull it apart later this evening and follow Rick's advice.
That was a loaded question, ma fren'. You sure you're getting everything back together 100%?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 AM

Now if that was a LB, DW, or Kimber......everyone would tell you what a great piece that was and that it is supposed to be that tight!!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:44 AM

No Doubt!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfltackdriver View Post
That was a loaded question, ma fren'. You sure you're getting everything back together 100%?
Affirmative, 100%.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Something is too tight and is tying up the gun. Do like Rick said and try the stripped slide on the frame, and see if it still wants to bind up. It could be sticking on the ejector, or there could be a lack of clearance somewhere else. If the slide moves freely then reinstall the barrel without the recoil spring and guide. A too-tight barrel and bushing might also cause the problem if the barrel can't drop down and unlock freely. In the end I suspect you might need to send it back to Colt for correction, because it definitely shouldn't be happening.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Something is too tight and is tying up the gun. Do like Rick said and try the stripped slide on the frame, and see if it still wants to bind up. It could be sticking on the ejector, or there could be a lack of clearance somewhere else. If the slide moves freely then reinstall the barrel without the recoil spring and guide. A too-tight barrel and bushing might also cause the problem if the barrel can't drop down and unlock freely. In the end I suspect you might need to send it back to Colt for correction, because it definitely shouldn't be happening.
Did that. A close inspection did not reveal anything. The slide operated smoothly by itself and with the other compnents installed. I could not make it stick. I am going to put another 200 rounds through it tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Maybe it does need breaking in?

Well, I put 200 rounds of Armscor 230gr FMJs through the piece yesterday using 2 factory mags and 3 surplus mags, all numbered. There was one hiccup with the slide sticking in the open position as I had described in an earlier post, and it happened on the second round using a surplus mag. I definitely think it was the ejector, and it cleared easily with pressure from the heel of my left hand.

There were absolutely no other malfunctions whatsoever. I ran several mags dry as fast as I could pull the trigger, and the Colt functioned perfectly. It is also quite accurate. This makes a total of 443 rounds fired, and I plan to run a couple hundred more through her this coming week. So, maybe a break-in is necessary as some have advised.