1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 PM

Sig 1911 reliability Question

My dealer found a couple of Sig 1911s which are MA. compliant. I don't really need another 1911, but I liked the look and feel of the Sig. Any comments from owners re: reliability, accuracy, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Sig dug itself something of a hole with two 1911 problems but seems to have caught up in a big way with super tight well finished guns for prices well below some of the competition (Kimber and SA).

The first problem was with the original GSR 1911's. Those guns were a great idea- get the best parts available (Caspian, EGW, McCormick etc) and put them together in a state of the art facility. That didn't work out for the best as the small parts were all intended to be hand (gunsmith) fit. A good 1911 is more than just a collection of good parts. However, the problems were not universal or even a majority of the guns, many were very good guns that shot great and held up as well as you would expect based on the quality of the parts. Sig eventually got away from the all outside vendor model and now makes basically everything themselves. I have not heard of anyone getting a lemon recently.

The second problem was just with the C3 and RCS guns. I don't fully understand the issue, and I know several people who did not get one of the bad guns but there was some problem with the barrel and bushing (anyone who knows more feel free to correct me). That problem was resolved this year (those guns are newer so its a smaller problem) and all the new C3 RCS guns are free of the issue.

My 1911 out shoots my old Kimber and SA Loaded, as well as my friends' and relatives Colts. It also beat my friend's SA TRP easily the last time we had a little competition and it cost about 700 less with all the same features.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post
Sig dug itself something of a hole with two 1911 problems but seems to have caught up in a big way with super tight well finished guns for prices well below some of the competition (Kimber and SA).

The first problem was with the original GSR 1911's. Those guns were a great idea- get the best parts available (Caspian, EGW, McCormick etc) and put them together in a state of the art facility. That didn't work out for the best as the small parts were all intended to be hand (gunsmith) fit. A good 1911 is more than just a collection of good parts. However, the problems were not universal or even a majority of the guns, many were very good guns that shot great and held up as well as you would expect based on the quality of the parts. Sig eventually got away from the all outside vendor model and now makes basically everything themselves. I have not heard of anyone getting a lemon recently.

The second problem was just with the C3 and RCS guns. I don't fully understand the issue, and I know several people who did not get one of the bad guns but there was some problem with the barrel and bushing (anyone who knows more feel free to correct me). That problem was resolved this year (those guns are newer so its a smaller problem) and all the new C3 RCS guns are free of the issue.

My 1911 out shoots my old Kimber and SA Loaded, as well as my friends' and relatives Colts. It also beat my friend's SA TRP easily the last time we had a little competition and it cost about 700 less with all the same features.
The problem was an overlength barrel on the Compact. The slide would go into battery and the rear portion of the barrel would cycle forward and strike the back of the barrel bushing. Sig replaced my barrel, bushing and recoil spring under warrantee. Had it back in a week I'd buy another in a second if I WAS IN THE MARKET FOR ANOTHE ACCURATE 1911

NRA Life Member
Colt Series 80 Government
Sig GSR Compact Stainless
Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 AM

The TRP and Trophy Match can be found new online for about $1100. The least expensive Sig 5" I've seen is the XO for around $750 but does not have the same features. Would you still take an XO over the TRP? I've never shot an XO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post

Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 PM

I have never seen a new TRP for less than $1350 but if prices on them have come down that is good news. The XO won't get you a magwell, rail or ambi safety but if you are handy you could add those and use better parts for the difference. Otherwise the Tac Ops is the better comparison to the TRP My gun is set up like a Tac Ops or TRP and I only paid 960 for it two years ago when the MSRP on a TRP was over 1500.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 AM

I'd use it purely for idpa or uspsa so a rail or ambi safety is no use for my daytime right-handed shooting.

I would consider a magwell, though.

Sounds like an XO would be a good choice for a run & gun firearm that I wouldn't care about using and abusing.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM

I have the plain jane stainless steel 5 inch SIG 1911. I've run about 5K rounds thru it and it has been very solid and hasn't failed other than due to ammunition.

I shoot it primarily in IDPA and USPSA and it runs fine. The very early models were troublesome as they were made from high quality components and very little fitting was done by hand for individual guns.

SIG recognized this issue and made it right.

Go with confidence.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduckwor View Post
I have the plain jane stainless steel 5 inch SIG 1911. I've run about 5K rounds thru it and it has been very solid and hasn't failed other than due to ammunition.

I shoot it primarily in IDPA and USPSA and it runs fine. The very early models were troublesome as they were made from high quality components and very little fitting was done by hand for individual guns.

SIG recognized this issue and made it right.

Go with confidence.
Ditto for me... except mine is a nitron model in the 13xxx range...very very good...strong well fitted and absolutely reliable and accurate.

there is only 1 small down side to sig 1911s, getting a good kydex holster is limited currently to blade tech and blade tech Z
Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM

SIG-Sauer has been very good about addressing both the systemmic problems plaguing the early "first generation" GSRs (Caspian-produced slides, receivers, and Storm Lake barrels) and individual guns with problems.

I think that I can say that as a general rule these guns collectively are exceptionally accurate. Anticipate a 500 round break-in period. If problems persist after the break-in period, contact SIG-they'll more than likely send you an RMA number and a pre-paid mailing label, and then get issues squared away in very short order. I believe that they represent an exceptional value amoung currently available 1911 pattern pistols.

Best, Jon
Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 PM

I'm taking the leap of faith....

I just mailed off a check this morning for my new Nitron Rail.

I'm confident that this will be the nicest 1911 I've owned to date.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 PM

We purchased a C3 for my wife which suffered from the below barrel/bushing issue. Sig's handling of this and their inability to acknowledge they had a design problem has lead me away from them for certain on 1911's and likely their P series pistols as well. If it were my money I would look at Springfields or Kimbers in the 1911's. I had a Kimber prior to our purchase of the C3 and have added 2 more since we encountered problems with the C3 and they have all run flawlessly.

[QUOTE=dj528;2724184]
QUOTE]
Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
We purchased a C3 for my wife which suffered from the below barrel/bushing issue. Sig's handling of this and their inability to acknowledge they had a design problem has lead me away from them for certain on 1911's and likely their P series pistols as well. If it were my money I would look at Springfields or Kimbers in the 1911's. I had a Kimber prior to our purchase of the C3 and have added 2 more since we encountered problems with the C3 and they have all run flawlessly.
Strange. I had the barrel/bushing problem and Sig replaced it quickly, without hassle, and issued a call tag. My experience with Kimber customer service, on the other hand, was quite poor.