1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 PM

Best Guns to collect

I feel I have all the guns I need for self defence and shtf ( I am sure some would want more but I have all I can carry) My next firearms will be something to buy and pass down to my son. Want to start a collection to pass through the family. I have a colt hbar sporter match preban I was going to keep for that reason.

But Whats the best guns long and pistols, revolvers and etc... I plan on next buying a springfield 1903. I am going to assume rifle wise 1903, Garand, m14 and etc... What about revolvers and etc... Not trying to brake the bank, and actualy planing on buying a nice katana sword first. Just want to get my list together. Thanks.

Another question should I just buy one that would be really nice or more for the price of one.

I would be happy buying one piece that would be very nice and rare.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 PM

To be honest with youy.

I think that the pre-lock Smith and Wesson revolvers are a pretty good keepsake investment/Heirloom for somebody that wants to pass on something nice to younger people that will not break the bank. Check it out.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Alot of it depends on you and what catches your eye. Guns you have interest in will be more dear to you than what others may like, for me I like old
military guns and odd ball pieces that just attracts my eye. Those I will pass to my boys and grandchildren when the time comes.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Pre-lock S&W revolvers, Colt SAA's, older pre-series 70 Colt 1911's all make good collectible guns.

A few collectors guns that are on my bucket list:

- Luger
- Colt 1903 or 1908 hammerless
- Colt New Service
- Pre-Series 70 Colt Commercial
Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Ok since you asked! What should one collect is a wide open question. There are those that say you should specialize there are others that say buy what turns you on. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I tend to collect guns that I think may have a good opportunity to hold their value or even increase in value. I would also say buy "quality" firearms if you plan on handing them down to your son. If you enjoy the 03 Springfields then look at millitary rifles as an avenue. 03 Springfields from WWI or 30/40 Krag froms Spanish American war moving up to the Garands and M14 and on to Vietnam era etc. The other thing I try to do is learn as much as possible about the guns I collect and that means reading a lot and collecting books about the firearms I own.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Speaking as a son... I would want something special to my father. I do not care whatsoever what the value of the gun is. I have seen a handful of fathers pass on guns of all sorts to their children that had custom engraving done... I think that adds a very nice touch to it.

Completely hypothetically: If my father went out and bought a .45 Luger, just to hand down to me - I wouldn't really want it. I would MUCH rather have the gun he carried every day. That's just me, though
The sheep dislike the sheep dog until the coyote arrives.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 AM

RapidFire101 has hit the nail on the head. My Dad had one gun which I now have and sits in my safe. It is a Hi-Standard Super Tournament Master which I take to the range every now and then. It is the gun I learned to shoot with when I was 10 years old.

My son shoots my Kimber Stainless Pro Carry and he has told me that when I give up shooting, he would like to have that gun. I have three Grandkids that have picked out "their" guns from my collection. It is not the collectors value that is important, it is that it was your gun and they have an opportunity to remember you each time they hold that gun.

What a nice way to be remembered while passing on the tradition of shooting and supporting second amendment rights.
NRA Instructor
Old 06-12-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire101 View Post
Speaking as a son... I would want something special to my father. I do not care whatsoever what the value of the gun is. I have seen a handful of fathers pass on guns of all sorts to their children that had custom engraving done... I think that adds a very nice touch to it.

Completely hypothetically: If my father went out and bought a .45 Luger, just to hand down to me - I wouldn't really want it. I would MUCH rather have the gun he carried every day. That's just me, though
+1 buy what you like
Old 06-12-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartakis View Post
I feel I have all the guns I need for self defence and shtf ( I am sure some would want more but I have all I can carry) My next firearms will be something to buy and pass down to my son. Want to start a collection to pass through the family. I have a colt hbar sporter match preban I was going to keep for that reason.

But Whats the best guns long and pistols, revolvers and etc... I plan on next buying a springfield 1903. I am going to assume rifle wise 1903, Garand, m14 and etc... What about revolvers and etc... Not trying to brake the bank, and actualy planing on buying a nice katana sword first. Just want to get my list together. Thanks.

Another question should I just buy one that would be really nice or more for the price of one.

I would be happy buying one piece that would be very nice and rare.

I have had similar thoughts. My two year old son is way too young to share my love of guns and my seven year old daughter doesn't seem too interested but she loves fishing so she may yet come around...

I've decided that the best approach for me is a combination of collectibles and shooters. This way they can share my appreciation for historic and notable guns while also learning to enjoy them for what they truly are, finely crafted precision machines.

You seem to have an approach for the collectibles so I'm going to suggest the other side, the shooters. Since my kids are young I'm focusing on growing my collection as they grow. My first rifle purchase for them was a Ruger 10/22. I'm planning on picking up a Henry Golden Boy next. Their first semi-auto pistol was a Browning Buckmark. Next up will be a revolver, probably a Ruger Bearcat. I'm holding off on shotguns because there are just too many to choose from and I would like to see what they're interested in first. My choices for hunting would be much different than my choices for trap/sporting clays.

-Dryden
Old 06-12-2010, 12:27 PM

I have received several guns from both my father and grandfather. Some very collectable. My favorites are a mangled SKS my dad brought back from Vietnam and a beat up single shot 22 rifle that was my grandpa's and the first gun my dad shot when he was a kid and also the first gun I shot when I was 10.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 PM

The first issue is whether you are passing along something as an heirloom or an investment. To me, my most prized gun is a sporterized 1903 Springfield because my grandfather sporterized it in the 60s for my father. He made a custom curly maple stock that makes it truly special. True collectors think sporterizing these old military rifles is a sin, but it was common back then and it's what makes the rifle special to me.

I also like the M1 Garand my father gave me because it was the battle rifle of his era (he served in the Korean War). For the same reason, I'll cherish the M1 Carbine he has when he hands it down.

As far as investment firearms, you have to be very discriminating. I'm more in tune with handguns than long arms and would suggest nice quality pre-lock Smith revolvers and Colt revolvers. Pythons and Diamondback have really become expensive. In either case, original parts, grips, and finish are important.

I've shied away from buying vintage 1911s simply because I don't know what I'm doing. It's too easy for someone to switch out a mis-matched part and make a collector piece into an old shooter. But, if your interest is in that direction, by all means explore it.

Last edited by KyJim; 06-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:06 PM

Last edited by aric; 03-29-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:17 PM

I think if you want to collect to pass on to sons, you should collect what you want to shoot and preferably shoot with them. The memories of both of you shooting the same gun would transcend any other value the gun has.

If you want to start a collection for beauty, investment value, and other reasons, I suggest picking a particular type of firearm that holds the most interest to you. Learn all you can about that type of firearm whether it be a USGI, revolver of a certain type/vintage, foriegn arm or what have you.

I have a friend that collects saturday night specials or as he calls them
"Midnight Magnums." He probably has about 150 of them. He researchs the brand and model and writes his own summary on the gun based on his research. Most of his are from the 50's and 60's. Interesting collection.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 06-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I think that the pre-lock Smith and Wesson revolvers are a pretty good keepsake investment/Heirloom for somebody that wants to pass on something nice to younger people that will not break the bank. Check it out.
Ditto, but I'd go back farther, to the recessed cylinder/pinned barrel models.
Very nice examples can be had for $600.

I wish my father had left me his Model 12 Winchester, which a brother
got. All I got was his pristine Browning A-5 Light 12. It doesn't matter
that it is a Browning or what model it is; it matters that it was my
father's.

Joe
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 PM

I am with you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dcoe View Post
Ditto, but I'd go back farther, to the recessed cylinder/pinned barrel models.
Very nice examples can be had for $600.

I wish my father had left me his Model 12 Winchester, which a brother
got. All I got was his pristine Browning A-5 Light 12. It doesn't matter
that it is a Browning or what model it is; it matters that it was my
father's.

Joe
The pinned and recessed guns appear to be going up rapidly. They can still be found reasonably here and there. But they are going up fast. And I will emphasize that condition is important. Beaters will never be more than beaters. It is funny that you mention the model twelves. I just picked up one in like new condition made in 1961 for six bills. I thought that this was high but I liked the gun. Now that I am looking at other model twelves and what they are going for. I think that I did all right.

Keep your powder dry.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:49 PM

I have given a lot of thought to this. Since I have daughters and they are all of age (40& 29), I hope to leave my gun collection to them as it is what I consider to be extensive and growing. Due to my advanced age and a few medical problems, I may clock out at any time but I am still working daily. The best I can hope for is the youngest will marry some guy that has enough sense to appreciate the guns but I also have a list of the guns and current value on the computer so she can know what to sell each for. The eldest daughter is a liberal anti gunner thanks to her maternal grandmother.

What I have learned over the years is that it does not matter what you collect as long as it is a name brand gun. I have more S&W guns than Colt, Glock or custom made but I enjoy buying guns just to own. They are getting more pricey these days but so much fun to shoot. As long as it comes from a parent, the child will love it, unless they do not like guns.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 PM

ALL OF THEM. But, like my Winchester M21's, old Ithaca, early 1911's (not A1's), early wheel guns, Pythons, enjoy my Savage M99 in 22-250. I shoot them all.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks for all your help. My son ( so far only son dont know if I want another the way this world is going ) is four and a gun freak allready his faviort store is what he calls the gun store ( bass pro ) he will look at all the guns, scopes, bows and etc...

He will get what I shoot 2 1911's ( kimber ultra carry 2 9mm and a .45 )and 2 Ar's ( colt sporter match hbar preban and a bcm build dont know how bcm name will come out in 20 years with it being a build rra lower ) and .22lr rifle and handgun( 10/22 and bereta 22) without a doubt. But I wanted for myself something to pass through the familiy, something that is a piece of history that might be hard to get in 20 years from now.

I am thinking I might just buy one gun insteed of having a big historic collection and add to my modern collection as I feel needed.

Thinking an oldschool double barrel anybody have any good suggestions. I seen one on pawn stars had the spring loaded bayonet, and nice engraving, out of my price range, but thats something I am leaning towards
Old 06-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartakis View Post
"...something that is a piece of history...Thinking an oldschool double barrel anybody have any good suggestions."
Yes, williamd posted a good answer just above you, a Winchester Model 21. Prepare to drop some coin though.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Colt Pythons, Colt 1911's, S&W pre-locks
Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunroe View Post
Yes, williamd posted a good answer just above you, a Winchester Model 21. Prepare to drop some coin though.
Then are very nice shotguns, but I am looking for more coach type. Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 PM

my vote goes for Lugers, S&W M&P's (the wheelguns, not those plastic things), and as mentioned before, the pre lock S&W's, Colt 1903's and 1911's, maybe an old Hi-Power or 2, Model 29's are nice too

I have a custom spur and western decoration business! http://www.facebook.com/pages/JH-Spurs/211804625565944 & http://www.etsy.com/shop/JHSpurs?ref=si_shop
Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 PM

Im going to sound crazy, and say Hex receiever Mosins.

if you don't think they won't appreciate, look at what SKS's, and other bolt guns like enfields and their ammo fetch at market.

You can buy several nice mosins, and a ton of ammo for the price of a 1903 or garand.

Flame me now!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 PM

It just goes to show you.

There is something out there for everybody.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 AM

Buy the gun that you have always wanted, shoot it, carry it or whatever you wish to do with it and Im sure your son will know it meant a lot to you