1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 AM

HomeBrew Parkerizing DIY HOW TO!!!

Welp.... a little background first. I ordered a Caspian MSH and it came to me unfinished and I didn't want to wait for a "Premade Solution" to come in NOR did I want to pay $20 to get it here when I can make my own. So here's how I did this... AS A DISCLAIMER I MUST SAY THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK, YOU WILL BE WORKING WITH ACID, HIGH TEMPS, AND OPENED BATTERIES. I AND 1911FORUM.COM ASSUME NO LIABILITY IF YOU DO INJURE YOURSELF, BE SMART, WORK IN PROTECTIVE CLOTHING AND TAKE EXTRA MEASURES WITH GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION.

Here's what you need to get:
1 - jug of Acidic Ceramic Tile Cleaner (IT HAS to contain Phosphoric Acid... I found mine at Lowes for $7.02.
1 - clean Steel Wool Pad (a bag of 6 cost me $2.92 at Lowes)
Steel Wire (small enough to fit in any hole you're going to hang your parts by)
1 - gallon of DISTILLED WATER IT MUST BE DISTILLED OR YOU WILL GET STREAKS IN YOUR FINISH!!!!
A Stainless steel bowl / pot big enough for the parts you will be parkerizing.
An outdoor Stove / grill / hotplate... ODORS ARE NASTY WHEN THIS ACID CLEANER STARTS EVAPORATING.
3 - D CELL BATTERIES (FOR THE MANGANESE DIOXIDE, LOOK ON YOUTUBE FOR HOW TO EXTRACT THIS FROM THEM)
1 - CAN OF WD40
Ok, Ok.... here we go...

GET YOUR WATER IN THE POT READY TO GO... AND START HEATING IT UP.

THEN INSERT THESE INGREDIENTS IN THIS ORDER!!!!

1/2 CUP OF ACID (WATCH OUT FOR SPLASHING!!! IT WILL BURN YOU)
1/4 CUP OF MANGANESE DIOXIDE

THEN WHILE ITS HEATING TO A BOIL CLEAN YOUR PARTS....

You MUST DEGREASE AND DE-OIL ALL PARTS!!!! I just washed mine in REALLY HOT water with Dawn dish soap.
DO NOT TOUCH THE PARTS WITH YOUR BARE HANDS AFTER YOU CLEAN THEM, YOU WILL RUIN YOUR FINISH IF YOU DO

SCUFF UP THE PART WITH A STEEL WOOL PAD YOU ARE NOT USING. A LOT OF PEOPLE LIKE TO BEAD BLAST THEIR PARTS, SO IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT MORE POWER TO YOU.... I DIDN'T HAVE A BLASTER ACCESSIBLE TO ME. BUT OBVIOUSLY YOU WANT THE STEEL TO BE BARE CARBON

THEN WASH AGAIN.

NOW WAIT SOME MORE UNTIL THE BATH IS HOT...

Now hang your parts on some steel wire and put in the Acid bath...
also toss in a HALF of a steel wool pad!!!

Wait a while... (15 min - 1 hour)

take out your part and IMMEDIATELY SPRAY WITH WD40 AND THEN LET HER SOAK A DAY. HERE'S WHAT SHE'LL LOOK LIKE WHEN YOU DRY IT OFF

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK!!!

Last edited by 2010champion; 06-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM

My hat's off to someone who is a fellow DIYer. I never could understand how folks could send their gun off to someone for work they could do themselves. Your Park looks even but it's hard to know what color you got. I've seen green to grey to charcoal using different home brews.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenL4 View Post
My hat's off to someone who is a fellow DIYer. I never could understand how folks could send their gun off to someone for work they could do themselves. Your Park looks even but it's hard to know what color you got. I've seen green to grey to charcoal using different home brews.
Yeah. I'm BRAND NEW to this gunsmithing thing... I am stoked for learning though...

It's hard to tell with my crappy pic (i'll post better ones later) but I'd say it's a deep charcoal. I THINK it would match my Springfield Champion GI almost PERFECTLY (only reason I say think and almost is that my Champion is at Springfield until tomorrow) SO I'll let you know then exactly how deep it went.

Oh... and P.S. If the brew isn't working well, You either need to add more MANGANESE or MORE HEAT I wound up dumping all 3 batteries worth of the Manganese in because I had 40 minutes before I needed to be at my Brother-in-laws graduation ceremony.

But anyways... up next will be a thumb safety. I'm debating between the ambi extended or just extended. anyways, that's another topic for another thread.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Dumb question, but I have never done this or seen it done. But I do want to repark an Argentine 1911. What does the steel wool do? Should you soak the metal in a tub of WD40 afterwards or just spray it down and let it sit?
Thanks
JZ
Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM

I've heard it said that it, "Activates" the solution. I don't know what it really does... But I was told to use it so I did.

As for WD40, I took the part out still hanging by the wire. Then sprayed it with the WD40, then I dropped it in a Ziplock Bag, and took the wire out. Then Soaked it in WD40 and closed the bag, left it for a day then I took it out and wiped it off with a paper towel.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM

A suggestion: wash the steel wool with brake cleaner, carb cleaner or Dawn liquid before using it in your solution. I think the steel wool has a bit of oil on it to keep it from rusting. I've got some in open bags that's more than 10 yrs old and kept in the garage. There's no rust in the bag. ???
Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Yeah, do that just to be safe. BUT BE SURE TO GET ALL OF THE SOAP OUT!!!!

I DIDN'T AND MINE TURNED OUT FINE.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 AM

Here's a pic of the MSH against my XDM 40...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:58 AM

2010 champion,

Can you tell me the brand name ceramic tile cleaner you used. Went to Lowe's and couldn't find one with the "right stuff".
Thanks
JZ
Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrips View Post
2010 champion,

Can you tell me the brand name ceramic tile cleaner you used. Went to Lowe's and couldn't find one with the "right stuff".
Thanks
JZ

this is the exact one that I used

http://www.lowes.com/pd_245934-1168-93305-30_0_?productId=1070043&Ntt=ceramic%20tile%20clean er&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&curren tURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$rpp=15$No=225$Ntt=ceramic% 20tile%20cleaner$Ns=p_product_price|1$identifier=