1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 PM

Whos got the Nastiest 10mm load??

Im not talking about over-pressure, but just the Hottest, meanest, fastest load you have, or have seen chrono-ed.
I like to use 165 Hollowpoints/ powerpistol myself, but without a chrono, I cant contribute any speeds or PF.
Yes and Obama got re elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterinpa View Post
So then who can claim with a straight face that zombies do not exist?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 AM

I don't like light bullets, especially in the 10mm so I use the 200 gr. XTP over the MAX charge listed for AA # 9 in Norma or Starline brass w/CCI 300 primers.

It is a healthy load to be sure and one that shoots very well in my custom Colt DE and also in a G20 that I once had.

Chrono results thru a 5" Bar-Sto bbl. in the DE showed the 200 gr. bullets moving at 1143.6 fps.

A MAX load of AA #9 with the Win. 175 gr. STHP thru the same pistol produced 12795. fps.

A MAX load of HS-6 also works well with the 200 gr. XTP bullet.

Consult your loading manuals for the exact charges.

Last edited by JimC; 06-05-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Banned

I shoot 180gr XTP, Zero JHP and MG JHP. Longshot is my powder of choice for high velocity rounds.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM

not sure what yer askin', but I've been called nasty

My 135g/ 1800+fps?
My 155g/ 1600+?
My 180g/ 1500+?
My 200g/ 1400+?
My 220g/ 1300+?

I no longer load for or own a 10mm platform.

If you really want to buy ammo, look at BuffaloBore and CorBon and DoubleTap.

After you've broken your gun and wallet recommend investigating the Winchester 175g Silvertip load.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
My 135g/ 1800+fps?

Kule!!!

Quote:

After you've broken your gun and wallet recommend investigating the Winchester 175g Silvertip load.
Funny, Ive got all that, Im looking forward to shooting the Buffalo Bore.
Now if I could ever get Fusion to give me back my parts, Ill go try 'em out.
Quote:
Old 06-06-2010, 07:28 AM

I take it you're more interested in 'bragging rights" or some such thing rather than any actual performance failures of your present loadings?

Lighter faster rounds will induce 'snappier' recoil, heavier slower ones more of a push. All published 10mm loads taken to or at least near max should achieve acceptable results for either paper punching or self defense.

Last edited by RandyP; 06-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 AM

I've been loading the 10mm for 11 years now. Most people new to the 10mm find that the loads commercially available to are very anemic.

Unfortunately I fired up all of my original full power Norma 200 gr. loads a long time ago.

I personally witnessed two of the Norma loads fired out of a stock Colt DE completely penetrate a 1 1/2" 2'x3' sheet of Lexan that came out of a bank remodel job.

As far as bragging rights, no need here. I’m quite pleased with my 200 gr. XTP load on top of the MAX loading of AA #9 in my DE. I guarantee you; they will give you more than just a push when it comes to the recoil! They are however, no where near the full power of the old Norma ammo.

1143.6 fps = 576 ft. lbs. of energy rounded off.

The 175 gr. STHP load = 635 ft. lbs. of energy.

Hot enough for my DE.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
My 135g/ 1800+fps?
My 155g/ 1600+?
My 180g/ 1500+?
My 200g/ 1400+?
My 220g/ 1300+?

I no longer load for or own a 10mm platform.

Just so I won't have to look it up, do any of the commercial ammo manufacturers offer 10mm in 135mm that chronys @ 1800 fps?
I load for 10mm, but just don't see any point in terribly hot loads. If all I'm doing is shooting inanimate targets, then what difference does a few hundred f.p.s. make?

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Just so I won't have to look it up, do any of the commercial ammo manufacturers offer 10mm in 135mm that chronys @ 1800 fps?
I load for 10mm, but just don't see any point in terribly hot loads. If all I'm doing is shooting inanimate targets, then what difference does a few hundred f.p.s. make?
None what so ever and less wear and tear on your firearm.

Maybe a little off topic but them maybe not. I love to read about the guys who load to see how big/bright they can get their muzzle flash!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
I take it you're more interested in 'bragging rights" or some such thing rather than any actual performance failures of your present loadings?
Yeah, thats pretty much it, braggin rights, I guess.
But Im also curious about the Downsides of any and all loads.
I hear about the 10mm being such a powerful cartridge, but nothing commercial seems to have anymore power than a hot .357...(other than some that were mentioned above) So, Ive just started trying to research the cartridge in general. I know about the Lighter/faster vs. Slower/heavier debate, and if I want uber-light/fast, I tend to grab my 9.
However, When I saw the 1800fps load, though, I was a little dumbfounded. It was more than what I had thought even the 10mm was capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
None what so ever and less wear and tear on your firearm.

Maybe a little off topic but them maybe not. I love to read about the guys who load to see how big/bright they can get their muzzle flash!
Oh, I can agree to that; and I already have my target/plinker load figured out (roughly). I was just curious who had loads on the other end of the speed spectrum. However, to play devil's advocate; If you arent really concerned so much with the speed of your bullet; Why exactly did you get a 10mm??......jussssayin.

Ive only fired 11 rounds through mine, then I dissasembled it, and its scattered throughout the country right now being re-done.
So, in the down time, I am mainly trying to find what people have done with all weights of bullets.

Thanks for all your replies, guys. Im really glad yer all here.
Quote:

Last edited by 8AteEight; 06-06-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 PM

i also began loading 10 mm about 5 or so years ago.mostly just plinkers along with a couple of boxes of hunting ammo every year.i prefer the 180 and 200 grain weights as i don't take shots over 100 yards with my handgun.

i have shot a couple of cases of double tap just to see what the fuss was about.

i too use aa#9 and a max charge under a 180 or 200 grain jhp.they seem more than adequate so far.I've read that 800x is the way to go if you want to push the limits but personally i don't need that.
pete
nra life member cotep#85
Old 06-06-2010, 01:49 PM

230 grains at 1210 fps. I stopped there because the gap between the pocket and the primer almost went away.

While it was a fun experiment, I usually load mid-range loads for range use.
1911 lefties who don't use ambi-safeties - Member #1

Last edited by nking; 06-06-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
However, to play devil's advocate; If you arent really concerned so much with the speed of your bullet; Why exactly did you get a 10mm??......jussssayin.
Because I shot my first 10mm years ago in the form of a Colt DE and loved the gun/round. That was with the original Norma loads. That was when they busted thru the Lexan!

I saw the potential to play with a new caliber but in the 1911 format which is one of my favorites.

I had a G20C and my Brother a G20. We loaded and experimented with all sorts of 10mm loads in the Glocks. I still like the G20 pistol but no longer own one.

As I stated right off, I don't like light weight bullets so the 10mm with a 200 gr. bullet at the "normal" 10mm velocities appealed to me. The lightest that I will load is the 175 gr. STHP.

At one time I had two DEs but sold one to fund the custom work that I had done on the other by EGW in PA when George Smith was turning out his very fine pistols.

I have very nice 1911 platform and a powerful ctg. to use out of it if I want to take advantage of all the available power. I don't usually use my full house loads thru it however.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

180 gr XTP or GD and 10.9 gr X800 with Magnum primers...Averages @ 1400 fps out of 6" fully supported 1911 Longslide
Old 06-06-2010, 06:13 PM

I'm surprised that Weshoot gets 1800 f.p.s. out of a 135gr in 10mm. That's what the .40 Super factory loads ran at. Don't know that I ever saw anybody publish that they were able to do that safely with 10mm.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that Weshoot gets 1800 f.p.s. out of a 135gr in 10mm. That's what the .40 Super factory loads ran at. Don't know that I ever saw anybody publish that they were able to do that safely with 10mm.
WESHOOT did say "after you've broke your gun and wallet........".
Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 AM

It seems the responses all end up the same way. No posting of a particular bullet, powder, and weight with the performance data. I don't go beyond the maximum listed in published data. But I can see where it would be fun to see others (don't know if they are smart or not) push to a point I tend not to got to. The OP asked for loads..... does anyone want to suggest some specifics?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert101 View Post
It seems the responses all end up the same way. No posting of a particular bullet, powder, and weight with the performance data. I don't go beyond the maximum listed in published data. But I can see where it would be fun to see others (don't know if they are smart or not) push to a point I tend not to got to. The OP asked for loads..... does anyone want to suggest some specifics?
This is what I posted at the end of one of my posts:

A MAX load of AA #9 with the Win. 175 gr. STHP thru the same pistol produced 12795. fps.

A MAX load of HS-6 also works well with the 200 gr. XTP bullet.

Consult your loading manuals for the exact charges.

The reason, liability, especially when it comes to MAX loads and how someone else reads what is posted.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 AM

I’ll post some info
Everyone wants data but no one seems to want to work for it anymore
I have been loading the 10 since the mid 80’s

From my experience the powder that has the highest velocity potential has been No.9
It’s burn rate and configuration using very small dense ball powder are a plus here.
While this would not be my accuracy pick for all if not most loads, it will get about all you can get out of the 10MM and still keep parts off the track.
Anything much slower and you just can’t get enough of the stuff into the case to get the pressure up to develop the highest speed .
No.9 like No.7, Power Pistol, V-V N350 in the 10 has always been easy to work with for me and with little surprise. Very forgiving as you work them up the power scale
I probably burn more No.7 and N350 than anything in the 10 for a combination of accuracy and power. PP would be a close third.

Some faster medium burn rate powders like Power Pistol, V-V N340, 800-X, HS-6 are great powders and most likely will have an accuracy advantage over No.9 and will run the 10 fast.
But…. are a bit too fast to get the “highest velocity” from them.
At least in any of my testing.

For top accuracy I have had great results with powders like Titegroup, N320 (wildcated)
231 (can be monster accurate) UNIVERSAL (a real sleeper).

Since I recently had such good results using Longshot in my 9x23 Winchester loadings I am starting a whole new load work up with it in the 10, It may prove to be a nice compromise between power and accuracy. Time will tell.

Below are some “Nasty” 10MM load data and speed-readings I obtained using AA No.9
To get these results most if not all the load data is in excess of most if not all published data you would find for the respective loadings.

Rather than risk a problem for someone using equipment I have no idea about.
I have listed the charge weight grains red with a (+) to indicate this load is in excess of the stated load weight and published data
THESE ARE NOT STARTING CHARGE WEIGHTS, but the used charge weight “plus” additional weight.
This way as you are working the loads up you can use your chronograph readings for comparison.
These are not loadings which I would operate on a sustained basis.
ALL of the firearms used are either stock or modified using Fully Supported Ramped Barrels.
I would not attempt any high performance loading in ANY gun or ANY caliber the case is not fully supported.
This data is for comparison use in similar guns or platforms

Good Luck (Zoom, Zoom)

Bullet NOS 135 JHP (Accurate no longer recommends using No.9 with this bullet) I still use it though
Powder 17.0 + grs. AA No.9
Primer Fed. Large
Case Winchester
COAL 1.250”
Gun Smith 1006
Chronograph 1522 fps

Bullet NOS 150 JHP
Powder 16.0 + grs. AA No. 9
Primer Fed. Large
Case Norma
COAL 1.255”
Gun Para-Ord
Chronograph 1473 fps

Bullet REM 180 JHP
Powder grs. 14.0 + grs. AA No.9
Primer Fed. Large Match
Case Federal
COAL 1.255”
Gun Colt DGC
Chronograph 1308 fps

Bullet HDY 200 XTP
Powder 13.0 + grs. AA No.9
Primer Fed. Large Match
Case Norma
COAL 1.255”
Gun Colt DGC
Chronograph 1213 fps

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 AM

Bullet HDY 200 XTP
Powder 13.0 + grs. AA No.9
Primer Fed. Large Match
Case Norma
COAL 1.255”
Gun Colt DGC
Chronograph 1213 fps

This load flattened primers (CCI 300) and enlarged the primer pockets in both Norma and new Starline brass in both my G20C and Colt DE after only two firings.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 AM

My impression of the average attention span and attention to detail of a minority of folks makes we worried just posting 'published, safe' loads, let alone those that are clearly over max.

Nobody reads the fine print, often new reloaders too, and guaranteed 'somebody' is only going to read Gerk's posted data and have a problem when they go over his published numbers, if his published numbers don't kaboom their handgun in the first place.

Maybe I'm just being overly anal this morning?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
My impression of the average attention span and attention to detail of a minority of folks makes we worried just posting 'published, safe' loads, let alone those that are clearly over max.

Nobody reads the fine print, often new reloaders too, and guaranteed 'somebody' is only going to read Gerk's posted data and have a problem when they go over his published numbers, if his published numbers don't kaboom their handgun in the first place.

Maybe I'm just being overly anal this morning?
Not at all.

I agree and the copy paste info that I used in my last response was not data that I posted but, I have tried the same load with minor variations.
I do not load 10mm using that +MAX load any longer.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert101 View Post
Have you even read this thread ?? I also noticed you contributed NOTHING to answer the OP's question
Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM

might still have a few lots on the 10mm shelf

Quote:
...........?
Not any longer
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM

10mm stuff

Quote:
I got in excess of 1800fps; so did customers.

AA9 is the best 'all-in-stupid-city' 10mm choice for heavier bullets.

"Safely" is relative, based on one's personal perspective.