1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 PM

Help me! I am being pulled back to the dark side!

Man! As much as I love my Exceutive Carry.... and I DO love it, a LOT, I am second guessing if I really want to learn to use a safety, in an emergency type situation. I mean, I've carried Glock since 1986 or 87, and obviously, no safety to flip off. I kinda have that down pat pretty well.

Crap.... I ordered a G26 with night sights to play with and try to see if that will be better for me. I know, I know... 9mm vs an incredible 45 from Ed Brown? I know....... Ugh.... just, in the back of my mind, I wonder.... IF I really ever needed it FAST.... could that little flick slow me down? This is sad. I have never had such an incredible gun and I'm debating letting it go! :-(

Talk me into or out of that goof! ha ha

Last edited by PTAC; 06-02-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 PM

edit by me.
SEMPER FI

Last edited by 69charger; 06-03-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 PM

I sympathize with you. I love 1911s and Glocks. I am
waiting on a Les Baer, am looking for my next 1911 which will probably be an EB (hello Jerry) BUT my little G26 still goes with me to places once in a while. I feel the two systems are pretty similar, not like working a double action. I feel comfortable with both styles and would not part from either. Actually these are only two systems I buy into, Glocks and 1911s.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Average Moderator

You don't know the power of the dark side. Go ahead and yield.
Send me the Ed Brown.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 PM

If that little flip bothers you, you need to sell all your crap on GB.

Last edited by Ticeman; 06-02-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Peter do you have a holster for your Glock as well as one for your EB ? I have Dave Bullard "Bodyguard" holsters for my G23 as well as my EB. Both good holsters & wear so you really don't even feel they are there. The Glock is of course "bulkier" partly due to the Double Stack Mag & Thicker grip. My EC just "pulls into" my side & I really don't notice its there. Try practicing drawing your EC as though you have a Polar Bear coming after you. The thumb just naturally goes over the Safety-Off & it becomes 2nd nature after a while. When i draw my G23 I was taught to keep my finger off the trigger, to prevent an early fire in a stressful situation. I took down a Bank Robber couple months before I retired & nearly "popped a cap" on him. I really feel the EB is safer (for me anyway) than my Glock. I still carry the Glock at times, but mostly the EB or Kimber. But good luck & let us know what all you're going to do.
Larue 5.56 OBR & Larue PredatAR 5.56
Remington 870s

Last edited by exfebee; 06-02-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 PM

I'm very fond of my 1911's as well, but a few months ago, I bought a G19 just to have a beater 9mm that's durable and reliable.

Buy what you want. You really shouldn't care what anybody else thinks.

I know I don't.
COTEP - #300

NRA member
GOA member
TSRA member
Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticeman View Post
If that little flip bothers you, you need to sell all your crap on GB.
You stop looking for my dang gun on GB, you!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzusa.1911 View Post
I sympathize with you. I love 1911s and Glocks.************* Actually these are only two systems I buy into, Glocks and 1911s.
These are also my choices. I love my little 26. To the OP, you say "letting it go", do you mean you will be selling the 1911 to fund the Glock? If thats the case, you will certainly regret it. Not to sound elitest, but Glocks are chump change. If anything, it never hurts to have an addition to the safe, there are some things you will just not be able to do with the 1911 you can with the Glock (I carry the 26 on the ankle).
Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfebee View Post
Peter do you have a holster for your Glock as well as one for your EB ? I have Dave Bullard "Bodyguard" holsters for my G23 as well as my EB. Both good holsters & wear so you really don't even feel they are there. The Glock is of course "bulkier" partly due to the Double Stack Mag & Thicker grip. My EC just "pulls into" my side & I really don't notice its there. Try practicing drawing your EC as though you have a Polar Bear coming after you. The thumb just naturally goes over the Safety-Off & it becomes 2nd nature after a while. When i draw my G23 I was taught to keep my finger off the trigger, to prevent an early fire in a stressful situation. I took down a Bank Robber couple months before I retired & nearly "popped a cap" on him. I really feel the EB is safer (for me anyway) than my Glock. I still carry the Glock at times, but mostly the EB or Kimber. But good luck & let us know what all you're going to do.
Yes I have holster for both. I always carried the glock (23) in the glock belt slide tuperware type they offer... it actually works great. I have a VM-2 for the Brown and tomorrow, should have my OWB Adams....

I'll probably take a few deep breaths and NOT fire the new G26..... in case I need to get rid of it. I really like the way the EC shoots... and the weight is not a problem for me. It's just that I had a dream about the safety... LOL

I need to just shoot the heck out of it and get used to the safety again. I really do love the damn thing!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml403 View Post
These are also my choices. I love my little 26. To the OP, you say "letting it go", do you mean you will be selling the 1911 to fund the Glock? If thats the case, you will certainly regret it. Not to sound elitest, but Glocks are chump change. If anything, it never hurts to have an addition to the safe, there are some things you will just not be able to do with the 1911 you can with the Glock (I carry the 26 on the ankle).
I don't "Have" to sell it.... I already have the G26 ordered and will get it tomorrow. I also have a G23 that I bought new in 87 or whenever they first came out (I was a dealer back then as well and got a consecutive pair for me and my brother).

I have a few thousand rounds of 9mm... maybe I'll teach the wife to shoot the G26.... she loves to shoot and just applied for her carry permit a few days ago! So....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Your concerns are very, very real. I have seen it many times. A guy who just loves his 1911 doesn't knock-off that thumb-safety under stress.

It happens. A lot. Why? Simple. In most cases the person carrying the 1911 hasn't spent the time or energy to master the manual of arms. Get serious about carrying a 1911 or don't.

Let me put it this way. If I shoot a Glock, I knock off the safety.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 PM

I have a 34 with night sights, Vanek trigger, and Bedair SS guide rod. It's strictly a range pistol because of the trigger modification. Welcome to the dark side.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM

The safety is snapped off as you bring your weapon up for presentation, no time wasted, so I'm not seeing the issue.

I have an almost magical ability to talk myself into anything, so trust me I know the symptoms, especially in the purchasing or sale of firearms.

Seriously, if "time wasted" is a concern you need better weapons training.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage68 View Post
The safety is snapped off as you bring your weapon up for presentation, no time wasted, so I'm not seeing the issue.

I have an almost magical ability to talk myself into anything, so trust me I know the symptoms, especially in the purchasing or sale of firearms.

Seriously, if "time wasted" is a concern you need better weapons training.
No, it's 100% a matter of practice practice practice. And, after 20+ years of practice practice practice NO safety to flick off..... it will take some serious work to retrain... maybe not, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Now, if I have plenty of time to enter a gun fight.... no worries.... if I have to rush.... then there is a slight chance (under stress) that I might forget I've switched to a 1911 instead of the 20+ year glock....

I know.... practice. I'll give it a lot of thought!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 PM

Peter as you so wisely stated "Practice..Practice..Practice". It has got to come natural. If you are in a shoot situation everything you do must be automatic. You do not have the time to think about the "mechanics". Remember... the guy/animal is going to kill you or your family if you don't prevail. The moment the weapon clears the holster the safety must be off. No hesitation. Finger off the trigger until the target is clear & you're lined up, then pull-it. Bullseye targets are fine at first, but i'd suggest the "full size" FBI silhouette targets for a more "real life" practice.. The center "bottle shaped" area is where the vital organs are - Thats where your bullet must go - no arms/legs. ( The old saying "a wounded dog can still bite you" - also applies here). All the best buddy.
Carl..
Larue 5.56 OBR & Larue PredatAR 5.56
Remington 870s

Last edited by exfebee; 06-03-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAC View Post
Man! As much as I love my Exceutive Carry.... and I DO love it, a LOT, I am second guessing if I really want to learn to use a safety, in an emergency type situation. I mean, I've carried Glock since 1986 or 87, and obviously, no safety to flip off. I kinda have that down pat pretty well.

Crap.... I ordered a G26 with night sights to play with and try to see if that will be better for me. I know, I know... 9mm vs an incredible 45 from Ed Brown? I know....... Ugh.... just, in the back of my mind, I wonder.... IF I really ever needed it FAST.... could that little flick slow me down? This is sad. I have never had such an incredible gun and I'm debating letting it go! :-(

Talk me into or out of that goof! ha ha
3,000 to 5,000 repititions to learn something by muscle memory. It sounds like a lot, but it's not really that many. When you pull the glock you don't have to do anything but keep your finger off the trigger; when you pull the 1911 you have to drop the thumb safety. Add the extra move at night 20-50 times for a couple of months.

Does it really matter if you drop a safety on your glock that isn't there? No (as Greyson said). Would it matter on the 1911? Yes, big party foul here. Once you get in the habit it will stay with you. Try it for a month or so. I have almost always had to carry different guns on different assignments, though the last time I did PSD work it was a glock. Hate them plastic guns. At home, I'm always with a 1911 or now a Browning HP, but both are single action with identical actions. I am comfortable with all because I typically only carry the 1911 and don't really care if I accidentally hit a safety that isn't there on a glock. You have to go the other direction, but it's not a big deal.

Suck it up and do the 3,000 to 5,000 repititions!!

I have faith you can do it!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 AM

Go for it

Go for it, and I'll give you a "fair" price for the Brown ...Tony
Les Baer Concept V_Springfield Custom Carry_Custom Comp_ TRP Operator_TRP Stnls_Loaded Champion Bobtail_Lgwt Loaded Champion_Custom Delta Elite_D.W. CBOB 10mm_Glock 19,20,31_STI Perfect 10_STI Guardian_Fusion LS Tactical 10_Ruger BH 45lc_Kahr PM9

COTEP #CBOB0318
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Ok Ok..... I'm gonna hang in there and practice a LOT. I love the way this beauty shoots and I had it made exactly how I wanted it. It would be a shame to lose faith in it at this point!

I'll give the G26 to my wife for our 5 yr this weekend!

Thanks for all the comments!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM

I agree with what others said, buy what you want its your money and you only have to make you happy
Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
Your concerns are very, very real. I have seen it many times. A guy who just loves his 1911 doesn't knock-off that thumb-safety under stress.

It happens. A lot. Why? Simple. In most cases the person carrying the 1911 hasn't spent the time or energy to master the manual of arms. Get serious about carrying a 1911 or don't.

Let me put it this way. If I shoot a Glock, I knock off the safety.

Regards,
Greyson
Greyson, this is exactly what I do. Everytime I shoot my G26, I go for the left thumbsafety (just in case it is there ). Seriously, this helps me training with both guns as I do use both guns.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 PM

And anyone who thinks a TS is slower, needs to watch some IPSC matches.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 PM

Put that piece of junk on GB, that thing is dangerous, could poke yer eye out with it, I won't bid on it, honest.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM

The only advice that I could offer is to get involved with the different matches that might be in your area. Check out the IDPA, USPSA, SCSA, or IPSC.
When you get involved in theses "sports" you will get used to doing a quick draw, swipe off the thumb saftey, and engaging a target with a quickness. It will be like nothing then.
It very fun and addicting.

Happy Shooting...
Proverbs 14:12 and 1 Corinthians 1:18... Heavy scripture!!

Last edited by snojet; 06-03-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: needed to add
Old 06-03-2010, 06:31 PM

If you train with a 1911 then there is no harm flipping off the invisible safety on your Glock. Doesn't work the other way around though. As far as thinking of selling it, well the thought is already in your head so my bet is there's something you're not happy about and will probably end up selling it. My KC came with some pretty substantial defects from the factory. I sent it back and the broken/misadjusted parts were repaired properly, but it still didn't work perfectly until I switched the recoil spring out (turns out the stock one was short). Well, I just never fell back in love with the gun so I just sold it. I guess the point for me is that all my guns that were keepers, I knew so from the get go. All the ones I questioned even a little bit, eventually sold. YMMV. Oh, and I love my G19.