1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 05-30-2010, 01:46 PM

Ed Brown Classic Custom

Has anyone used a Bar-Sto barrel in their Classic Custom? If so, which one did you go with?

I am thinking about purchasing an Classic Custom and have always admired the Bar-Sto barrels. I joined this site yesterday and I am looking forward to learning from other forum members.

Thanks!

Classic Custom
Old 05-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Can you specify a different barrel when ordering a pistol from Brown? If not, I don't see the point of spending 3 large on a CC, then having the barrel replaced.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuHu View Post
Can you specify a different barrel when ordering a pistol from Brown? If not, I don't see the point of spending 3 large on a CC, then having the barrel replaced.
Thanks for the quick reply. You may have answered my question. Is there even such thing as upgrade parts for the Classic Custom or does it come with the best of the best?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Classic

The Classic Custom comes with the same parts as any ED Brown . Thats what I like about Brown Pistols. IT does come with much more metal work and the finsh just has to be seen and felt to belive. I have a Two tone CC. It does come with full lenght guide rod that I dont really care for but have left it on. I bought it before Brown offered so many custom features. I'm thinking of ordering another all blue carbon w/hand engraving.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Custom View Post
Has anyone used a Bar-Sto barrel in their Classic Custom? If so, which one did you go with?

I am thinking about purchasing an Classic Custom and have always admired the Bar-Sto barrels. I joined this site yesterday and I am looking forward to learning from other forum members.

Thanks!

Classic Custom
If the gun is new, then you can't do much better than the EB barrel. I can't imagine you would find any accuracy difference with the BarSto. If the gun is used then I would just drop in a new EB barrel and have them do it. Their turn-around time on EB guns is very fast. I bought a used CC and had them fit a new extended thumb safety and do a re-blue. I had it back in one week.

Save the money, buy ammo or take a class. That's a better investment in my opinion.
cheers.
J
Old 05-30-2010, 07:37 PM

First off welcome to the forum, trust you will enjoy your time here.

As for an aftermarket barrel in a Brown, not really any point.

One thing Brown is known for is high quality barrels, even if you do find a 'better' barrel as an aftermarket, any potential gain vs. money spent will be very small indeed.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 05-30-2010, 08:22 PM

^
^
^

The only better, in my not so humble opinion, is Kart... and how much better is VERY debatable.

FWIW - Brown, Kart and Wilson make the best. I dont like the Bar-Sto rifleing as much. Hard to argue with results...
Bill's Training Blog
Old 05-30-2010, 08:47 PM

I have a Barsto on my Brown at the time you had a choice of a Brown barrel, a Barsto, or a Briley with spherical bushing. Back when Ed was doing real custom work. This one has the Barsto barrel, Bomar sights and was built on a Les Baer frame and slide. Shoots better than it looks too.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 AM

Brown won't install aftermarket barrels in their weapons.

Incidentally...most barrels on 1911s these days are fairly good. To prove the point, Kimber barrels are known to be top notch. Most smiths doing a build on a Kimber, if they are honest, will tell a customer to keep the Kimber barrel.

In short, you swap out a barrel on a new Brown, you are just flushing money down the toilet for all but the most arcane and limited of purposes. Not saying someone out there doesn't swear by aftermarket barrels, but at your current price/quality point; you are gilding the lilly.

Regards,
Greyson