1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 AM

Spec Ops 9 questions

Am I correct in thinking that in large part this is a KZ9 with a 4.25" barrel? If so, I have some questions:

Does it take the same mags?

Is it possible to simply swap the top ends, or are the dust rail and ejector different as they would be on the corresponding single stack 1911s? I can probably afford a top end long before a new pistol.

I really like my KZ 9, and there is some appeal to the shorter barrel for carry, unless it does the same in your face ejecting that a lot of 4-4.25" 1911s do.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug M again View Post
Am I correct in thinking that in large part this is a KZ9 with a 4.25" barrel? If so, I have some questions:

Does it take the same mags?

Is it possible to simply swap the top ends, or are the dust rail and ejector different as they would be on the corresponding single stack 1911s? I can probably afford a top end long before a new pistol.

I really like my KZ 9, and there is some appeal to the shorter barrel for carry, unless it does the same in your face ejecting that a lot of 4-4.25" 1911s do.
Do a search on this forum-the Spec Ops 9 is a completely different top end with a different lockup, slide, barrel, etc. It is more optimized for the 9mm cartridge. If you have a full size kZ-9 and want to build a compact, we could probably do that for you.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM

The only similarity I can think of is the fact that they both use the same magazineand shoot the same caliber.....Speaking of which, WCR, any updates on when the Spec Ops 9 mags are going to become available?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
Do a search on this forum-the Spec Ops 9 is a completely different top end with a different lockup, slide, barrel, etc. It is more optimized for the 9mm cartridge. If you have a full size kZ-9 and want to build a compact, we could probably do that for you.
Sounds like that could be a good way to inflict a complex project on some poor gunsmith. As long as they take the same mags, I'll hold off and just go with the SO9.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:18 PM

Is this model legal for IDPA? Saw article on it and it looked like a nice setup. I plan to buy or build an IDPA spec gun.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 PM

I don't know if there has been a ruling from IDPA HQ.

If you wanted to run it, you could say it was a new design which fit The Box and made weight limit.

If you wanted to disallow it, you could say it is approximately as close to a 1911 design as, say, an STI Edge which is not qualified for IDPA because it lacks a barrel bushing.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Any plans to offer it in a caliber other than 9mm? Maybe .40 S&W!!!!!
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handgun Guy View Post
Any plans to offer it in a caliber other than 9mm? Maybe .40 S&W!!!!!
My understanding is this pistol was designed from the ground up for the 9mm. My guess is that a .40 would be a pretty decent undertaking, especially considering they would have to design a whole new magazine.