1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM

It's probably the sound of the barrel and bushingcoming together. LB fits them up with a bit of tension which is why they get those little happy face marks on them so quickly. It's also why you should pull the slide back just a little bit before turning the bushing.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
The Les Baer guns are like the guns coming out of the Springfield Custom Shop, not the regular production line like the Loaded, or even the TRP. Though the TRP is sort of in between.

It's not fair to compare a LB to a standard production line gun and even the best of those, the Loaded, will fall short.
TRP is Springfields top of the line "off the shelf". Loaded is simply that, "Loaded" with the bells and whistles. TRP will seem like a great pistol, untill you shoot one or a thousand rounds from a LB TRS. Don't hate me Springfield fans. Whole bunch of LB shooters here will back my play 100%.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM

The TRP is a FINE gun but make no mistake, a Baer it is not.

BTW, I have had two TRP's so I can say from experience that while a fine gun, it just lacks so much of the handwork and superior parts of a Baer. One even had a fantastic 8lb trigger pull out of the box.

TRP...loaded with MIM, bad or not depending on your point of view, it is. Quality frame and slide made in Brazil, machined here. Stainless barrel..unknown mfr.

Baer...NO MIM, forged frame and slide made in the US. Baer barrels are made by Kart and Kart barrels are probably the best of the best.

I could keep going but it's really apples to oranges.

http://1911enthusiast.com/showthread...ssional-PC9111
Old 05-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexi View Post

I've had a couple fools try to tell me the TRP is just as good as a Baer. I just told to pull their head out of their azz.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexi View Post

BTW, I have had two TRP's, that while a fine gun, it just lacks the handwork and superior parts of a Baer.
I could keep going but it's really apples to oranges.
Same experiance, and opinion.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 AM

I'm still thinking about and looking for a Les Baer. I'd still like your in put. Buying a Les Baer ain't like buy a Glock or SA XD
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM

What more input could you possibly need? You wont find a better 1911 for the money. Period.

If you want adjustable sights get a Premier II.

If you want fixed sights go with a TRS. If you wanna save a couple bucks and don't care about the Thunder Ranch markings go with a UTC.

If you want a slab side type go with a Monolith.

You can't lose with any of them..
-Alchemy Custom Target-

Last edited by MidwestRookie; 04-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 PM

When i was asking a similar question, I PMed several LB owners who also had NHC and Wilsons. Everyone of them said, The best $ spent was on the LB and it is more accurate then the others. They are equally reliable, some are prettier, but the LB was their top choice for accuracy. I can pretty up the LB for less then the cost of the other makers if i was interested in that kind of stuff. I like the HARD fit, Rugged good looks and tuff as hell feel you get when shooting it. Man, kind of seems like i was describing myself.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Jeez...this thread was started two years ago, and you STILL haven't decided? Crap or get off the pot.

I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket.

COTEP #CBOB0505
Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm a big Springfield fan and have 2 TRPs. But once I started shooting my Baer I hardly touch the TRPs anymore. The operator still sits on my nightstand with a light attached but the Baer is what gets shot and carried the most.

A 1911 Addict
Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM

Two years. Geez I thought I was a procrastinator.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Hey Line Rider,
Has it really been two years since your first question was asked? Oh well....my 2 cents worth.....Like most on this site, I have a choice between make and models of 1911's in my gun safe....got Springers and Colts as well as Browns, Wilsons and Baers....and others too. The one I pick up every day? The humble Baer PII. Shoots straight as a laser and cycles every time. And, it's the same PII that I've been picking up and carrying every day for almost the last 20 years. I'm not saying that you should choose what I choose....but, when men have a choice and keep picking up their Baers, it says something. Anyway....you're paying the freight on your next 1911....your choice. Take care.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM

Hey Black Majik, it sounds like it's time for a new one then.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM

I've owned Wilsons and NHCs as well as baers, nothing shoots as well as a baer.

One interesting new find is the Dan Wesson line. While not quite as accurate as a Baer, they are every bit as good as the others for even less than a Baer. I'm really impressed by them. RZ45 is about $1200 retail.

Don

FFL - 07 - Manufacturer
NRA Life Member
NRA Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun Instructor
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 AM

dcmdon, I have to really disagree. Have you seen dan wesson prices lately. Yikes. Ive seen valors going for 1900+. I will pick a baer over a wesson any day.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 PM

I love my Baer. Probably the only weapon I will not part with.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

I've been smitten, as soon as I have the cash I plan on getting a UTC
Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
One interesting new find is the Dan Wesson line. While not quite as accurate as a Baer, they are every bit as good as the others for even less than a Baer. I'm really impressed by them. RZ45 is about $1200 retail.

Don

Just silly, and I'll leave it at that.
-Alchemy Custom Target-
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Dan Wesson guns are not hand fit to the level LB's are. They admit they are machine cut to a tight tolerance and most parts are rarely if at all hand fit. Although they are good, id place them in the SA TRP area, which is not near a BAER.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethhardy View Post
dcmdon, I have to really disagree. Have you seen dan wesson prices lately. Yikes. Ive seen valors going for 1900+. I will pick a baer over a wesson any day.
I agree that some models, like the valor have gotten way up there. But stupid people are willing to pay huge premiums for the perceived benefit of a forged vs cast frame.

The real values are the RZ45 and the Pointman 7. Just like Baers, all the DWs are built by the same people to the same standards from American parts by Americans. Just like the Baers, the lower priced models are the real value.

Here's a used Pointman on GB with a buy it now price of $900.
Its a steal compared to the Brazilian or Philippine gun you get from other major manufacturers for the same price.

Like I said above, I recently sold a new RZ-45 to a customer for a bit less than $1200. I made a reasonable profit and he got a great gun for a decent price.

If you look above, you will see that in the posts before mine, people were floating the idea of a TRP. My point was mainly to offer a better, lower priced alternative to the TRP. If you've got $1600 to spend, just buy a Baer and be done with it. You'll never regret it. If you have $1000 to spend, get a used DW.

Above all, don't get me wrong. My PII is the finest handgun I've ever owned. My point is mainly that if you can't afford a baer, or don't want to, the DW is a great value for a few hundred less. I would put a DW against my Nighthawk as far as how well they shoot. The other thing I like about the DWs is that like the Les Baers, they are more traditional looking. They aren't all softened and melted like so many other 1911s.

FFL - 07 - Manufacturer
NRA Life Member
NRA Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun Instructor

Last edited by dcmdon; 05-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 AM

my TRS has seem more than 20k rounds. all original factory parts except for recoil spring. the action is like disney on ice
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM

True. Wessons back in the day were a phenominal value, but once you go custom its hard to go back to factory. I would rather just save and go baer. Even if it takes a year.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 AM

The fact that every part of the gun is numbered and is traceable, which converts back to ownership and pride in manufacture is just one other little tidbit to chew on.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Accuracy....

I thought I loved my Springfield Loaded. Still do really, but....

Pic is my UTC and my Springer against a target I did a comparison on (no comments on the mediocre shooting please!)

Baer on the right, Loaded on the left (don't blame the Loaded for that low flyer, that was all me).

12 yards, American Eagle 230 gr FMJ. I had run 2 mags through each pistol to warm up both me and the barrels. Then I ran one 8 round mag through each gun. Baer group is about 1/2 the size of the Loaded group.

I know I could have somehow possibly "willed" the Baer to shoot better, but I doubt it with my mediocre shooting skills!

And I know about "combat accuracy" vs. paper accuracy. But no matter how badly I shoot, the Baer is just more accurate.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Doesn't seem like a lot but, those differences matter to me.