1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned

Kimber warranty

I did a search on here, but couldn't find anything regarding Kimber's warranty. (maybe I didn't search right) Anyway, can someone tell me about it? I would look on the site, but where I work the computer is resticted. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

I love how 33 people viewed this , but know one could take the time to answer my question; hmm... guess the 33 people must not know or own a Kimber. Anyway, I heard the warranty stinks, thats why SA is the way to go!!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:40 PM

I have a few Kimbers. To tell you the truth, none have needed service so far, so I can not give you an answer.

Mike
Old 05-14-2010, 01:58 PM

I have Kimbers, but I'll pay a pistolsmith to perform any future work on my Kimbers. Cheers.. Ron
Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 PM

They have a 1 year warranty. They seem good about honoring it. SA does have a very nice lifetime warranty on their guns, even the Brazilian ones.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Banned

Thanks people. I appreciate that. That's all I wanted to know. Thx again
Old 05-14-2010, 02:14 PM

Yo... Tony:

I just read your Q @ 1440. Don't know what their warrantee states, but i know how it works.

Bout a month ago I saw a neat Kimber at Troxell's gun emporium. It has a Commander length barrel and an Officer's size frame. They call it "Compact Stainless II" I think of it as a Commanding Officer. Any way when it came home it proved to be a real stinker. First, it would fling the ocassional mty into my face. [Had to shoot with my mouth shut] Also, the slide would sometimes lock open on a partial magazine.

To be sure I was being fair, I put 400 rounds of Winchester Hardball thru the gun to make sure it was broken in. When the problems persisted, I called Kimber Customer Service and talked to Jay [I think]. I explained my problems and he said that he would take care of it. A few minutes later I recieved an e-mail from Jay with an attached UPS call tag and packing and shipping instructions. The next day [4/14/2010] my pistol shipped to Yonkers, NY.

Yesterday, [5/14/2010] a grinning UPS driver placed a box on my desk. My Kimber was back. After work, I loaded the Kimber up with the same Winchester Hardball that I had used before. 4 seven round magazines ran with out a hitch. No empties in the face and none of this slide locking open on a partial magazine. As a matter of fact, all of the empties landed at 4 o'clock. I then fired off 4 more magazines loaded with my own handloaded lead semi wad cutters. These worked flawlessly also. I even fired one magazine offhand with a one hand hold to see if the slide might lock open on a partial magazine. No problems.

My Kimber was malfunctioning. They paid for it to be returned. They fixed it, sending me an explination of their repairs, and they returned the pistol in working order. What more could I possibly ask for.

Other companies may have good warrantees also, but the Kimber is made in the USA and they stand behind their stuff. Since you are from PA you see the results of jobs being sent overseas.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbawl View Post
Yo... Tony:

I just read your Q @ 1440. Don't know what their warrantee states, but i know how it works.

Bout a month ago I saw a neat Kimber at Troxell's gun emporium. It has a Commander length barrel and an Officer's size frame. They call it "Compact Stainless II" I think of it as a Commanding Officer. Any way when it came home it proved to be a real stinker. First, it would fling the ocassional mty into my face. [Had to shoot with my mouth shut] Also, the slide would sometimes lock open on a partial magazine.

To be sure I was being fair, I put 400 rounds of Winchester Hardball thru the gun to make sure it was broken in. When the problems persisted, I called Kimber Customer Service and talked to Jay [I think]. I explained my problems and he said that he would take care of it. A few minutes later I recieved an e-mail from Jay with an attached UPS call tag and packing and shipping instructions. The next day [4/14/2010] my pistol shipped to Yonkers, NY.

Yesterday, [5/14/2010] a grinning UPS driver placed a box on my desk. My Kimber was back. After work, I loaded the Kimber up with the same Winchester Hardball that I had used before. 4 seven round magazines ran with out a hitch. No empties in the face and none of this slide locking open on a partial magazine. As a matter of fact, all of the empties landed at 4 o'clock. I then fired off 4 more magazines loaded with my own handloaded lead semi wad cutters. These worked flawlessly also. I even fired one magazine offhand with a one hand hold to see if the slide might lock open on a partial magazine. No problems.

My Kimber was malfunctioning. They paid for it to be returned. They fixed it, sending me an explination of their repairs, and they returned the pistol in working order. What more could I possibly ask for.

Other companies may have good warrantees also, but the Kimber is made in the USA and they stand behind their stuff. Since you are from PA you see the results of jobs being sent overseas.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. But what happens a year from now when something happens (hopefully nothing will) and the pistol isn't covered by the warranty anymore? IMO a lifetime warranty says that "hey we have a product, we stand behind our product, so here's a warranty for a lifetime"
Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Plenty of people on this forum have reported having their Kimbers fixed free of charge long after the 1 year warranty. If the written warranty is the most important thing for you then by all means buy a Springfeild.

I would think any factory defects ( which warranties are for) would show up in a year.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT PA View Post
Anyway, I heard the warranty stinks, thats why SA is the way to go!!
So is it safe to assume then that you just posted this to be a troll.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay45 View Post
Plenty of people on this forum have reported having their Kimbers fixed free of charge long after the 1 year warranty. If the written warranty is the most important thing for you then by all means buy a Springfeild.

I would think any factory defects ( which warranties are for) would show up in a year.

Yeah, I would hope so. and I'm not knocking Kimber just to clarify. I think they make a gorgeous pistol!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Just remember, whichever pistol you pick, get a good holster. Carrying without a holster is not usually a good thing.

Quote:
Yeah, I would hope so. and I'm not knocking Kimber just to clarify. I think they make a gorgeous pistol!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM

It's not like you'll buy just one. Try Kimber and SA.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Yep.

TROLL.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***d661 View Post
So is it safe to assume then that you just posted this to be a troll.

Not at all. Is it safe to assume that your reply to my question is not a reply, but a dig at me? BTW, trolls are cute. I like their hair!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned

Look what I started. People, I really like Kimber. I just wish they had a lifetime warranty that's all...
Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I did a search on here, but couldn't find anything regarding Kimber's warranty. (maybe I didn't search right) Anyway, can someone tell me about it? I would look on the site, but where I work the computer is resticted. Thanks!
Restricted...for good reason it seems. Maybe you should try actually WORKING and earning your pay!

Quote:
I love how 33 people viewed this , but know one could take the time to answer my question; hmm... guess the 33 people must not know or own a Kimber. Anyway, I heard the warranty stinks, thats why SA is the way to go!!

Don't get what you want, so now you Troll. Grow up, and get to work!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM

While I question the sincerity of the original poster, I will say that with a gun as prolific as the 1911, a factory warranty isn't that big a deal, unless there are glaring defects from the factory, which should be apparent right off the bat, there are many gunsmiths that can fix a 1911, and 1911 parts are available around every corner.

1911-Because when you run out of ammo, steel leaves a more lasting impression on a bad guy's forehead than plastic!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Look what I started. People, I really like Kimber. I just wish they had a lifetime warranty that's all...
Why? If you think it needs it why buy one?

FYI, someone else may have already said it but I kinda got turned off about 2-3 posts in and skipped most of it. Kimber stands behind the product. My pre-series II that I bought from the 2nd owner went back and was returned with a new slide (freak deal) and cost me nothing in theory. I say in theory because I couldn't be where it could be picked up quick enough at the time so I paid to ship it back at my request, but they tossed me a couple of mags to help cover it. And when I got it back it had new sights and a list of other freeby work like reworked the trigger group, bead blasted the frame etc.

There are many, many more out there like me. If a gun will need a warranty after a year of use, you don't need to buy the gun. But with Kimber, if there is an obvious product problem, they'll stand behind it.