1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 PM

Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 PII in .308

Today it's the first time I post pics of my

Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 PII in .308

here. This rifle always appealed to me, and as it is easy to find spare parts for it here as well as a knowledgeable gunsmith I decided to spend a little more and get this classic beauty. As far as optics is concerned i got a good deal on a Nightforce NXS 3,5-15x15, so this is what is on it now, mounted with the standard Steyr base and rings.

I'm sorry for the crappy pics, I didn't have daylight available any more. But I promise to post better pics soon. The group shown (100 metres) is not the best group I had , but I think it is not too bad either. It was the last group of the session I had last weekend where I used a business card of mine to cover the chewn out center of the target. This way it was easy to take it home and take a photo.

I haven't tried many types of ammo yet, but it seems that she likes Norma Diamond Line 168 gr. I do not shoot that much and I do not have the opportunity to reload, so for the moment I am going to stick with it.

Thanks for watching!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Wow, that's hot. It could only get any better if it had the double trigger setup.
SPC. Peter J. Courcy KIA 2/10/09
PFC. Jason R. Watson KIA 2/10/09
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Nice. I wish they still made them with the green stocks.

I had a Steyr SBS Tactical with heavy barrel a few years ago. It loved Federal Gold Medal (but then most guns do).

Enjoy it!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 PM

u should join steyr club, that's an amazing rifle, I love steyr products my m40 is great
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks for your kind words guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
Wow, that's hot. It could only get any better if it had the double trigger setup.
I think those triggers are OK on hunting rifles but personally do not like them on "tactical rifles". Whatever that means in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan8 View Post
Nice. I wish they still made them with the green stocks. ...
I was going to say, "they still do!", but the PI disappeared from their web site!? I still have them in 2009/2010 catalogues, and I handled one at the Steyr Mannlicher booth during the IWA trade fair in Nuremberg/Germany this March. I'll ask my dealer if he knows any details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan8 View Post
... I had a Steyr SBS Tactical with heavy barrel a few years ago. It loved Federal Gold Medal (but then most guns do).

Enjoy it!
Mine doesn't like the FGMM as much as the Norma Diamond Line. With the FGMM the best groups I can get are like the one shown above. With the Normas I usually can get at least two holes touching each other if I do my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidemxer View Post
u should join steyr club, that's an amazing rifle, I love steyr products my m40 is great
I'm about to do so!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 PM

That's a keeper!

For 25+ years I've had an original green-stocked PI that came with the 26mm 6x ZF69 scope (w/ 150 grain FMJ cam) and backup sights. Mine has the double set triggers, which work great. (You don't need to set the trigger if you don't want to, let-off w/o the set is just under 4 lbs; with the set, 3 oz.) It shot 150 grain factory hunting loads inside .75". I bought a 1" 10x ZF85 scope with 168 gr. cam to use with the 168 gr. Sierra bullet, only to discover that it shoots them about the same as the hunting loads. However, I found out a few years ago my gun loves handloaded 155 gr. match bullets--sub .5".

My law partner wanted one, but had to settle for a green PII (with DST and a 10x Hensholdt scope and 168 cam) when Gun South closed them out 10+ years ago. His gun shoots the the 168 gr. Federal match loads under .5". He too has killed deer and elk cleanly out past 500+ yards. Laser, dial and fire. They are wonderful guns.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:49 AM

Update

A couple of weeks ago I announced to post better pictures. Well I hope they are at least a bit better.

The good thing is: the groups got better, too.

Again, this was my last group of the day - 3 rounds of Norma Diamond Line .308 Win Match 168 gr. @ 100 metres, printed on a business card of mine.