1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > STI/SVI

Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 PM

How many rounds?

Hi guys,

I've always read that semiautos need to have a few hundred rounds fired through them before they can be considered reliable. So far, I've shot 300 rounds through my STI Spartan, with no failures of any kind. The only ammo I've shot through it so far are Remington UMC 230 grain JHP. (I have 1200 rounds of the Winchester White Box at my place in Orlando, but the UMC was the cheapest ammo I could find at home.) I was lucky enough to find 100 rounds of Winchester Ranger T for my self-defense load.

By way of comparison, I just bought a Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro for my concealed carry weapon while I'm working in Florida. In the first hundred rounds, I had 11 failures to feed, and 4 failures to eject. I've since run another 200 rounds through that gun, with 4 failures to feed, and no ejection problems, so it's definitely improving. From what I've read, these pistols need about 500 rounds before they're broken in, due to the very short barrels. My full-size Spartan has been 100% reliable, and a heck of a lot more accurate.

Anyway, back to my Spartan...It's fed reliably, and my groupings are getting tighter. I'm not sure if that's because I'm getting more familiar with the pistol, or that the new Pachmayr grips are fitting my hand better. Regardless, I'm just sort of wondering when you all consider a pistol "broken in" and dependable? The Spartan is my first 1911, and I have to say, I just love it.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 05-04-2010, 11:50 PM

Nice pistol!

As far as how many rounds before it is reliable... that depends. The last 1911 I "broke in" was a STI Trojan that I use for competition. It shot a "flawless" 750-ish rounds before I had my first jam.

I broke it in during practice sessions at first, then started feeling pretty good about it around the 5-600 mark so I started using it at matches. Sure enough, midway thru the second match I had a failure to feed (FTF) jam.

Turns out my extractor needed to be tuned and beveled, but that didn't show up until that point. I now have 4-5K round thru it, and have not had any malfunctions since.

It was probably somewhere north of the 1,000 round with no jams that I started feeling confident that the pistol was reliable -and that was with a certain type of bullet I reload with. To be honest, I've never shot any SD loads thru my Trojan, but I would want to shoot a "bunch" without giving me any problems before I had the same confidence in it.

But I also know how expensive SD ammo is...
Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks! Like I said, I just love my Spartan. I'm planning on shooting another 200-300 rounds before I try the Ranger T with the STI. I'll probably shoot at least another 500 rounds through the Taurus, to see how that's feeding before I start shooting the $1 rounds.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM

Hello: My Spartan 45 has over 5600 rounds and is still not broken in. It still has the finish on it in most spots It is a game gun for me and has been great and the fit is still tight. Now I just need to get 100 rounds on my Spartan 9mm Thanks, Eric
Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 PM

I have been really lucky. The Springfield and STI Trojan I have both worked just great out of the box. I did hit a range to shoot a couple hundred rounds to make sure they were sighted in properly before using them in a match, just to make sure.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircooled6racer View Post
It still has the finish on it in most spots
The right side of my slide only has about 50% of the finish left on it, left side is about 30% gone. Doesn't affect performance, so it's not a concern for me, other than to suggest that I do more practice draws than I actually do...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 PM

the popular number that I've heard is 5 hundo. I've put about 600 through my STI Duty One and am still having some consistent problems.....which I just posted a thread about....
I have a couple XDs that've always ran excellently (no failures, no break in period).
Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM

conceal carry cycle failure

I have talked to a few people and seen a few videos that go along the lines of cycle failures on smaller and lightweight 1911s. A lot of issues come from the grip, maybe try a new grip on the pistol they need a firm grip to cycle properly due to the shorter slide and stiffer spring set up.
Just an observation,
Ben

p.s. who makes the grips that you have on the gun in the pic?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Hi Ben,

The Taurus is a polymer-framed subcompact, so the grips can't really be replaced. I suppose I could look into one of those grip sleeves, but I think the feel is ok. I'm just hoping that a few hundred more rounds will loosen it up a bit more.

As for my Spartan, that's a Pachmayr grip. Like I've said, I love the Spartan, but I really don't think it's really a beautiful piece like some of the premium 1911s like Kimbers and Wilsons. I think the Pachmayr grips GREATLY improve the visual appeal of the Spartan, but most importantly, the feel is fantastic.

Thanks,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkid17 View Post
I have talked to a few people and seen a few videos that go along the lines of cycle failures on smaller and lightweight 1911s. A lot of issues come from the grip, maybe try a new grip on the pistol they need a firm grip to cycle properly due to the shorter slide and stiffer spring set up.
Just an observation,
Ben

p.s. who makes the grips that you have on the gun in the pic?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:02 AM

I just looked it up. My new grips are the Pachmayr American Legend Series.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:22 PM

Broken in for what???? I think that 300 or so rounds of hardball indicate that the pistol will function fine (disallowing a break or extractor issue) with more hard ball ammo. You can go ahead and break it down and do a detailed inspection/ clean and feel pretty good about it.

If you think that running hardball indicates that it is ready for self defense... well, only if you are running hardball for SD. Cartridge overall length will vary between ammo types as will the angle of approach of the cartridge as the bullet moves into the barrel. The flat truth is you need to run several mags of the SD ammo through the weapon to make sure it functions with it. Expensive yes.... but cheap compared to your life.

I have a couple of 1911's that will not feed non-hardball. I wouldn't have guessed it if I hadn't tried first....Also I have carried a pistol for SD with hardball because that is all that I had proved would function in it at that time.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
1911 Aficionado

"Break-in" rounds should prove or disprove reliability, they generally don't cause reliability. If I'd fired 300 rounds of factory ammo without a glitch, I'd say it's ready for prime time.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM

By breaking in, I meant loosening up the springs, and sort of "polishing" the metal where it moves.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:56 PM

You got better because you learned the trigger and how it wants to be held. The grip might help you index your hand consistently. Mine doesn't want the web of my hand pressed into the beaver tail the way some other guns do, it wants my hand a little lower.

I've noticed that mine likes the longer side of the reloading lengths, but it will shoot any commercial ammo reliably.

Get some snap caps and get used to drawing and firing a 1911 if this is your first.

Last edited by megathumpzilla; 05-13-2010 at 05:59 PM.