1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Advice about old RCBS Jr press

Folks,

I could use some advice. I need to get back into reloading to feed my new DW Valor that will hopefully arrive soon. I haven't done any reloading for 25 years, but I have a box-o-stuff in the attic. I have an old RCBS Jr press, and a Pacific Powder measure, and some dies for .357 and 10mm/.40.

Eventually, I plan on getting a modern progressive setup--probably a Hornady LNL. But for now, I want to get some dies and make use of the old system while I save some cash for a new system.

So, here's my question: what dies should I get that will work with the RCBS and later for the LNL? It looks like Hornady still makes bushings for my Pacific measure.

Thanks in advance for your input.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM

I have the RCBS JR also. and use it for rifle. Then I started in on the pistol cals. NOT MUCH FUN!

Any way bought the Hornady LNL, and I like the press a lot. I have both RCBS and Hornady dies for pistol. If I was you and you buy the Hornady press get Hornady dies. They have a longer threaded body and will work better with the quick change out bushings that your new press would come with.

I have also gone as far as thinking of sell the RCBS pistol dies and change to all Hornady dies for pistol cals.

Muzhunter
Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Muz,

So the new Hornady dies will fit the old press?

I recall loading 500 10mm rounds at a time on that old press... you are right, not much fun, but better than a stick in the eye or not being able to shoot.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post
Folks,

I could use some advice. I need to get back into reloading to feed my new DW Valor that will hopefully arrive soon. I haven't done any reloading for 25 years, but I have a box-o-stuff in the attic. I have an old RCBS Jr press, and a Pacific Powder measure, and some dies for .357 and 10mm/.40.

Eventually, I plan on getting a modern progressive setup--probably a Hornady LNL. But for now, I want to get some dies and make use of the old system while I save some cash for a new system.

So, here's my question: what dies should I get that will work with the RCBS and later for the LNL? It looks like Hornady still makes bushings for my Pacific measure.

Thanks in advance for your input.
I don't know if RCBS will have any dies in their stock for the Jr. or not. You might find some on E-Bay etc. If you had some custom bushings machined the Jr. dies may work in a 7/8-14 press if they are long enough. The custom bushings would probably cost more than new 7/8-14 dies though. Someone will probably be along shortly with a more definitive answer.

Looks like someone already made it!

Last edited by GOA Guy; 04-28-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought all presses and dies have all the same threads? Maybe, my press is called a jr partner?

This I know for sure, the press is not a rock chucker model, it is a RCBS the ram and handel is much smaller than the Rock Chucker. Never had to buy special dies. Both brands work in either press.

Call RCBS 1-800-533-5000

Muzhunter

Last edited by muzhunter; 04-28-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzhunter View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought all presses and dies have all the same threads? Maybe, my press is called a jr partner?

This I know for sure, the press is not a rock chucker model, it an RCBS the ram and handel is much smaller than the Rock Chucker. Never had to buy special dies. Both brands work in either press

Muzhunter
That would be a Partner.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 AM

I have an RCBS Jr press. Works fine with any standard die. I own Lee and RCBS dies. Borrowed Hornady, Redding, etc dies and never had a problem.

Loaded thousands of rounds over the many years I've owned the press. Santa refuses to bring me a better press - he says this one works fine so suck it up and deal with it.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 AM

It really doesn't matter much - I'll say Dillon or Redding Pro.

It really doesn't matter much - I'll say Dillon or Redding Pro. -

Most all presses and any likely to be encountered today use 7/8-14 threaded dies. In today's world the Dillon Square Deal B uses dies unique to that setup and in yesterday's world the Lyman Trueline Jr and other Lyman products uses a small thread die setup (can be bushed up to 7/8-14 but don't do it) - some very large cartridges - black powder, British Empire 50 Browning Machine and up - are bigger than 7/8-14 and demand different treatment.

Some dies as noted above are longer and some are shorter so that in the past some dies for very short - pistol - cases - required moving the lock ring below the tool head in the Hornady LNL because the die was screwed far enough down that the threads did not extend far enough up for the lock ring. With accomodation everything still worked.

Either RCBS or Hornady - or Lyman or Forster/Bonanza or Lee or ...... - will almost certainly work just fine in both the RCBS Jr. and in the Hornady.

Just the same I'd consider the Dillon or Redding Pro as being optimized for progressive presses - read the catalogs and sales literature - the Redding micrometer dies are easy to adjust from the top and there are other differences of taste.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 AM

Loading dies have followed the 7/8"x14 thread standard estabished by the old Pacific company over 50 years ago. Pacific was also the first to use the T-slot shellholders that everybody takes for granted now.

There are few exceptions in production. The Dillon Square Deal has its own proprietary dies to keep the size and cost down. You can still buy 5/8" dies for Lyman 310 tong tools and some of the old Lyman presses.

There can be some interference. Some old Lee dies have short threaded sections that do not work well in other brands of press. But they changed that about ten years ago.

You can get into interference with large lock rings on progressive loaders. But smaller ones are cheap. Dillon sells a very skinny one, and a wrench to fit.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the advice. This is helpful. It looks like I can get a set of 3 Hornady dies for $40:
CGND Nitride Full-length Sizing Die, CGND Adjustable Case Mouth Expander Die and CGND Seater Die with taper crimp.

And do I also need a separate Hornady Taper Crimp Die ($15)?

By contrast, the Redding Pro set of Sizing, Seating Die and Taper Crimp Dies is $138, plus a $20 expander die. Are these really worth the extra $$$ ?

Lastly, any suggestions on a good reloading guide?
COTEP #0381
--Dr. Evil
Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post
And do I also need a separate Hornady Taper Crimp Die ($15)?

By contrast, the Redding Pro set of Sizing, Seating Die and Taper Crimp Dies is $138, plus a $20 expander die. Are these really worth the extra $$$ ?

Lastly, any suggestions on a good reloading guide?
(1) Need? No absolutely not. In the single stage press it is technically possible but tedious to seat without crimping and then to subsequently crimp as a separate operation using the furnished die - adjustment gets tedious. Many people for many years have done just fine with a three die set. I prefer a 4 die set for straight walled pistol cartridges but then again I prefer to have a Lyman Type M expander to go with my dies and so on and so forth.

(2) Must be worth it to some people for some purposes, I suppose I'm often one but it's a hobby to me. Obviously folks load with dies from all the makers and I started out with a nutcracker tool when that was a cheap entry and could still make do with an old one. For most purposes most of the time economy is the way to go but then again for high production the more expensive dies may pay for themselves one way or another.

(3) Folks usually suggest ABC's of Reloading - in its many incarnations. For my money the old ones are worth seeking out for a solid grounding -the books by Phil Sharpe and Earl Naramore in the last as edited and updated editions are - taken together - a solid grounding. Richard Lee's Modern Reloading - as worked over and updated - is a useful modern book that belongs in the same company. Mostly I'd suggest seeing what your library has and can get interlibrary - Nonte and Wooters and others are often found in libraries.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 04-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks Clark. This is a big help.
COTEP #0381
--Dr. Evil
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 PM

I have an RCBS Jr. I have been reloading for about a year. It gets a little tedious loading .45 and .9mm, but works fine for rifle, which is my main thing. I kind of like loading in single stage for rifle.

My question - I had a heck of a time resizing LC 7.62. My whole press shook, and the plywood table bent. It was hard. I thought something was wrong, but I did some research and decided it had been fired in an M14 or FAL, and it was not unusual. But it got me to thinking about a better press as I will have more LC. I know a lot of people will say to move up to a progressive, but I really don't feel the need. It is not a volume thing.Would it be worth it to upgrade to an RCBS Rockchucker? Or would it have the same problem with LC? Or is there another single stage press out there that is better?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhayden View Post
Would it be worth it to upgrade to an RCBS Rockchucker?
I use my Rock Chucker to load for my .458 Win Mag and it works fine. You will need to make sure your bench (table) is heavy duty, but the press is more than strong enough.

"I'd rather be a hammer than a nail, yes I would, if I only could, I surely would."
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhayden View Post
My question - I had a heck of a time resizing LC 7.62. My whole press shook, and the plywood table bent. It was hard.
More solid bench needed - or put a thin steel plate under the press. You are using case-lube of some kind, right?

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM

Your bench needs to be rock solid with no give or flex when using your press. The Rockchucker press will give you more leverage but still need a good bench.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM

Using Imperial lube, and the bench is made of two 3/4 sheets of plywood glued and screwed together, and nailed to the wall studs in back. (I tend to over-build.)

Well, I guess LC is just tough stuff, then.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 PM

I have the predecessor of the RCBS Jr the old ca 1968 RCBS A-2 press. Any 7/8"x14 threaded dies set will work on the Hornady LNL or Dillon 550. You will find that the newer carbide sizing dies are much better than the old all steel dies.