1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Best 1911 magazines for JHP?

I've got a new Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec .45cal which came with two Springfield magazines that work perfect with FMJ rounds but won't feed JHP rounds into the chamber. The only JHP I have tried are the Winchester XPD1 and they jam every time. What is the best 1911 magazine for .45cal JHP rounds?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 AM

Everyone seems to rave about these.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/ca...1&idproduct=23
Old 04-28-2010, 01:28 AM

Hit the search button. Magazine discussions and recommendations happen weekly and there have to be dozens of threads out there already.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 AM

The magazine?

Mil Spec pistols sometimes do not like JHP bullets if they are not throated (the barrel that is) and polished. The type of magazine shouldnt dictate whether it will feed JHP over ball (fmj). I have used all different makes of magazines and they seem to work equally well with either ball or jhp in my throated guns. There is a quality difference between the magazines but they all fit and function just fine. Heck my .40 1911 will even feed out of standard 45 ACP mags, it just wont lock the slide back.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM

As noted it's an asked and answered question - try 47D's

As noted it's an asked and answered question - there's plenty of material out there to research the whole issue.

My understanding is that the Wilson 47D is mostly likely to compensate for other issues and so feed the largest selection of bullet shapes and lengths.

BUT the Wilson does this by getting away from the controlled feed designed into the 1911 by Browning.

There are old style feed lips - Browning design GI spec - wadcutter style feed lips and hybrid feed lips.

Myself I like the Wilson very much for games - but I don't expect them to last forever in hard use. I prefer the ChekMate 7's for social purposes in .45 Auto and if I want extra capacity which I don't mind having I go with my own preferred 9x23 - or a different pistol.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoman View Post
Everyone seems to rave about these.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/ca...1&idproduct=23
Got an 8rd version of these. Feed Winchester Silvertips just dandily. And they're generally slightly cheaper than Wilsons, CMCs, Tripps, or KimPros.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derweibhai View Post
Mil Spec pistols sometimes do not like JHP bullets if they are not throated (the barrel that is) and polished. The type of magazine shouldnt dictate whether it will feed JHP over ball (fmj). I have used all different makes of magazines and they seem to work equally well with either ball or jhp in my throated guns. There is a quality difference between the magazines but they all fit and function just fine. Heck my .40 1911 will even feed out of standard 45 ACP mags, it just wont lock the slide back.
I think this may be the best thing to investigate first. It may be easier and cheaper to try a cope different mags, but I'll bet you'll find it's not the mags. Just a finicky 1911.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Banned

midwayusa has springfield factory mags on sale right now. (actually made by metalform) these are all i use in my champion operator, and they've never failed me.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrob View Post
I've got a new Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec .45cal which came with two Springfield magazines that work perfect with FMJ rounds but won't feed JHP rounds into the chamber. The only JHP I have tried are the Winchester XPD1 and they jam every time. What is the best 1911 magazine for .45cal JHP rounds?
if both mags choke on these rounds, it's prob something else (extractor tensioned wrong, feed ramp/throat needs polishing....etc.).

call SA.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 AM

I got some check-mate magazines that work phenomenal so it wasn't the 1911.