1911Forum banner

Colt New Agent shoots 4" low at 7yds.

11K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  TREEMAN 
#1 ·
I've tried diff ammo diff weights and they all shoot 4" low at 7yds and of course lower down range. Any sugestions?

Jeff

#2 ·
Hard to say how low or high has any real meaning on a gun with those non-sights.

Obviously, you are going to have to figure out what the sight picture looks like when it is hitting where you want it to.

Maybe put some Crimson Trace Laser grips on it? I have them on my Defender and I like them.

#6 ·
My New Agent is very accurate. It took me about two magazines to get used to the trench sights. It's also been very reliable.

In short, mine is a great handgun.

I'd suggest you have some other people shoot the pistol and/or put it in a ransom rest before you give up and "put it on Gunbroker".:

IMO, that's bad advice and a cop out.

I think you need more time to get used to your pistol and maybe check your shooting technique.

#11 ·
Mine is also very accurate and I am very use to shooting it. Like yours mine is very reliable too. It won't be on Gunbroker. I dont claim to be the best shooter in the world but I've put about 700 rounds through it so far and for me it shoots about 4" low at 7yds. I love the trench sights you can accually see what you are shooting at with them.

#9 ·
Fire it over bags from a bench and figure out what the sight picture has to be for the trench sights. I doubt if your gun has a problem - but those sights would seem to take some getting used to! CC

#14 ·
a brain fart on the figures, but not on the concept. Its a small and snappy pistol, its easy to develop and expand bad habits. I often shoot off the bags to reinforce trigger and sight basics, its not wise $#$@ comments to suggest it. if you shoot with a friend, have him load it, maybe add a empty case or two if your gun will feed it or have him hand it to you "loaded" and try shooting it, and find out it was loaded with an empty case and your first trigger squeeze has a monumental flinch built in,

I have a buddy do this to me all the time, we laugh out loud when it happens but it teaches us to react to the shot, not to the thought of hte shot.

#19 ·
I shot about 50 rounds thru it this wkend and the same story. A 3" group centered 3.5" inched below aim point. I really think it's the gun but I also got to thinking that I maybe pulling them down in anticapation of the bite I'm getting ready to recieve from that GI hammer guard. Ouch. I'm going to get a beavertail installed and see if my groups come up.

#20 ·
I used to build Officer's ACPs quite a bit. They all seemed to shoot low with the sights I was installing. (only night sights available at the time) I expect the problem has to do with angular deviations within the lockup system. Government models with the same sights shot fine. The solution I arrived at won't work with the non-sights of the New Agent.

Have you considered changing aspects of how the pistol is held? A different mainspring housing profile or undercutting the trigger guard or a high ride grip safety? It might take some experimentation. I expect you could get the pistol to fit your hand differently and bring the group up to where you want it.

Just a thought. Hope it's of some use.

#22 ·
as others have said...

it took two magazines for me to figure out the best way to use the trench sight. I followed the sheet that came with the gun:

and get these results at 10 yards:

and when I first got it I went and shot 100 rounds for reliability:

Although I think shooting at a target 15 yards or farther away is a big stretch - with practice I think minute of man at 25 yards would be probable, once one gets used to the trench sights it is more the accurate for what it is intended - an up close and personal defensive weapon.

#24 ·
I second the comments about needing to adjust your sighting with the trench sight. When I first got my New Agent, it was shooting low with the way I "aligned" the trench. So, I moved the target in to about 15 feet, and started out trying different sight pictures. Where I found the trench needed to be is very similar to the picture Colt supplies with the gun. Basically, I look down the trench so it is perfectly flat (i.e. you can't see the trench, it just looks like one notch), the tilt the gun up until I can see the front wall of the ejection port cut in the slide. That sight picture seems to be the ticket.

I've thought about putting some white-out on that front ejection port edge to make it easier to pick up the correct sight picture in rapid fire. Basically, once I see that hint of white, I'm ready to fire.

#25 ·
Although I did not notice that sight pic page in my case that is the SP I have been using. I checked to see if it was in the case and it is.

Next time I go to the range I'm going to add some tape to the lower MSH to kinda build up an arched MSH and see if that brings up my groups..If that turns out to be the fix then it is easy enough to change out for an arched MSH.

#26 ·
Are you going by the pic (which is misleading compared to the written instructions!) or the text? As mentioned a couple posts up, as well as the description on the sight picture instructions, you should tilt muzzle up so you can see the length of the slide... not just make a pefect "U" shape like in the pic.

I rented one at my local range yesterday just to see what the trench sights were like. If you make that "U" sight picture, you shoot low. If you tilt it enough to just barely see the whole trench, it shot to point of aim. Also, now I am jealous of you guys that them! Very nice little package!

#28 ·
I rented one at my local range yesterday just to see what the trench sights were like. If you make that "U" sight picture, you shoot low. If you tilt it enough to just barely see the whole trench, it shot to point of aim. Also, now I am jealous of you guys that them! Very nice little package!
I'm kinda jealous that you have a range that rents a hard to find gun like the New Agent!

#29 ·
OP,

I had the same (or even worse) issue with my NA: 6" low and 4" right.

I was aligning the front and rear trench to perfectly look through a U... WRONG!

I even send back my NA to Colt for a test shoot and fix. They returned the gun including several targets with a 2-3" groups perfectly printed in the X.

Guess what... IT WAS ME! Flinch, anticipated recoil and wrong sight picture. I shoot a lot (IPSC) and consider myself a fair to good shot... but with regular sights! This trench sight system requires some practice.

Give it a try and shoot more.

#30 ·
I have not got to shoot it since I noticed this but the trench is not milled level with the top of the slide it gets deeper in the front. I have been shooting mine with the top of the slide flat but that will make the front of the trench low therefore shoot low. I bet I've found my error.

#31 · (Edited)
I bought a New Agent about 2 weeks ago and during my first range trip I shot 100 rounds of FMJ 230gr and my first shots were low and to the left about 5 inches. I was a little concerned but tried looking at the trench differently and also had success lining it straight then raising the front slightly to see the entire trench. After that I felt comfortable with my aiming and with some practice hope to improve even more. I think its more muscle memory then anything else, and will take some getting used to because everyone is accustomed to shootig with traditional sights. For me, I love my New Agent and will take the time to re-learn my thought process and carry it with confidence. Also my second trip I shot some 185gr Speer Gold Dot HP's and my aim improved and is what I keep in her for carry. Here's where I'm at now shooting from 10 yards;
If you like the gun keep Shooting and you'll get better! There was an attempt at a head shot, still low.

#32 ·
I was told most "gobblins" are shot at 10 yds. or less anyway, so even if it shoots a lil low it would be MOG (minute of gobblin) anyway.
Keep it, shoot it, carry it, if you need it you may not have the chance to use the sights anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.